Wonder what the discussions are like over at Chevrolet

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the release of the Gen V information, I wonder how things are going over at Corvette central.

With all the new upgrades to the new Viper, and the information leaked so far about the next generation vette, I can only imagine they are going to be fit to be tied, with this huge leap by the competition.

Just have to believe that many many more customers will be leaving the Corey Vetsucks showrooms, and planning to make the jump to Viper.

I cannot imagine any Viper Owner that I know considering getting a new vette instead of the New Viper.

How they going to compete with a carbon fiber body, Ferrari seats, fully stitched leather interiors, more hp and torque, and the promise of a kick ass factory assault on their turf.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when they come back from Easter break to realize that the competition is out to clean their clocks : >)

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the release of the Gen V information, I wonder how things are going over at Corvette central.

With all the new upgrades to the new Viper, and the information leaked so far about the next generation vette, I can only imagine they are going to be fit to be tied, with this huge leap by the competition.

Just have to believe that many many more customers will be leaving the Corey Vetsucks showrooms, and planning to make the jump to Viper.

I cannot imagine any Viper Owner that I know considering getting a new vette instead of the New Viper.

How they going to compete with a carbon fiber body, Ferrari seats, fully stitched leather interiors, more hp and torque, and the promise of a kick ass factory assault on their turf.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when they come back from Easter break to realize that the competition is out to clean their clocks : >)

With the ZR1 I doubt if they are too worried about the new Viper except the weight advantage. It will be interesting to see a head-to-head competition though.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the ZR1 I doubt if they are too worried about the new Viper except the weight advantage. It will be interesting to see a head-to-head competition though.

Considering it just got waxed at the Ring by a 2010 I would think I would be concerned if I worked there.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget Ralph's wink wink comment during the gala about the "forged internals" of the new engine. I have ever confidence that SRT is planning a forced induction option to compete with the NEW ZR1. Especially since the Viper nation, despite all the blustering about NA power, doesn't seem to have a real problem with superchargers or TT builds. To my mind, SRT will likely diversify the brand to compete with a range of other makes. They will be more expensive than the GM competition, but obviously more exclusive, faster, and better quality. I see the match up with chevy looking something like this...

SRT/GTS = Corvette/Grandsport
Track car (ACR?) = ZO6
Forced Induction Car = ZR1

Clearly, SRT knows that it isn't competing with the current range of cars per se, but the next generation of the Vette, the GTR, the Gallardo, etc. If anything, I think SRT might have left a little too much on the table for the launch car, BUT it is clear from watching the SRT videos and the references to the SR-71 Blackbird, that SRT is committed to staying ahead of the competition no matter what it takes. If Chevy comes out with something awesome, then SRT will come out with something more awesome. The Viper is the halo car of the whole brand and if you know anything about the principle of "anchoring" when it comes to setting prices, you know that they set the price of the GTS Viper at $140,000 (assuming) not because they want to sell a bunch of Vipers, but because they want to sell a bunch of other SRT cars. Compared to a $140,000 Viper a $45,000 Challenger looks like a bargain. This is a VERY different game than the one Chevy is playing. Unless Chevy breaks off the Corvette brand, it's going to be very difficult for them to be agile enough to compete directly with the performance of the Viper. Chevy is still very top-heavy and they are much more focused on having a diversified portfolio of cars. SRT, while still ultimately lead by Fiat, has been given a lot of autonomy to ensure that it capitalizes on its head start in the performance car enthusiast market. Now, my family worked for GM for many decades and I'm the biggest Vette fan, but from what I can see Chevy doesn't have much hope in "beating" the Viper according to the rules that SRT has established. The Viper will be the performance, exclusivity, and technology king. The Vette will settle for second and likely make more money...at least directly. Again, the Viper isn't there to make money just for itself. It isn't just one line item. It represents the brand and in that sense, the discussions at GM about the new Viper are likely very short. I imagine they are spending a lot more time talking about the new Impala.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually GM is sitting in a good position. They know the Viper Horse Power numbers and the GT 500 HP numbers. The 2013 GT 500 crushes the Camaro's HP numbers so they could take the Vette to 700 HP or 750 HP and allow the Camaro to go up in HP. At 700 HP they be a good amount over the Viper. As far as electronics go GM has been way ahead of the game. They have a great traction control system. Heads up Displays etc,,

The GM / Delphi magnetic ride control is one of the best systems in the world. It's been reported the new version can adjust the cars suspension every inch of road travel at 60 MPH ,, it's that fast to react. The components are light and the systems have great flexibility for the factory to set up. I think the true testament to the system is Ferrari's adaptation on their cars. That speaks volumes..

The biggest turn off for me with the Vette's have been the looks. Just not exotic or radical enough for me.. and the Vette stereo type is always there,, The Viper is way ahead of the current Vette's in the looks department. The new Viper interior is also going to raise the bench mark for the Vette / Viper rivalry,, :eater::eater:

Last edited: