Will adding stripes effect value?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will adding stripes effect value? I found a Viper I like in my second choice of colors Sapphire, Graphite with Stripes is my first choice and Sapphire with stripes is my second. It seems to be a nice car (I haven't seen it in person yet) with low mileage under 5k and is all original but it does not have stripes like I wanted. I hate the thought of it going to a body shop to get painted especially since even the best shops seem to make a mess of your car and it won't be original anymore. I could go with vinyl stripes but I do not know if I will be happy with them. What are your thoughts.

Has anybody dealt with PremierCars? How are they? Are the cars what they said they were and how are they to deal with?

Thanks guys...

I am pretty sure I want to make the move and right now I only have two things I am skeptical of, I have a bum left hip and the Viper has a very heavy clutch. I just wish there was somebody in the area that would let me drive their car for a half descent ride to make sure it wasn't something that was going to really bother me. I know this is a lot to ask of somebody and really do not expect to get any takers on this but if anybody is in my area and wanted to help me out, I would be more than willing to return the favor however I could. And the second thing is getting into a car like this without a warranty, it would be really nice to find one with some of its 7/70 remaining.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of luck finding someone to let you drive thier Viper, Stock clutch's are not very heavy and engage smoothly. Graphite is a greatfirst choice. I can't think of a stock Viper color thats not nice to look at.
;)

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of luck finding someone to let you drive thier Viper, Stock clutch's are not very heavy and engage smoothly. Graphite is a greatfirst choice. I can't think of a stock Viper color thats not nice to look at.
;)
Yes, I am not really expecting anybody to let me drive their car as I think I would be pretty skeptical about doing that as well. I think if I do get it and find I do not like the clutch or car I am sure I could get out of it for what I payed for it, my cars usually look better after I own them for any length of time. If I keep it long enough prices may even rise to where I could make a few bucks, who knows. But I suspect it will be a keeper and I would maybe get another Z06 for a driver down the road.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agent...the clutch is light. It's hydraulic. (The clutch in my Cobra would more likely be a problem for you.)

I'd avoid painting stripes on...may hurt value in the future. But..if it's what you want...do it.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agent...the clutch is light. It's hydraulic. (The clutch in my Cobra would more likely be a problem for you.)

I'd avoid painting stripes on...may hurt value in the future. But..if it's what you want...do it.
Thanks Matt, I think I would wait for a car with stripes. The dealer offered to put them on for 1500 bucks but if it is anything like the old vettes it will hurt the value. He has the perfect Graphite car with stripes also but wants too much money considering the mileage IMHO.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, adding stripes will cut the value of your investment by 50%.
There may be some residual value in it however if used as a vehicle.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, adding stripes will cut the value of your investment by 50%.
There may be some residual value in it however if used as a vehicle.
50%, wow, :shocked: I didn't think it would effect value that much. I guess I will wait for one with the stripes.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd add vinyl stripes. Alot of people here have done it and its hard to tell the difference. Even with factory painted stripes, there is a thickness to it and you can feel it under the clear coat.

With Vinyl, you can always remove it if you want.

V

venms96

agentf1,

You drive to Harrisburg, Pa. I'll let you drive my car. NO PROBLEM. Being this is a forum, and people helping people, that's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't have to begin and end with a silly post. I have no problem allowing you to drive my car and it's a stock pristine 96 GTS. I'll be in the passenger seat of course, and I'm not in fear of you doing anything to my car while I am sitting there. If it's just a clutch feel thing, what's the big deal. I saw your list of cars, you're no Newbie, and I know you would respect my offer, just as I'm trying to help you out as well. It would be worth the 1:45 minute drive, but there are Viper owners closer to you in Philly. Maybe they'll jump in here.
I let a 19 yr old kid, son of a friend of mine drive my car. I'll never forget the look on his face, and he'll never forget his first and maybe only drive in the Viper.
Come on down, (I'll tell you how many RPM's you're allowed), and I'm sure you'll like the ride, and the clutch.

And......no, I don't think painted stripes will hurt the value that much at all. If a purist is buying the car, it will bother him, but there are more buyers out there who won't care that the stripes were added on, as long as they are done correctly. Plus, there are guys that either want the stripes, or they don't, so if you sell it, I doubt it will effect the value to a guy who wants a striped car. My opinion of course. And no way will it make a 50% difference in value.

Let me know about the test drive. PM me, supply me with your phone number.

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
nice post venms96..I brought my 95 simply to enjoy and will be getting the stripes painted on this winter because I will like that look..while I know it will no please everyone as long as i feel happy about it and enjoy it thats all that matters..clutch is not that hard seems my sho was harder...3 mobths I had my 95 really enjoying the ride..let everyone sit in it and take pics and really enjoy the attention the car gets..I think owning one of these cars you have to expect that...agentf1 dont worry to much about the stripes if you like it and buy a car without get it done and enjoy...venms96 your a nice guy

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do vinyl for about 300$ only pull them off when the paint is really cold or you will have to do cleanup of adhesive.

buy the car, do the stripes.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are unsure at the stripes for any reason, then do it in vinyl first. Live with it for a while, make sure you really like it. If you do, then I'd suggest painting them on. Vinyl is not at all a permananet solution. Only lasts a few years + or - depending on how much the car sits in the sun. They can also shrink a little bit in the hot sun, leaving an adhesive residue on your paint that will then gather dirt. Also be aware that metallic vinyl stripes have a much shorter life span than flat colored stripes. We had a set of metallic silver stripes on our red miata. Looked great but in less than a year, the silver started to dull and even yellow a bit in the areas that saw the most sun. Went to remove the stripes and they just came apart. Left an absolute mess of adhesive on the car. Nasty clean up. If you were worried about resale value or anything, then sure, put vinyl stripes on it, but get them removed in a couple years and reapplied with fresh stuff so that you don't have to worry about them deteriorating.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job venms96! Agentf1: KepRght is Rght on. Do the vinyl right, and if you ever sell, remove them. No one will know or care.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh, I did also want to mention, that I had vinyl stripes on my mustang for two years and while it wasn't always garaged, it was always under covered parking, except when I drove it to work. And when I removed the stripes to sell the car, the paint had faded a bit, and there were ghost stripes where the vinyl used to be. Something else to think about, but that would depend upon how much sun your viper sees.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aha, another bad hip guy, I have one too as a result of an auto accident a few years back. You may remember me as a guy who has debated Corvette vs. Viper with you a few times. Always good fun. You may also remember I have owned a bunch of Vettes and still own a 69 427. Now the facts...

1.If you can drive a stick shift Vette, you can drive a Viper. The clutch is very light. I think my GTS clutch is actually lighter that my L36 390 Vette.

2. I respectfully disagree 100% with the reduction of any significant value depreciation of adding stripes. Let me put it in Corvette terms. You find a 67 Corvette in a barn that has been repainted pearlescent purple but you do your homework with the trim tag and find out it's a black car, you buy a nice paint job and take it to Barrett Jackson and make a $100,000 killing. It will be 10 years before "originality" hits the Gen 1/2 Vipers anyway.

3.Do vinyl, it's obviously reversible with NO negative effects and I have been fooled countless times standing next to cars with vinyl SILVER stripes, and mine are factory painted. We have a guy down here, I think his user name is 1 or one mean snake who does a nice job. If you want the best paint stripes you are within a short distance of the best guy in the country in south jersey.

4. If you still think you need a drive PM me, I'm only two hours away.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venms96, Lee and everybody else who offered me a drive in your Viper, thank you very much, it is VERY generous of you all. I may take one of you up on your offer if I decide to pull the trigger on a one of the cars I am looking at. As alot of you know I have been on the fence about this decision for quite some time now. I have a lot of people and even friend that have owned a Viper telling me not to do it and then another group of people and my gut telling me to do it. I think the only way to find out is to do it. I really do not think I can lose even if I find out it is not for me short of buying one with a major problem. I have enjoyed reading the forum and even enjoyed the vette viper debates :D and have learned a lot from you guys. I guess we will see what happens and if I can find the right Viper and sell the vette to the right person and all the stars are aligned properly maybe I will be a member soon. :headbang:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO WAY having stripes painted on affects the value 50%!! I would really like to know where some of you come up with this stuff. My car is FAR from stock, including the painted on stripes, and while it may deter some buyers I get so many compliments from other people saying how good the sripes look and I get phone calls every day inquiring about my car since it is for sale. I did start off with vinyl though. I loved the look so much I then had them painted on. Do what you want, either paint or vinyl. It will be your car so do what makes you happy.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone loves stripes, look at all the pics under most every ones login name and their car will have stripes. Stripes balance the contour of the car.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. What GTS02 said......NOT!

The max the value is decreased is the value of a new paint job. I have seen the Premier Cars adds for some time now. They look like nice cars, but with a price.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. What GTS02 said......NOT!

The max the value is decreased is the value of a new paint job. I have seen the Premier Cars adds for some time now. They look like nice cars, but with a price.

I don't see a pic of your unstriped car posted , all I'm saying is what I see.
:rolleyes: I'm not saying I don't like Vipers without stripes , All Vipers look great. I just see more w / stripes
:2tu:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just messing with you. I guess I am the self proclaimed no-stripe guy here.

You are absolutely correct.....more people have stripes than not. The data backs up your comments. No harm meant to you.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would concur that added stripes should not be causing a 50% reduction....but while we are talking about values 10 years from now, it's possible that a "rarer" no stripe car may be of more value. (And I love the stripes)

We really cannot compare the value of an old vette for example, to the future of the Vipers. There are still lots of pristine Vipers around that have had no paint work, etc, that will bring the best money. Cars that need to be painted to be stock again will not bring as much.

My thinking is that Vipers, Z06s, the new Shelbys, GT40s, etc, are being put away for future collectible status....or at least fanatically maintained and driven infrequently. Years ago, very few cars had this luxury. If we were to compare two identical vettes, one with the aformentioned fresh black paint...or a good as new original paint car...which would bring the higher dollar?

Agent...one final bit of advice...and you know what free advice is worth....if your gut is telling you to get a Viper...do it. My experience has been that a gut feeling will never let you down.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agentf1, you have been around since 2001 and have over 600 posts and no viper yet? Talk about due diligence! :laugh: Obviously you have more patience that the majority of us and if you continue with your patience you will find a viper priced right that is not that terribly far away that you can buy right and can turn around and resell it for appx the same $ if you decide you don't like it. Chances are you will be an ex-vette guy like most of us and will wonder why you did not do this sooner. In any event, good luck to you.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've sold a soft top to Chris who works at Premier. He's a good guy from what i know.
YOU WILL like vinyle stripes, i put them on my Viper a few months ago and HOLY MOLY...I LOVE THEM!! As far as affecting value? I could care less i dont plan on selling it and if i do, i think it looks a hell of alot better with the stripes. Check out my gallery of my before and after pics!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will vinyl stripes leave a ghost stripe in the paint when they're removed? As in the sun fading the car's paint over time, while the paint hidden beneath the vinyl doesn't fade and shows up when the stripes are removed?

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agentf1, I'm not sure which suburb of Philly you're in, but I'd probably let you drive my car as well (I only say probably because I'd just like to meet the person and talk to them before I give them the keys). It really doesn't bother me either to let someone who's truly interested in the car check it out. Besides, I may have to go through having others drive it soon, as only a very short time after buying my Viper, I've decided that I may have made the wrong choice and am looking to sell the car. Which makes me really frustrated with myself as I agonozied over the decision to buy it. So I may well be letting people drive it soon anyway. I'm in Pennsburg, which is near Quakertown.

Steve
'99 Viper GTS black w/Cognac

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agentf1, you have been around since 2001 and have over 600 posts and no viper yet? Talk about due diligence! :laugh: Obviously you have more patience that the majority of us and if you continue with your patience you will find a viper priced right that is not that terribly far away that you can buy right and can turn around and resell it for appx the same $ if you decide you don't like it. Chances are you will be an ex-vette guy like most of us and will wonder why you did not do this sooner. In any event, good luck to you.
Yes, I certianly have done my due diligence. I picked up the Z06 in 01 and that has kinda kept me pacified but I find myself still wanting more. The Z really is a great car and had it been a regular vette I would have never bought it and would be in a Viper as we speak.

agentf1, I'm not sure which suburb of Philly you're in, but I'd probably let you drive my car as well (I only say probably because I'd just like to meet the person and talk to them before I give them the keys). It really doesn't bother me either to let someone who's truly interested in the car check it out. Besides, I may have to go through having others drive it soon, as only a very short time after buying my Viper, I've decided that I may have made the wrong choice and am looking to sell the car. Which makes me really frustrated with myself as I agonozied over the decision to buy it. So I may well be letting people drive it soon anyway. I'm in Pennsburg, which is near Quakertown.

Steve
'99 Viper GTS black w/Cognac
Thanks Steve, I can't say I blame you for wanting to check me out before handing over the keys. Sorry to hear you may have to sell soon. I hope it is not for the wrong reasons or hardship. I will keep everybody in mind and appreciate all the offers. I really would LOVE to find one close from a private party and do not want to jump into anything just for the sake of owning a Viper. I am sure if it is in the cards I will find the "right" one for the right price. I need to track down the guy that showed an interest in my vette right now. :2tu:

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the stripes add drag to the car especially them *** boy GTS honda accord look a likes.when you have a manlyman RT/1O with out stripes the car just seams to flowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.sripes are for GTS dudes who wanna be a RT /10 drivers butt dont look good in open air.. stripes belong on the hwy or if your from tenn on the roof of your house ......