Wipers having a mind of thier own.

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody else ever have the problem where the wipers come on without turning them on. Usually happens when I just put the key in or take it out. Never when i am driving. It cycles back and forth about a half dozen times then stops. It is annoying. I can't find a short. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a fairly common problem with the Caravan/Voyager/Town and Country vehicles. They will have the wipers come on at random times for no reason. Problem is with the BCM. Viper may, or may not be the same wiring design concerning the wiper cicuit. What year is your car?...I can look up a schematic and help you find the culprit, or at least lead you in the right direction. ......Or one of the other Viper tech dudes will chime in and say "its the BCM" or "it's the multi-function switch" or "it's a ground shielding problem on the data bus circuit". I don't have any 'hands-on experience' with the gen II, but a lot of experience with all other Chrysler vehicles. I will try to help as much as I can. -Allan

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did your problem start after a low battery voltage cranking situation? I've had control function Issues where, for example the blinkers will actuate the horn or the headlights, The fix was simple. Disconnect your battery at the battery for 10 minutes,( Not less), Make sure your battery Is fully charged and hook it back up. That usually fixes it, Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank all of you for your help. My car is a 99 and The battery was dead when I purchased the car. Thank god the problem hasn't effected the gas peddle. It just does it usually at start up or shut down but has never happened while driving. Thanks again for your help. I will try the disconnect.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious if the battery disconnect fixes the issue. :rolleyes:

Concerning the gas pedal though, That is a very important part of your car. If it is working properly, it can be used to scare people in the passenger seat. Sometimes, it will scare YOU. .....If this is the case, that's normal.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must agree. I will try that fix in the next few days hopefully. This may sound stupid but again i am new to the viper but is there anywhere to disconnect the battery without having to go thru the wheel well. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again