Wiring from stereo head unit to amp for AVIC-N1 install?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the path is for the wires that go from the stock stereo head unit to the stock amp that is located in the trunk of a 2001 RT/10? I am going to try to fish some wires in there through the trunk grommet and I don't have a service manual yet.

I'm installing a Pioneer AVIC-N1 and plan on putting "the brain" in one of two places.
1. In the trunk where the amp was.
2. Under the passenger seat.

I have an iPod unit for this unit and would like to put the iPod in the glove box between the two seats but I haven't figured out how to wire this yet.

For thos that might have this unit or the N2, is it powerful enough without a supplimental amp? Can I do anything with the speaker in the middle?

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Santo

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're better off putting the module under the pass seat. Doesn't it require a DIN cable to connect the 2 modules? You would need a very long (& expensive) DIN cable if you put it in the trunk.

There's plenty of power from the N2 amp. However what do you want to do with it? Do you just want to listen at low levels and how much do you care about sound quality? Most people use a supplemental amp to get better bass response and sound quality.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks GTSnake,

I have an additional 150W powered Bazooka tube subwoofer that I will also hook up depending on how it fits. If I decide on a different subwoofer setup then I'll get a separate amp for it.

I still need to know what path the wires to the trunk take, even if I put the brain under the passenger seat. I need to get to the speakers and make it work in such a way that I can put back the old system possibly.

Thanks for the advice.
Santo

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a bazooka too. I got tired of it pretty quickly. It just didn't have the bass response that I wanted. I ended up with a JL W7. You will need a speaker wire chart that you need to splice into. You can find the wire codes at

http://www.the12volt.com/default.asp

If I can find my old copy I'll scan it and post it.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the AVIC-N1 outboard unit under the driver's seat. Since you have to install it within 30 degrees of horizontal near the center of the car, under either seat is much preferred over the trunk. And, its a lot easier - if you have a long extension (on the order of 18", for the rear bolts), its really easy to pull the seats.

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm installing a Pioneer AVIC-N1 and plan on putting "the brain" in one of two places.

Santo

So how did the install go? I have the same stereo arriving in the next couple of days. Did you change out the speakers? If so what did you use and how does it sound? Was the amplifier good enough or did you add one with more power?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually ran out of time and didn't install it yet. I was going to do it myself but I bought a used unit that had an extended warranty from Best Buy and it's transferrable but I think Best Buy has to install it to be transferred. The car is in storage now but it's one of the first things I'm going to have done. I think I'm going with the head unit only (no extra amp) and possibly a bass tube (my old 8" 150 watt marine unit) if it fits in front of the passenger seat. I won't change the speakers until I hear it. I also have the iPod attachment ready to go.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but if you do your own, I'd love to hear how it went.
Santo

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I'll let you know, planning on doing the install myself. I am fairly handy with a soldering iron and have installed units in many other cars. I did purchase the wire adapter so I don't have to cut the ends off the factory plug. I am planning on running new wire to each speaker as well. It's raining small household animals here so I know the feeling of not driving the beast.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning on running new wire to each speaker as well.
While you're running the wires through the door hinges you might as well check for broken or about the break wires.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I finally did the Pioneer AVIC N1 install myself in my 2001 RT/10. I checked the usual sources (stereo installer stores) for a harness (male power input/female amp output) that would match up with the stock Alpine unit so that I didn't have to cut wires and I didn't find one. It seems there's conflicting info here too if one even exists. I went to an electronic components store and picked up a 8-pin female DIN plug that would match up with the stock amp and I bought two single rows of eight male pins (like the computer motherboard kind for floppy/hard disks) and that worked like a charm. I worked but it's not pretty, however, I didn't have to cut into the stock wiring harnesses which was a huge bonus. Doing it this way, I did all the wiring inside by mating the 2 Alpine and 2 Pioneer wiring harnesses properly with a soldering iron and everything.

Putting the head unit in was trivial after that but I didn't screw down the "brain" yet since I have to finish up on the iPod interface tomorrow. I did take a cruise and the stereo sounds unbelievably good with the stock amp and stock speakers. Okay, I think I blew the middle rear console speaker already but it actually didn't provide a bad bass response. You won't win any stereo competitions with it but it's good with the hard top on. I have no idea what it'll be like going *******.

Anyway, there is hope for the stock sound system that we have. I was going to change out everything but decided to try one thing at a time. From previous threads, it sounded like the speakers needed to be replaced first but, again, there was conflicting information so since I already bought the head unit for the MP3 player, I thought I'd try this first. I am quite happy with the sound. In fact, I'm so happy that I don't even think I'll keep the old head unit in case I sell the car. Whoever would buy the car would curse me to no end :)

Three 6 Mafia, Juelz Santana and Nelly sound pretty damn good even without a subwoofer. Thanks for everyone's advise and I hope this helps someone out in the future.

Santo

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put an 8" Kicker sub woofer above the glove box in the center, had to modify where the stock speaker goes by trimming the lip and cutting out a hole in the top rear behind the speaker (where it does not show).

The sound is great even without an amplifier as long as I open the door to the glove box, otherwise the door rattles. I have not tried to adjust it to stop the noise yet. I put the iPod in the glove box by running the wire under the carpet by the parking break then down the hole where the alarm switch is (the switch just rests inside the box).

If you look at my pictures on page 3 http://gallery.viperclub.org/showgallery.php/cat/all/page/3/sort/1/perpage/12/ppuser/10128 it shows the modifications for the sub. Good Luck...

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply WICKDXS.

You helped me on two fronts. First, your gallary pics confirmed for me where the GPS sensor should go. Second, I thought I blew the rear centre speaker but it turns out that the glove box door was where the rattle came from. Openning it made the noise, which I thought was a cracked speaker, go away. Now I can say that the stock speakers are actually pretty good.

My iPod is in the glove box too but I drilled a gap into the rear of the box so that the iPod connector would fit in. I wish the iPod has a better interface on the AVIC-N1 but it will do. I thought it was kinda cool that the iPod displayed the Pioneer logo on it's little screen while it is connected.

You da man! Thank you.
Santo

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your welcome, I added some Boston Acoustic Pro's to the doors, if you think the factory speakers sound good you should look into those. I purchased them on line from an e-bay seller they arrived as promised for about $350 US.

We recently spent some time in Quebec City, wow what a town and the food is to die for. Your a lucky guy to be that close.

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32