Winding noise in trans tunnel area.

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have a winding noise coming from the trans tunnel. its in all gears and progressivley gets louders as RPMs go up. Has anyone come arcross this before? This is a on 94 with 33,000. Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HUH ? "Winding" ? Im thinking of my fishing reel here.....or the sound of Wind blowing past the tranny?

Do you mean Whining? As from a Whine?

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ha there could be the winding noise that is made when something is wound up real fast or unwound real fast like a fishing ree and the RPMs in a trans or wherever this is coming from.

Or there is the whining noise that can be from somethign making a annoying noise.

So back to the topic has anyone had this problem or any idea what it might be? thanks

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did you last change your drivetrain fluids? Did you stick with Mopar lubricants for the trans and diff?

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did the trans 2 years ago 6000 miles roughly, then just redid it no change. rearend did 6000 miles ago aswell. non mopar fluids

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Had that problem last month. Diff bearings were toast. Don't drive it till you get it fixed. You will need to get the Diff bearing kit rebuilt, if that is truly what is wrong with your car as well.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a whining noise in my tunnel and it turned out to be the pinion bearing in the rear diff.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did the trans 2 years ago 6000 miles roughly, then just redid it no change. rearend did 6000 miles ago aswell. non mopar fluids

The Mopar fluids are pretty good. What are you using in the trans and diff? Thanks.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
? This is a on 94 with 33,000. Thanks

anyone have an idea why these would go with only 33,000 on them?

Lack of use, maybe? Maybe the oil film gets thinner than on a car that is used "normally" so that there are more opportunities for semi-dry operation? I'm not convinced that the quest everyone has for a low mileage car is the great idea that many think it is.

Perhaps a good question for Tom F&LGoR.