ZR1 FORUMS ARE

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a joke.I cannot wait to get the ACR on track an devour a ZR1.Let them pay 15-30k over sticker this will not make them any faster.They think because they have ceramic brakes the will dominate on the track.I paid over sticker for a GT3 and will never do so agian for any car.Nothing but a big loss after the inital thrill is gone.

OP
OP
X

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None that I have heard of and not the one I have on ordered.These cars will go to racers not speculaters.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think speculators will have the money to buy a ZR1.

I will be the first to admit, that the initial numbers for the ZR1 were a little disappointing to me. Added 150lbs, more front heavy than the Z06, and 20 and 19" rims (that are ugly). I do think it's under-rated at 620bhp though. I just don't see a 6.2L with 10:1 compression at 10.5psi with an efficient supercharger "only" making 620 horsepower.

Either way, we'll see (good or bad) once it hits the streets and the track, I suppose.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about. The ZR1 is worth $1million.... :) joking...

I remember in 1989 when everyone was paying over list for C4 ZR1's, $110-$120k... What are they worth now? A whopping $35k, with collector miles(under 1000). And what, $20k, if its a driver... Yep, great investment for sure.(eyes rolling).

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Saw the zr-one at Barrett-Jackson. Lousy wheels, many add-ons that do not flow with existing body panels and a "glass" hood for that is tacky at best.

I thought Bob Lutz said: "No more ugly cars."

Well, Bob, maybe one more ugly car...

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12 inch rear tire width and a nose heavy bias....this thing is going to do nothing but spin.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think speculators will have the money to buy a ZR1.

I will be the first to admit, that the initial numbers for the ZR1 were a little disappointing to me. Added 150lbs, more front heavy than the Z06, and 20 and 19" rims (that are ugly). I do think it's under-rated at 620bhp though. I just don't see a 6.2L with 10:1 compression at 10.5psi with an efficient supercharger "only" making 620 horsepower.

Either way, we'll see (good or bad) once it hits the streets and the track, I suppose.

I think the new ZR1 is going to be like the old L88 corvettes...Start with 420 then 450 then hell after someone put on on the dyno over 600 horses...I am not a corvette fan at all but I bet that ZR1 will push more than 620 once someone gets it on a dyno...I bet they lowered due to insurance issues...Plus imagine all the options just a smaller puller and bingo :headbang:

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about. The ZR1 is worth $1million.... :) joking...

I remember in 1989 when everyone was paying over list for C4 ZR1's, $110-$120k... What are they worth now? A whopping $35k, with collector miles(under 1000). And what, $20k, if its a driver... Yep, great investment for sure.(eyes rolling).

I agree the old ZR1s are crap no handles no nothing...But this ZR1 considering who knows how long they will make it with all the crazy fuel economy and issues that chevy has....I bet they will produce it for two years and be over....Then it will be worth something possibly the highest output chevy ever sold at dealerships using conventional gasoline...Now that would at a true collectors car....L88s are selling for over 250k now and only rising....:eater: I don't think a 405 horse power ZR1 will ever be worth than the sucker who buys it...:lmao:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
12 inch rear tire width and a nose heavy bias....this thing is going to do nothing but spin.

Maybe you are right...

But don't forget that the magneto rheological shocks can drop their resistance to compression in .001 seconds, when it senses a hard launch. This allows weight transfer to the rear end, helping it hook up. 0-60 should be near 3 and a half seconds. I'm not waving Covette's flag here, I'm just saying it won't sit and spin as much as you might suspect.

*edit* I took your meaning to be "spin", like on a hard launch. As far as lateral Gs, its better than the ZO6, as the MR shocks stiffen the outboard corners, helping it corner flat. It will only corner harder than the ZO6, not worse.

Ok, I'm done with this. Don't wanna toot their horn in here....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does it matter? The chance of actually seeing one on the track will be rare and if you ever do it will be driven so pussyfooted that a Spec Miata will tail it easily.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just take the new viper, put a s/c on it and boom.. a lot higher than what they got. hell, even non S/C options can beat what they have.

The ONLY reason they have higher HP is because they decided to put a s/c on it stock.

N/A ftw.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just take the new viper, put a s/c on it and boom.. a lot higher than what they got. hell, even non S/C options can beat what they have.

The ONLY reason they have higher HP is because they decided to put a s/c on it stock.

N/A ftw.

The numbers aren't out yet for the ZR1. Not a single one has been dyno'd, how can you make a statement like that?

The only reason they went with a S/C was because the V10 wouldn't fit. It's also easier to pass emissions with a smaller ci engine with a blower on it.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think most of the ACR's are going to be out at tracks?

:omg: hmmmm.... to answer this question for you yes most acr's will be on the track. In fact i doubt that many will be mostly on the street since the car has pilot sport cups and since its so low with the chin spoiler.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish dodge would build a viper for 09 make a 100 of them and put a blower on it just to say hah.....so in 2010 we can look back and say gotcha....because then this war will have to be tone down in 2010...I know easily dodge could put a blower on bring it down to 6.5 psi and not worry about a engine blowing....Pretty sure that monster would easily lay down 750 horses and run the quarter in 10s.....

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: hmmmm.... to answer this question for you yes most acr's will be on the track. In fact i doubt that many will be mostly on the street since the car has pilot sport cups and since its so low with the chin spoiler.

I don't think you going to see many at the track nor street probably in someones garage collecting dust because if they are going to track they would have already bought the competition coupe...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think most of the ACR's are going to be out at tracks?

"Most?" Dunno. But if GM builds 500 ZR1s and Dodge builds 500 ACRs I guarantee you I will see plenty of ACRs tracking. In fact, a couple of my Vett tracking buds are seriously considering buying ACRs.

Nope, I aint sweating any ZR1s.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For every 7 C6 Z06 owners I run into, only one will play. I guarantee you very few ZR1 owners will push these cars. Stop light to stop light is probably all u will get. A 100k Vette is something sacred to Vette owners..something they will cherish and drive like a Rolls Royce. Not like Viper owners drive Vipers.

Now...I will say this for the umpteenth time...DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS ZR1.

Vettes have an R&D and engineering budget that dwarfs that of the Viper. This ZR1 uses variable lobe geometry in the blower to keep the power on the screw blower from falling off at high rpms like the Roe blower does. It seems many 08 Vipers are making 630 flywheel hp. Expect the ZR1 to make close to 640-650...and the Vettes have traditionally had a lower power train loss than Vipers.

Go back and read some of the forums when the new Z06 came out...many of the Viper owners were amazed at how this car performed. I think we are going to experience dejavu here. The good thing is that Mopar add-ons for the 08 are producing flywheel numbers from 675 to 700 hp; that is Dodges trump card.

Chevys view is that Corvette is America's only real sports car. They feel Mustangs are inferior, and that Viper is a visitor to the stage, an expensive gimmick, that we have only been around for 15 yrs vs their 55 yrs. That w/ our less than 1800 cars produced per year, we should not be taken seriously....they have always thought that, until the American psyche began to change and Viper silently became America's supercar, and the only American made exotic sports car that was not a one-off two-yr run like the Ford GT.
GM has Viper dead in their sites. The ZR1 is their best shot to date. What happens next remains to be seen.:eater:

Now, having said all that politically correct sh*t:pbt:...most Vette owners are p*ssies compared to Viper owners and will not push their cars or themselves. Despite the damn nanny control and all....they usually dont have the balls to go head up w/ the snake...their are a few that will....but most wont. I cannot tell u how many times I have weaved thru traffic to catch a Vette only to see some 65 yr old lady w/ white hair :grumpy:and pink lipstick w/ jet black big ass shades driving like Ms Daisy listening to Bobby Darin!:lmao:

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most will be tracked because they will look foolish on the street with that big rear wing.I will cruise mine on the streets of Scottsdale just to be abnoxious and piss off my nieghbors.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rumor is that the ZR1 power delivery will disappoint, as sourced from some close to recent testing of the car. This is a 6.2L motor, not the current 7.0L. The C6 Z06 only impressed everyone because it was such a big jump from the prior Vettes which were so low on power...

My prediction: The only thing the ZR1 will do is make the Z06 look like a better value.

Recent Vette V8 power:
5.7L (base C5 Corvette) = 350HP
5.6L (prior Z06) @ 72.32 HP/L (n/a) = 405HP
7.0L (current Z06) @ 72.14 HP/L (n/a) = 505HP
6.2L (2009 ZR1) @ 72.5 HP/L (n/a) = 450HP + blower?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rumor is that the ZR1 power delivery will disappoint, as sourced from some close to recent testing of the car. This is a 6.2L motor, not the current 7.0L. The C6 Z06 only impressed everyone because it was such a big jump from the prior Vettes which were so low on power...

My prediction: The only thing the ZR1 will do is make the Z06 look like a better value.

Recent Vette V8 power:
5.7L (base C5 Corvette) = 350HP
5.6L (prior Z06) @ 72.32 HP/L (n/a) = 405HP
7.0L (current Z06) @ 72.14 HP/L (n/a) = 505HP
6.2L (2009 ZR1) @ 72.5 HP/L (n/a) = 450HP + blower?
*** kinda math is that?

2009 ZR1: 620 hp @ 6.2 L = 100 hp per liter! You dont need a question mark for the results. The performance should not be tricky. The 620 hp Vette will perform like 675 hp n/a Vipers, shave 2 to 3 tenths for traction control in the 1/4 mile.
Expect 0-60 times in low 3's.
Expect 1/4 mile times in the 10.5-10.77 range. NOw, w/ better tires...expect mid to low 10's consistently.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, so many posts to reply to lol

First off, the ZR1 is going to be bought by a COMPLETELY different group of people than buy the regular Corvettes (they're twice the price!). Z06 owners are quite a bit different than Coupe owners, often. Coupe owners are MORE LIKELY (not stereotyping) to be cruising around. Be it an older man or woman, wife's car, or some young dude trying to look cool. Typically, Z06's are owned by Corvette fans that are more enthusiasts. One thing I LIKE about the Z06 (and the original ZR-1) is that it DOESN'T look much different from a Corvette. I like the fact that most people don't know it's any different, and it's not all flashy and grabbing everyone's attention. The attention it WILL grab, is from the people who are really into cars. With that being said....everytime I have gone up to Road Atlanta, it is completely dominated by Z06's. It's almost sickening how many are on the track. There are typically even more C6 Z06's there than Vipers. On average, I will see 2 - 4 Vipers, 1 Ford GT, and 4 - 6 C6 Z06's....and countless C5 Z06s. I have never seen an ACR, but that is a very rare car...so I won't count that. But, I have yet to see a GTS there. It is normally some old dude in an SRT convertible running C class with his wife and having a good time (nothing wrong with that).

Now, even with that being said......several previous Z06 owners were unable to afford the C6 Z06. With the ZR1, there will be an even smaller group of buyers. I believe these are the guys who are more likely to race, than other Corvette owners. I don't track my car, because I don't have the money to buy pads and tires, not to mention the other maintenance from track use (abuse?). Guys who like Corvettes and have money, build the piss out of C5 (and I've seen several C6) Z06's and track them all the time. I really think that you are going to see more of these type people buying ZR1's and going right to the track. But, yes....you are also going to have several who buy one, and go put it in the garage for 20 years and try to sell it with 500 miles on the odometer. But people will be doing the same thing with the ACR.....that happens with any limited production special edition car. Bottom line is.....the group of people who are driving around 30 - 45k Vettes are NOT the same people who are going to be buying the (estimated) 110k ZR1. And with the disappointment of the market value of the original ZR-1's, I don't think people are going to be nearly as expectant of getting a huge return out of parking one.

And about Viipermann's math.....the current LS3 is making close to 450bhp, and the ZR1 IS STILL NOT OUT YET SO WE DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS HORSEPOWER NUMBER IS....that's why he put 450 + ???

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish dodge would build a viper for 09 make a 100 of them and put a blower on it just to say hah.....so in 2010 we can look back and say gotcha....because then this war will have to be tone down in 2010...I know easily dodge could put a blower on bring it down to 6.5 psi and not worry about a engine blowing....Pretty sure that monster would easily lay down 750 horses and run the quarter in 10s.....

Forgot to reply to this. If a Viper engine was built with a forged bottom end, and all forged internals, and dropped the compression.....they could go with 10+psi very easily and safely, and make gobs and gobs of power. The real "stress" of the system would be the fuel system. I imagine the reason that GM went with a blown 6.2L is they are probably doing away with the LS7 very soon, and will be going to an LS8. Since the LS3 is the new engine, and will be the new architecture for their engines...I'm sure it was more cost efficient to just built it with forged internals and supercharge it, than completely redo the LS7....as well as keep emissions and fuel efficiency under control (one thing Corvette always boasts about).

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta tell you...I am loyal like a Marine...semper fi, so I will never buy a Vette while I own a Viper.
I want to buy a ZR1. I personally love Vettes but I love Viper much much much more...and Vettes are our nemesis. I will buy a standard Vette for my wife (so I can mentally justify it) but Vipers and Vettes in the same garage are like two male pit bulls in the same cage.....
B4 I spend 100k on a Vette, I will buy a new 08 to keep our Viper line strong.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to reply to this. If a Viper engine was built with a forged bottom end, and all forged internals, and dropped the compression.....they could go with 10+psi very easily and safely, and make gobs and gobs of power. The real "stress" of the system would be the fuel system. I imagine the reason that GM went with a blown 6.2L is they are probably doing away with the LS7 very soon, and will be going to an LS8. Since the LS3 is the new engine, and will be the new architecture for their engines...I'm sure it was more cost efficient to just built it with forged internals and supercharge it, than completely redo the LS7....as well as keep emissions and fuel efficiency under control (one thing Corvette always boasts about).
The Vipers and the ZR1 weigh about the same. 20 more horse and a more aggessive gear and traction control will give a stock 08 fits.
But Mopars package of 75 more horse and consider Viper drivers are better drivers:D the ZR1 has no chance.

no chance.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for you guys who don't know, when Z06's run the 1/4, the first thing you do is turn OFF the traction control. You put the car in "Competition Mode" which allows wheelspin but won't let you hit the wall since the active handling capability is still in force, should you happen to hit a slick spot. It will react before you can say "Oh ****!"

Tires for the ACR are only 10mm wider then those spec'd for the ZR1 (345 vs 335), which for the metric-challenged is less than 1/2".

Supposedly the 6.2L has forged pistons to go with its titanium rods (C6 Z06 also has titanium rods), so adding more boost should be a cinch (once the pulley situation is figured out). I'm betting a pulley, tune, headers/exhaust and you're looking at another 50-100hp.

As for driving ability, simply because of the # of Corvettes and the many more who go to the 1/4 WAY more often than most Viper owners will ever go, percentage-wise, there are going to be more of them who are better drivers at the track. It's really a #'s game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang