WTB: 96/97 GTS Blue/White CASH BUYER $35K

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a NO BS cash buyer for a 1996 or 97 GTS Blue with White stripes....Looking for a stock car.....Send me a PM and I'll get right back to you.

Thanks

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think a year ago that might have been possible but now you are easily $10,000 or more off if you want a clean one

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
are there no more GTSs in the 35k price range?

You think the prices will go up more?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96/97 Blue/Whites are some of the most sought after Vipers. They hit just the right cord with the American Racing colors, and the tradition of Blue/White Shelbys.

They always have carried a significant premium over the Red cars of the same years.

For the even more rare, unmolested stock cars with reasonable miles, and the stunning gen II Coupe styling they are going to be in high demand.

A few years back when the economy took the big hit, some were let go at these prices, but those days may be gone.

You may find a hard run track car, or one with older modifications at that price, or one with accident history/title issues, but for a clean one with no mods/stories, it might be a hard find.

I had a Blue/White 96, and of all my Vipers, that was the one with the greatest emotional attachment.

(never hurts to look though)

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking for a garage queen.....I'll be more than happy to hand over my THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH to a seller with a car that ....Has some miles on it, needs tires, has some scuffs on the front facia, maybe needs some delayed service work. I want something to DRIVE...Not a 5000 mile car that never gets used.

I have to say......I LOVE IT when people tell me "YOU CAN'T BUY A CAR FOR THAT MUCH"

These are the same types of people that say it's impossible to buy HOUSES for $30K and sell them a week later for $70K.....But I've been doing THAT for years now....(Just sold another one yesterday)

I'm a patient guy....I can ALSO come up on my price if someone wants to discuss that....

The bottom line is this.....

I can close this deal YESTERDAY for a seller.....I don't need a BANK LOAN, my wife's permission, or a team of mechanics to look at a car....I've had an RT/10 and know what I'm looking at.

Contact me if you want to actually SELL your car instead of dealing with STROKERS who couldn't buy a ham sandwich.

Last edited:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of people buy vipers for cash...sorry but its no big deal in the viper world......seems like you want one ASAP so hit ebay, craigslist, autotrader because you are posting a Wanted Thread and be prepared to spend more then 35K, i would gladly spend more for one that does not need work verses spending 5k between tires and fixing random problems to get on in the hypothetical 35K price range......sure you can WAIT and TRY to find one that is 35K but pricing are going up fast and the longer you wait the farther you will be from what you can realistically buy one today, people that have BW know what they have and know they are worth much more money then other colors

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need one ASAP.....And your points are good ones Johnny

But I've done this before....

I owned a car dealership for 20 years before moving into real estate investing. Here's what I learned....

If you WANT to buy certain cars......ADVERTISE for them and people will call you that want to SELL those cars. I did this very successfully for a very long time. I know of what I speak. Another point....Not everyone can WAIT to sell their cars.....They don't want to deal with the NIT WITS out there that need to arrange a PPI, then financing, then don't want the car because the PPI discovers that bottom of the front bumper was painted at some point. How many VIPERS have we all seen RE-LISTED over and over on Ebay for NON PLAYING BIDDERS....That gets OLD very FAST for a seller.

Also.....Things happen in peoples lives....Good things and bad.....They KNOW they can get more $$$$ for the car, but they don't have the TIME, or don't want the bulls*t.

I've purchased everything from Ferrari's to Bentley's this way....Vipers are no different, I've purchased them too.....CASH, contrary to your opinion, IS a motivating factor when that SELLER decides to pull the trigger.

My goal, is to make that deal happen F A S T !!! That's how I buy property, whether that property is a LOTUS or a HOME, or a GTS VIPER......The fact that someone reading this post can LITERALLY have FULL PAYMENT for their car within HOURS is worth something to them when they NEED that CASH NOW.....

It's not all desperate sellers situations....It could be something as simple as a great deal that comes along on an ACR, or a nice vacation property that motivates someone to call me....To them, the money they save on that car or home, more than makes up whatever they leave on the table with their old GTS. ESPECIALLY if that car needs a few things.

I've seen this movie before......I'll post pictures of the car I buy when one comes along.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly agree with fdjake. Many Viper owners are older and well off, and making the maximum best monet deal is not as important as getting on with life and not hassling with scammers, deadbeats and the like. Also, there are quite a few Vipers that many folks on this site deem to be not worth looking at, yet actually have low miles as compared to something like an equal year Corvette. Therefore, they sell for more reasonable money. Because the Viper is a much simpler car, normal car miles are not as big of a concern on a Viper as on other "modern" cars.

Good luck to you !

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to sell a car on Ebay about a year ago (first & only time) & I'll NEVER do that again. Friggin Scammers (about 9 out of every 10 ) & I probably had a 100 that texted me (you can never get them on the phone to actually talk to them) & they have no intention of buying anything & are just trying to rip you off. I just wish I would have had just 1 buyer like fdjake, if you ARE patient you'll find one sooner or later (maybe not for that price & probably not on here, but you will) I've said that if I ever sell mine or just decide to get another Viper, thats definitely the color scheme I want but probably one of the Newer models. I have a tendenacy to like some of the newer creature comforts. Even when I was looking for mine I really didn't want to go back further than a '98 & when I found out the Steel Gray only came in '00, the rest is History
Creampuff or Not did not matter to me! GOOD LUCK JAKE!

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many high end cars I've purchased from wealthy people by simply offering to meet them at their LOCAL POLICE STATION to initially look at their cars. Even the most jaded seller immediately takes SOME level of comfort in this. We meet in at the Police station...I offer to go in with them and provide Positive ID to the police and only THEN, with the police having my name and address do we complete the sale at their home.m The KEY to this is ME making that offer.

Like I said.....I've played this game many times and made a good living doing it....I like my chances.....A LOT!!!!!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But Jake, you've got to admit ALOT of times the Most Jaded sellers & buyers are the ones that Play the System the most, because they know every pro & con to it. Also, with you being in the car business for some 20+ years doesn't put you in the best shade of light. Even with you having the cash, I would have to have my little magic marker to check the bills. You've got to admit that the Con/Scam artist are the ones that try to come across as the Good Guys to start with, I imagine just about everybody on here knows somebody that has screwed anybody & everybody they've ever came in contact with & owes everybody in town but they're still out walking the streets & not behind bars because they know how to work the system.(not sure I put that correctly but I'm sure everybody knows exactly what I'm talking about) LOL

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like your style sir. Good luck with a speedy purshase. (and maybe a speedy turn around for 5-10 large?)

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

You are 100% right about the BEST scammers coming across as good guys.....The only difference is this....

I ALWAYS encourage people I do business with to CHECK ME OUT....I go out of my way to take ANY worry out of the equation.

For example.....I use Cashiers Checks or Wire Transfers to buy most of my cars. Cash is just to dangerous in these times for BOTH parties..IF the seller INSISTS on actual CASH, I invite them to my bank and withdraw the cash and let THEM worry about carrying it around... So HOW do you get a suspicious SELLER to accept your bank check???

You make it IMPOSSIBLE for the transaction to be anything but legit.....I do this very simply.....I give them the check number and the name of the VP or manager at my bank, tell them what city and street that branch is on....THEN..I tell THEM to look up the phone number and CHECK IT themselves...Don't take a phone number "I" provide...Look it up for yourself, and confirm it on the internet.....They call and provide the bank manager with the check NUMBER and all that's left is confirming with the manager that the check is REAL, is written for that amount, and HE REALLY is the same guy who's name I provided. My banker is happy to do this.....We've done a TON of business together over the years and he knows I'm a straight shooter. He explains to the seller that I do this on a semi regular basis and that the check is indeed GOOD.

A wire transfer is even easier....I tell them to have THEIR bank call my bank and provide the routing info....Once the sellers bank confirms that this is indeed a United States based REAL bank.....All I have to do at that point is go to my branch where the wiring info for the sellers banks is now located and set up the fund transfer. DONE. My banker will do this for me OVER THE PHONE. I sign everything BEFORE going to pickup the car...I can be sitting in a sellers kitchen, make that call, send the funds and once the sellers confirms with HIS bank the funds have arrived....We are DONE....Again...Very simple if you're not trying to SCREW SOMEONE!!

The KEY to any transaction is BUILDING TRUST......Not BULLSH*T SCAMMERS TRUST.....But HONEST, VERIFIABLE TRUST. This includes giving the seller my home phone number, cell phone number and THEN.....DOING what you SAID you will do...WHEN you say you'll do it. It means putting the TRANSACTION on your PRIORITY LIST and answering your phone when the seller calls, sending info he may need IMMEDIATELY when asked.

There is one good thing about the number of scammers out there these days???

There are so many of these SH*THEADS out there that when a REAL BUYER shows up......YOU STAND OUT!!!!

I didn't mean to turn this into a lesson in how to buy cars from strangers....But I have no problem sharing some insider knowledge with members of a forum who are so willing to help with ANY question about these great cars!!

Thanks guys!!

I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jake when you say they're everywhere you are correct sir. I had never done any wheelin & dealin on ebay & was about as green as they come & would have dove in head first (I put too much trust in people) if it hadn't been for my computer geek setting everything up & enlighten me to as what can happen with just one little click on the wrong link! Guys like that can spot somebody like me a mile away. You would think ebay could at least minimize the amount of scammers on there. JMO

OP
OP
F

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...Good point....I ALWAYS pay FINDERS FEE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No better way to FIND a hidden GEM!!!!

I'll drop this guy a line....Thanks....How's RUTH CHRIST'S SOUND????

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On man, how is it possible you found one when everybody on here told you it was impossible....Gotta love the internet.

$35K for a 96/97 GTS is low, but not unreasonable. These finds are all in the normal spots you would expect to find them, if you looked!

Here's a few more that could be negotiated down towards the $35K goal.

1996 for $41K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/v...=25&seller_type=b&cardist=2245&standard=false

1997 for $39K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/v...=25&seller_type=b&cardist=2057&standard=false

1997 for $43K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/v...=25&seller_type=b&cardist=1923&standard=false

1997 for $39K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/v...=b&num_records=25&cardist=2301&standard=false

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A potential buyer's use of BOLD letters in every few WORDS in a sentence should instill a sense of TRUST in anyone considering selling a CAR to someone on the INTERNET.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, it was sarcasm

"$35K for a 96/97 GTS is low, but not unreasonable. These finds are all in the normal spots you would expect to find them, if you looked!

Here's a few more that could be negotiated down towards the $35K goal.

1996 for $41K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...standard=false

1997 for $39K

1997 for $43K

1997 for $39K
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...standard=false "

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you will find something in that price range. I wouldn't sell mine for that, but I'm sure you will find soemthing. Have seen quite a few selling in that range over the last year or so. Best of luck to you.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend of mine bought his B/W w/ 11k miles for $35k last year. Then someone just sold a B/W w/ 22k miles and I-forged wheels for $45k last week.

I agree that fdjake will find one if he is patient. Someone was interested in buying my GTS, but I don't think I could bring myself to sell it...ever.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala