Yea or nay vote for the new viper coupe

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't take any offense to your comments Keith, or others that say I have to like the car, as I am in the business. I pretty much stated I liked the Concept Coupe when it came out ( understanding it was a concept ) and nothing has changed with the actual coupe. I am in a unique position that affords me the chance to see both sides of the coin. The pattern in all sales , regardless of whether it is a automobile , home, clothes and style changes, is that folks who do not like something are 4-5 times more vocal than those that find something new and appealing. Anyone who has done seminars ( regardless of their job type) concerning customer satisfaction , notes that the impetus is on keeping all individuals pleased, as the unhappy customer will tell 20 of his friends , whereas the happy one will only converse with a couple. Studies have been done showing an open internet forum operates on the same principle , with those that do not like an idea, a picture, an opinion, etc. are more likely to make comments and this seems only natural. Logically , with a passionate vehicle like the Viper, we all gravitate to any change and it is harder for us to adjust, as we are in love with what we have. As an answering note, it always is amazing that while those that feel comfortable expressing their dislikes ( great country that we have the freedom to do this in so many ways ) and gathering those that have like feelings, the ones that favor things vote with their checkbooks. We took 4 deposits yesterday from those that really like the new Coupe, and ,yes, one is current Corvette owner,ha. I frankly think , like many of the owners of the SRT-10 Conv., that the new Coupe will grow on many current SnakeCharmers. I will admit that I am not impressed with the staged, photo edited ,massaged magazine/brochure pictures, but the ones on the tarmac give one a real view of the changes in the rear window , spoiler, etc., and as the views come in from the Autoshows, I think DC will have another hit on their hands. Am I biased, sure, but then like all Viper owners I think that is part of our mystique. In talking to people that get their first Viper, there is often a comment that they have never seen such a rapid crowd that lives and breathes with the daily movements of our unique car. Passion is so much different than liking something, so our views will always be more robust and opinionated --- they sure don't call them crimes of like, ha.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have all seen the ******** and moaning from the vette group over no vert for the Z. All this tells me is that you can't please everyone. To my way of thinking, there is nothing better than a roadster. So NAY

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREATEST THING SINCE CANNED BEER!!!

So please go get one and then everyone flood the market with gen 2 GTS's so I can get another one at rock bottom prices. :laugh:

My vote... nay

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I like the new coupe. The more pictures I see, the more I like it. I will reserve final judgement until I see one "in the flesh." It's starting to grow on me.

Do I wish it had more horsepower? Yes.

Is it still a cool car.

I just hope they put a proper oil pan on it.

Kai

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that that it will be easy to pick up a GTS on the cheap. From all of the comments here, I can't imagine that Gen II owners would be caught dead in their overweight 450hp cars? Looks like they are all running to buy a new Z06.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nay, primarily because from 96 to 06, the coupe has added only 50hp. If it made 600hp, I'd still forgive it's amateur design looks and say Yea!

I like my "overweight" GTS. It was a keeper when I bought it in 1997, in 2005 and forever.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the internet's most vocal participants are the whiners and rabble-rousers, which is why I was reluctant to post at all. I also think Dodge did the most amazing thing in 1992, and again in 1996, and as a result created a passionate group of loyal enthusiasts. But I think the SRT, and especially the Coupe, pale in comparison to prior efforts and have in fact allowed the rest of the automotive world to catch up and perhaps walk by.

Bill, you remain a class act and I hope I get a chance to see who can whomp whom on the track some day. That will happen, however, in a puny Miata. I can't afford to race the Comp Coupe, which is a very, very impressive product! I will live vicariously through Mr. Woodhouse's and others exploits.

avery

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This my first post...be kind.

You must be registered for see images

[/QUOTE]

This is a yes! Wonder if cabin heat issues fixed. Also wonder if track performance enhanced?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AFTER SEEING THIS:[Comp Coupe

WOULD YOU WANT THIS?[Srt10 poop]

THIS EXTREME ANALOGY HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY P.E.T.A.....People for the Ethical Treatment of Asp's.......

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill, I spoke with you in depth on the phone about this coupe. You made me fell like family. not like you were trying to sell me a car, I will buy my coupe from you and Woodhouse Dodge, even though you are states away. I am not moved by all the negative comments, besides, DC could not build enough 06 coupes if everyone here wanted one. And if DC changes anything down the road to better the coupe, well, I will buy it also, it is the nature of the beast, and it is called V I P E R.......... Look forward to speaking with you again Bill, you are truely an asset to the Viper community.

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NAY

I cancelled my order for the SRT when it came out. The new coupe still is not good looking. The Z06 if the power and weight goals are reached, with a dry sump engine, will have my vote (and cash). The only thing I don't like about the z06 is the hood,(too much like the ugly gen III). I also blew my engine (97 GTS) making a long sweeping left hand turn over and over on a track day. So dry sump is awesome.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: NAY

I think that it was a huge mistake not adding one single HP to the SRT-Coupe, especially with all of the loud press about the Ford GT and C6 Z06 Corvette. Certainly the older Gen1 and GenII Vipers had far less than 500HP stock, but they were VERY competitive when they were new, and we are now in 2005, and the HP target has clearly moved.

GM went through great pains to update the Z06 to be truly race competitive with it's dry sump, forged pistons, CF bodywork, aluminum frame, CNC heads, etc.., and DC slapped on a roof and some trim and called it done.

Personally, I like the SRT Coupe's looks, and I really do expect to see an ACR version that is lighter and more powerful for 2007. But 50HP more would have been easy and cheap to do, if only just to save face for 2005.

625HP would have totally changed most people's views about this new coupe Viper, all around the world.

But no. :(

A Paxton supercharger will certainly breathe superior acceleration performance back into this car, but it's apples and oranges comparing factory stock and modded cars, so that doesn't really count.

I can just see the magazine comparisons now with the new SRT-10 Viper Coupe, C6 Z06 Corvette, and Ford GT.
Anyone want to make any bets as to how the test results work out?

I don't mind the Viper coming up last in a comparison because it's more expensive, or less comfortable, or practical. But not because DC decided to let the relative (key word here) performance slip behind the others.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Honestly, though, the Viper will probably have more power under the curve than the Vette, as well as more torque across the band. And, also, the Vette has 11 to 1 compression already, so forced induction will not be simple, like it is with the Viper, so the Viper gets the edge for being able to be modded up in HP.
But then again, the Vette has the lighter weight and dry sump oil system, which makes it the better track bargain, by far.
No way around it, DC will lose in head-to-head competition with the new Z. GM really hit a home run, it appears.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sounds like three great cars. It isn't like any one of the three is humiliating the others in the performance department? All three have differing points of value.

In thirty years when we are on a different energy platform and 500hp is as foreign as the metric system, we will all recognize that we are at an historic point in automotive history.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill --

Everyone that I've talked to who knows you says that you are a class act and a great car salesman. But stick to your day job, your analysis of web site response is amateurish. You can bet that if there was an exciting new Viper coupe available the positive comments on the VCA web site would outweigh the negative comments by one heck of a margin. In fact, it is that way most of the time when involving specialty cars -- the word spreads like wildfire when there is an exciting one (like Ford's GR-1, the DB9, the Z06, etc.).

If you want to stick to your thesis that more complain than compliment, then DC should have listened much closer. While it may have been just a few thousand who were crying for a new coupe, their collective influence on the number of DC vehicles purchased is quite extensive. They are exactly the type of customer DC needs more of. They are attracted by and can afford a halo car and they can multiply their purchasing power if they are pleased.

If DC wants the Viper as a halo car, they should create one where there is no question that it's outstanding, not one they have to talk people into. All the whiney excuses about we have to be practical about the evolution of such a low production car belie the rationale of a halo concept. So with no advertising and a mediocre product, the bright halo becomes a dim flashlight bulb.

I think Bob Lutz said it best at the LA show. When asked what he thought of the new Viper coupe, he smiled instantly and then after pausing a few moments said "I really like it!". It supports his purposes excellently!

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am luke warm about it now but, these things have a way of growing on me with time. I will have to see it in person before I decide.
VIPAH...do you really think that the Viper will see that AMG 600+HP engine from Mercedes? I would love to see it but, I would think it is highly unlikely to happen. It is more likely that the current V-10 will get massaged to 550 or 600 HP in a year or so.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am luke warm about it now but, these things have a way of growing on me with time. I will have to see it in person before I decide.
VIPAH...do you really think that the Viper will see that AMG 600+HP engine from Mercedes? I would love to see it but, I would think it is highly unlikely to happen. It is more likely that the current V-10 will get massaged to 550 or 600 HP in a year or so.

I tend to doubt we will see the Sl65 engine in the Viper, but you would think it would be easier to do than play with the V-10. The SL65 engine can easily put out 670hp.

:2tu:

OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that I was "whining" about the car. This post was an objective exercise on what viper owners think of the new car. I expect DC will read this. To be frank, I am on viper #5, my SRT has 30,000 miles on it, and I have been on the list for the new coupe since the SRT was unveiled. Dodge has the technology to produce a better vehicle and engine...just look at the ME 4-12 and Sema car(engine). How many vette owner's track their car in comparison to viper owners? You are looking at a ripple effect on the market since how many viper owners go on and buy DC vehicles.