Why wasn't black color option available in 2001 & 2002?

twhitepartners

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the market for a Gen2 Viper and have to have it in black/black. From what I have found it doesn't look like black was available in 2001 and 2002. I was just wondering if anyone knew why since it was available in previous years?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what the factory does, changes the colors every couple of years, except for red [which is the fastest!! :bolt:], the Viper red has been the same since 92 till now.

Motorhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So wait, has Viper Red changed in colour slghtly?

Viper Red has been available in its exact form every year since 1992. Viper aficionados are correct in that the Viper color strategy includes changing out certain colors every couple of years and then bring some of them back later.

Since you like Black, what do you think of Black Metallic? Are there any other colors (new or previously offered) that you'd like to see on the Viper?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deep Sapphire Blue was made in 2001 only! It's close to Black except in Sunlight when it becomes Midnight Blue. After I bought it, it became my favourite color - with silver stripes of course.

Ted

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at a '94 and an '04 side by side, and it seemed as though Viper Red on the '94 was a little darker/richer in colour than the '04. Could be my eyes playing tricks on me.

As a Viper enthusiast and from what others on the forums have said, Viper Race Yellow seems to be a very popular colour. Black Metallic is also an interesting concept. Deep Sapphire Blue was an amazing colour and it would probably look killer on the 2008...with graphite metallic stripes and tan leather.

Time to let the brain run wild... Stone White with Viper Black or even better....SATIN BLACK stripes and black powdercoated wheels. Almost as if you were looking at a negative or a black/white photo of the car. I am going to try to photochop that combo.

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent thread. I completely understand twhitepartners feelings! When I was looking for my Viper, Black/Black was the combination I most wanted. I also wanted the ABS brakes and Gen II body style. So, I searched for months and could only find black Vipers without the ABS and with the Cognac interiors. Finally, I found a TRIPLE black model!!! Black exterior/interior/engine... When I ran the Carfax, it said it was originally YELLOW! But after discussions with the owner, I found he had done the repaint right... doing inside the door jams, under hood, inside trunk, rebuilding the engine - EVERYWHERE. Now there is no yellow to be seen at all and I'm extremely happy to know I may have the only Black/Black/Black '01 Viper!

The Sapphire blue is a beautiful car, but the Cognac interior just isn't for me. Reminds me of the wife's Explorer. ;)

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Saphire Blue was available with a black interior. That's what I have although I didn't get stripes.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's another Pearle Blue car I built. I tried met. Black (Chrysler Sunfire) with Candy Blue stripes (15 coats) and then clear coat with Pearle Blue added. The car was midnight Blue in sunlight and Black at night with different colored lighting causing different color effects.

You must be registered for see images

After someone 'keyed' the car down the entire passenger side I repainted it with met. Black and Silver stripes - not as much "class". So the next year I painted it with Gloss Black and use a mix of Pearle Red and clear (10 coats) to try those effects. The best color combo I found. The stripes showed more than the Blue above, but they were Pink, Orange, and even sort of yellow. No red! Sounds bad, but it was definitely the best showcar paint job I did.

Sorry, but the ex-wife kept all those pics.

Ted

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dream On, I have the "only" black 97 because like you I had to have black and got this one needing paint/bodywork. Since I do paint and bodywork, it really didn't matter what color I painted it so guess what color?

Ron

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have liked Black on cars.... The Viper GTS black is the ONLY one I wanted.... when I lost my last one because I stupidly let someone else drive it and they wrecked it, I spent 2 months finding another black one...

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black is the best in my opinion. Here is a pic of my RT/10.

side_new.jpg

right_side_new.jpg

If you want a GenII in black, the years to choose from are 1999 and 2000. 99 was the last year for the forged engine. Gotta love the cognac int on a black car!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple. They introduced yellow, and it was so much faster they were embarrassed to paint one black. Note that they continued red for the folks who did not understand physics.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple. They introduced yellow, and it was so much faster they were embarrassed to paint one black. Note that they continued red for the folks who did not understand physics.

Ahhh the Internet, the home of mis-information. Travel with me back to the year 1992...

Dodge Vipers only came in red
Dodge finds out the insane speed capability was actually scaring some of the owners
Therefore, Dodge had to introduce new, slower colors so that they could sale future Vipers to those who couldn't handle the speed of RED

:D:D:D

GTSDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you'd like a Physics lesson regarding the speed of colour... Here you go...

Light travels the same speed through a vacuum at all wavelengths, but when we send the light through something other than a vacuum, like glass we see that light bends/slows, this is seen through snells law below

n1*sin(theta1) = n2*sin(theta2)

The parts of the equation n1 & n2 are called the index of refraction, this is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum divided by the speed of light in that substance, so an index of refraction of 1 means that you are in a vacuum, because the speed of light travels the same speed it would in a vacuum. But if you send light through water, water has an index of refraction and light slows down. The process of light slowing down bends the angle at which the direct ray of light travels, so the MORE light slows down the MORE it bends, now say you have a drop of water suspended in a vacuum above your head, white light(which is composed of all frequencies of visible light) hits this clear drop of water and is slowed down and bends, but the different frequencies of light that compose the white light bend different amounts (this amount is small but visible from a distance) the lower frequency light is less affected by the drop of water as it has a longer wavelength and oscillates a lesser amount of times through the distance of the water drop, the higher frequency light oscillates many times through the same water drop and is slowed down more because of it, so it bends more. This process is called diffraction and causes the spectrum of colors in white light to diffract when sent through matter. The blue light(higher frequency) is bent more and the red light is bend less and through this distance of bending is a gradient of light that we call a rainbow.

So, the speed of light is the same for all frequencies in a vacuum BUT when you send light through matter is slows down a certain amount, red light (lower frequency) travels faster than blue light (higher frequency).

The lower frequencies are affected less by traveling through matter, this is why infrared light is used in fiber optics as opposed to ultraviolet or visible light.

Using the Acronym "ROYGBIV", (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) Those are the colours of the spectrum from lowest frequency to highest frequency, so red light travels faster than all the colours that have a higher frequency than it.

So to sum up....

Red is proven to be fastest... :2tu:

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you'd like a Physics lesson regarding the speed of colour... Here you go...

Light travels the same speed through a vacuum at all wavelengths, but when we send the light through something other than a vacuum, like glass we see that light bends/slows, this is seen through snells law below

n1*sin(theta1) = n2*sin(theta2)

The parts of the equation n1 & n2 are called the index of refraction, this is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum divided by the speed of light in that substance, so an index of refraction of 1 means that you are in a vacuum, because the speed of light travels the same speed it would in a vacuum. But if you send light through water, water has an index of refraction and light slows down. The process of light slowing down bends the angle at which the direct ray of light travels, so the MORE light slows down the MORE it bends, now say you have a drop of water suspended in a vacuum above your head, white light(which is composed of all frequencies of visible light) hits this clear drop of water and is slowed down and bends, but the different frequencies of light that compose the white light bend different amounts (this amount is small but visible from a distance) the lower frequency light is less affected by the drop of water as it has a longer wavelength and oscillates a lesser amount of times through the distance of the water drop, the higher frequency light oscillates many times through the same water drop and is slowed down more because of it, so it bends more. This process is called diffraction and causes the spectrum of colors in white light to diffract when sent through matter. The blue light(higher frequency) is bent more and the red light is bend less and through this distance of bending is a gradient of light that we call a rainbow.

So, the speed of light is the same for all frequencies in a vacuum BUT when you send light through matter is slows down a certain amount, red light (lower frequency) travels faster than blue light (higher frequency).

The lower frequencies are affected less by traveling through matter, this is why infrared light is used in fiber optics as opposed to ultraviolet or visible light.

Using the Acronym "ROYGBIV", (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) Those are the colours of the spectrum from lowest frequency to highest frequency, so red light travels faster than all the colours that have a higher frequency than it.

So to sum up....

Red is proven to be fastest... :2tu:

Thats why Ferrari guys also prefer red

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PocketAA...
That is one beautiful Viper! Sweet ride!!! I love the chrome logo accents and intend to do the same on mine. But I'm serious... my wife's Explorer has Cognac interior and I'm sure THAT must slow the car down somewhat... with the top off anyway. (smirk) Just kidding you. Fortunately, there are different Vipers for different people.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DreamOn,
At first I thought the same thing. When I was looking I was looking for a triple black 99 or 00 RT/10. But then I saw the cognac with the black exterior and the more I looked at it the more I like it. The only thing that slows my car down is when there are hot young females on the side of the road admiring it...other than that it rolls :) To me if you have a viper, black is the only way to go! On a side note, it does show a lot of dirt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog