Z06 to GTS

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to gain HP and TQ, you're going to lose Active Handling, HUD and associated functions, and cup holders. Everyone will treat you like a rock star.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi orenc,

First off, regardless of what Viper you do end up with, you will love it, congrats on the consideration/decision
smile.gif
. Secondly, there is an overwhelming amount of info on this very subject located within this site; just Search for it. Good luck, and welcome
smile.gif

Regards,

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First he does not have HUD on 01 Z06. To me the Viper is a lot smaler inside that the Vette. No dead pedal and it takes time to manage close pedals. Would I do it again YES!!! I just got back from driving easy since I only have 300 miles. I love the car as you'll know that many other people do too. At the gas station I had two guys talk to me. That did not happen with yellow Corvette. Everybody on CF will tell you that the comfort of the Vette......blah blah.. If you want a race car then you will not care for dual climate control.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, its obviously down to your preference in style and attention factor. $26k buys a LOT of performance on the ZO6 - i.e., you could woop 99% of the snakes on this board. Let's see, dump $10k in Agostino and get a 396 small block 550hp emissions legal small block and take the rest and do whatever else you'd like with the car our maybe that new extension on your house. Sky's the limit. You could build an 800hp monster for $26k. And then some.

But yes, I'm in about the same boat once I get rid of my 2000 (see other post about GM). Unless GM makes a final offer that I can't walk away from I will probably be getting a 97 GTS. But I have slightly different reasons.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considered getting an '02 Z06, before purchasing a '99 ACR with 12.6K miles in great condition a month ago.
Most will say that the Viper is not a "comfortable" everyday car. Some will say, it's rough, loud, and it doesn't have the best interior/quality/finish.
If I will drive my Viper daily, I'm very sure that I will not have any complaints. I drove the car for about 600 miles, and was amazed how comfortable it was. I only had to stop for gas, and stretched my legs a bit (not much leg room :). I was amazed about the overall quality.
After owning a Twin Turbo Z, and have been in my friends high end Import cars (ie: Supra, M3, NSX, RX7), I have to admit that all Domestic cars can learn something from Import cars, in terms of interior/quality/finish. Also, the upgrades available for these Import cars are top notch in quality.
But heck, the Viper was not engineered for comfort, best quality, etc.. It's a street legal race car! If you compare the Viper with other exotics, it will blow most (if not all) of them away for a fraction of the price.
The Z06 (new '02), maybe faster at the track, maybe more comfortable (to most people), maybe more advanced (HUD, stability control, ABS, etc.), but it's not a Viper! It will be just another 'Vette to most people.
I'm just fortunate to own a Viper, as I'm not rich like most owners. It took me a lot of determination, patience, and will. Dreams do come true...
smile.gif

P.S. in case you don't know, '01 + Vipers have ABS standard. Good luck on your decision, and I hope you pick the Viper.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by speedpup:
Adam I await you at the track
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, you got it.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$26,000 sounds like a big difference too me, although the price of 01 Z06's dropped like a rock after the economy tanked and the 02's came out. I don't know... maybe a Viper dealer would only give you $40,000 on trade for the Z06 toward a new Viper at around $66,000...

I'd either look for a good used Viper, or just drive and enjoy the Corvette. It would be hard for me to sell our 01 Z06 right now after buying it for sticker a year ago...

Our 99 Viper does have more power, but the Z06 is a great car as well. I wouldn't be willing to take a big loss to trade for the Viper.

Jim

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Z06 (new '02), maybe faster at the track"

NOT!!!!

Viper GTS turns in better track times with equal driver. Road course and Drag strip. Real world and magazines...

Later

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy new, you can probably get around 40k for yours and there are some mint used vipers that are like new with under 10k miles for around 50k so 10k and your in.Oh I wouldn't consider it the dark side I would consider it the right side. I have had both and liked my Z06 but after having a viper it was like trading down just not worth it to me.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two are very different cars.. and quite frankly if you dont enjoy being gawked at.. the Viper is definetely not for you..

But what a car..
smile.gif
smile.gif

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! Funny! That was a fun post to read.

The Viper is quite a car for sure. I'm like Norman though. Keep the Vette and get the Viper. That way, you'll have a car you can go 'incognito' with and drive when you feel like granny drivin'. AND, you'll have a car to drive that fits the mood when you feel like haulin' the mail and being stared and gawked at....

Flamesuit on!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've got a ZR-1, then I recommend definitely selling the Z06 for the GTS. You already own the most classic of modern Corvettes, and you'll be picking up the classic Gen-II Viper, so any urges to "drive brand" can thus be scratched.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven a 94 ZR1 and several 01 and 02 ZO6s.... I would dump the ZR1 in a heartbeat. The new Zs blow them away in many fields. But I can understand a certain attachment. If I end up with a Viper this year, I would probably be looking at a ZO6 in the next year or two or possibly a regular used C5 as a daily.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I like Vettes. I like 'em a lot. I used to own one, a nice 89 Convertible. Put 100 extra horsies on it myself, too.

But it still looks like a Vette! If it were made faster than a Ferrari F50, it still would not command the attention the Ferrari would. Girls would not ignore the Ferrari F50, and instead look over at the Vette at the local hangout, and say: "Hey, look at that cool guy the fast Vette" A Ferrari owner that gets stepped on by a modded Viper does not say: "Gee, I think I will sell my Ferrari now, and get a Viper, because he is faster than me" Of course not! Likewise, I do not care that other cars can be made faster for less money.

So what if you can make a lesser car go faster!

You are missing the point! Nobody cares!

When you own a Viper, its blast not just cause its fast off the showroom floor, but for ALL that it is. Its wild, its real, its got guts and style by the truckload. As much as I like Vettes, they just don't stack up next to the Viper. Even if the Vette is or can be made faster, the Vette still doesn't do what the Viper does so easily.

Before I owned a Viper, I was intrigued by this strange automobile, but very critical of it for this reason, that reason, no cupholders, lack of options, blah blah blah.

After owning one for 6000 smiles now, it has grown on me like I never beleived possible. All I want to do is drive it, anywhere, I dont care, I just want to drive. Feels like a narcotic. I couldn't go back to mediocrity, I WONT go back! The Viper is a kick in the ***, for many reasons. All my objections melted away when that torque grabed me. You forget you have no cupholders, as you tromp through the gears. A Viper will always have a place in automotive history. Its got balls. Its got style. There is nothing like it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, VIPR GTS!

Don't anyone think I am down on anyone's ride, I like 'em all, Vettes, Supras, Mustangs, Camaros, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Its all good. I am just fortunate to have my dream car. God willing, someday I'll be blessed enough to get the new apple of my eye, the GT-40.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally took out the Viper and showed my Vette buddies at Vettewrench in Naperville, IL. I really shocked most of them but I think it went over pretty well
smile.gif
I'm getting the usual ribbing but it's all in fun. Not sure how much longer I will keep my C5 roadster
frown.gif

Time for MODS!!!

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
getting back to the point of the original post. is 2001 z06 + 26K = 01 gts. I'd say no. Looks like dealer trade in would be about 40K for a car with your low mileage. private party probably 45K. truth is there are a lot of new vipers out there under invoice. you could probably get a 0 mile viper with 26K and your car.

or you could buy slightly used and drop less money than 26K. do you absolutely need abs? if so consider pre 2001 cars, some would even say there are advanatages. You could get into a nice low mileage gts possibly for less than 10K beyond selling price for your vette.

i'm sure your z06 is nice, i guarantee you'll be happy with a viper, but take your time. there are good prices available out there. put your z06 up for sale for 48K take 45K and go shopping. my .02.

Jason

CNTW84U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
orenc, I did exactly what your thinking of doing. I dumped my 01' Z06 for for a new 02' GTS. The only thing I see when I look back, is a Z06 trying to keep up with me. Go for it!

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I sold my 01 Z06 amd currently have a depo down for the C6 Z06. BUT, I've have definately swung hard over to getting the 02 Graphite GTS.

The Vette is way too common (34,000 built per year) and mundane for me. Just working real hard to save some cash for the 02 GTS.

Good things will happen for those who have goals and patience.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orenc:
Vettemaan-I'll still have the ZR1; so I'm not totally leaving Vettes. The Z06 is a better balanced car than the ZR1, but I have grown attached to it.

Had the Z06 posted on the Corvette Forum for $42,000 with ripper, blackwing, 6 yr/50,000mile warrnaty and only 3500 miles with no bites. I think 39k for trade in + get part of my extended warranty $ back; no headaches of trying to sell will be worth it. $65k for an 01 GTS w/ stripes seems fair. I'm psyched!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like a good deal. I sold my Vette for 37K loaded but it was a Coupe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang