ZR1 FORUMS ARE

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for you guys who don't know, when Z06's run the 1/4, the first thing you do is turn OFF the traction control. You put the car in "Competition Mode" which allows wheelspin but won't let you hit the wall since the active handling capability is still in force, should you happen to hit a slick spot. It will react before you can say "Oh ****!"

Tires for the ACR are only 10mm wider then those spec'd for the ZR1 (345 vs 335), which for the metric-challenged is less than 1/2".

Supposedly the 6.2L has forged pistons to go with its titanium rods (C6 Z06 also has titanium rods), so adding more boost should be a cinch (once the pulley situation is figured out). I'm betting a pulley, tune, headers/exhaust and you're looking at another 50-100hp.

As for driving ability, simply because of the # of Corvettes and the many more who go to the 1/4 WAY more often than most Viper owners will ever go, percentage-wise, there are going to be more of them who are better drivers at the track. It's really a #'s game.

When talking about the ACR who gives a flying crap about 1/4 times? The SRT engineers already said the ACR will be a little slower then the Viper coupe because of all the downforce.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I gotta tell you...I am loyal like a Marine...semper fi, so I will never buy a Vette while I own a Viper.
I want to buy a ZR1. I personally love Vettes but I love Viper much much much more...and Vettes are our nemesis. I will buy a standard Vette for my wife (so I can mentally justify it) but Vipers and Vettes in the same garage are like two male pit bulls in the same cage.....
quote]

I see no problem having one of each sports car, if I can afford it. As long as its the pinnacle of the breed. To me, sports cars are like gold coins, its nice to have one of each. Or as with wine- Who says "I just drink Merlot, but Port is the enemy"? If we can, we like to have several bottles of various types, each appreciated for their relative merits.

What do make of collectors who have several makes of notable sports cars in their garages? PMUM was one such individual, loved by the Viper faithful, and he had at least one Ferrari, a couple of Porsches, an S2000, and a couple/few Vipers....And no one looked at him like a traitor.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Am I the only one that noticed the ZR-1 needed 10C intercooler temps in order to make 620HP?

Reality guys, THINK REALITY.

Heat soak is a *****, aint it?

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and say quite a few of you were around back in the 60s and 70s to see the original muscle car wars, the horsepower fights and the ponycar brawls. I am really enjoying this whole ride watching 500hp Mustangs, 5 and 600hp Vipers, and 5 and 600hp Vettes.

Back then from what I understand, most of the cars like the Challengers, Shelby Mustangs, Camaros etc all handled relatively the same. I could be wrong. Like many of you said, it may very well be a driver's fight, not necessarily the car or the car company. I am really excited to see the new ACRs on the track as well as the ZR-1.

All this being said though...If Chevrolet wanted to stay true to the ZR-1 name, they would've made it a sleeper, in that the C4 and C4 ZR-1 were almost aesthetically the same. Every time I see a black, red, dark green or yellow C4 I take a double look to see if it was in fact a ZR-1. Have any of you owned a C4 era ZR-1? Just curious.

My .01

-Steve

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modding a blown engine is always going to be easier than a N/A engine, plain and simple. The '03 Mustang Cobra "Terminators" with much smaller displacement, less compression, and less efficient blowers were getting about 80 - 100rwhp (90 - 120bhp) gains from an intake, smaller pulley, and tune. I know the Ford GT's very easily hit the 600 mark with just a pulley and tune, and the GT-500's are getting about 100rwhp out of an intake, pulley, and tune. Now, add in 25 - 30 more rwhp with headers, and you can see how you can get monstrous power without even cracking the engine open.

By the way, does anyone know the reason they deliberately named the car a ZR1 (no hyphen) instead of calling it a ZR-1?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, bench racing at its finest.

Why do all these threads turn into an "us vs. them" debate? Hopefully there are other performance enthusiasts out there, like myself, who can appreciate several different brands of cars. I happen to like the ZR1. Those ribbing the ZR1 for its flashy or even "gimmicky" appearance also need a reality check. I'd bet most of the population says that the Viper is far more flashy or gimmicky looking to them. ***, meet kettle?

The fact is that a supercharged 6.2L LS based engine should have no problem kicking the crap out of a stock Viper. Have you seen the broad torque and HP curves of a roots blown V8? The 620hp is underrated for sure, that combo will put down close to 600 rwhp with little effort. I know, I made 550 rwhp on a roots blown C6, at only 5.5 psi boost on a stock 6.0L LS2. Even the blower I had wasn't as efficient as this new ZR1 4-lobe blower. Mine ran 11.2 @ 130 on stock runflat tires, and my car weighed more than the ZR1. It only takes 15 minutes to swap a smaller blower pulley, figure another 50-60 rwhp easily. Look at the '03-04 Cobra guys pushing 525 rwhp with bolt-ons, on a crappy 4.6L modular engine. Pulley, exhaust, tuning.

I may buy a ZR1, it would be cool to have BOTH a Viper and a ZR1. I can appreciate both cars for what they are. Now, as far as curb appeal and instant rock-star status, nothing beats a Viper!

Tony

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way to tell if the Mopar package would even the playing field yet, at least in a straight line, as the 620hp figure for the ZR1 is not final yet. I dont care if the ZR1 kills the ACR in a straight line as long as the ACR dominates it on a road course. ZR1 will be no slouch on the twisties, however, with there claims of 1.6 g peak cornering etc [similar to ACR claims]. Cant wait for a head to head..

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of this talk about easily changing the pulley on the ZR1 isn't going to happen. While this is true of the 03-04 Cobras, it isn't nearly as easy with the GT500s. I personally like the ZR1 but I tend to agree with many of the Corvette drivers in that they needed to do more to set it apart from the other Vettes. I also tend to like cars and not brands but on this same topic I am die hard Viper through and through. It would have been nice to get one of these 08s/ACRs over to the Nurburgring Nordschliefe and see what they are capable of in the right hands. It seems that those numbers do alot when it comes to selling these types of cars. Look at the excitement that was created with the numbers the Nissan GTR supposedly put up over there. If running the car over there isn't possible then post up the numbers of the car running at a track such as VIR.

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF they employ a sophisticated launch control system, they may see incredible numbers (like the new Nissan and the Ferraris). I have not read that this was the plan. if it is not, the 620hp will be eaten up by the traction control and poor traction. Remember, on street tires/stock tires, 1000+hp Vipers are just a few ticks ahead of the factory version, and that is with wider rear tires.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow thats a very noticable difference in size but it doesnt prove anything....Does size really matter lol.....Ive never heard of fading problems with the gen III Vipers from any of the tests in the past mags...Even on long tracks like VIR so we will see if size matters....If I remember correctly the gen III had done a 97ft stop from 60mph in one of the major mags....Right there with the Enzo at the time with its CCB's it was noted.....ACR has lighter and better brakes so we shall see what transpires in the head to head....Only tests that will count imho...

OP
OP
X

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so sick of people talking about dragstrip numbers.The ACR has NOTHING to do with a dragstrip.This car was made for cornering not hard launches and all that ****.Lets talk about lap times.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And about Viipermann's math.....the current LS3 is making close to 450bhp, and the ZR1 IS STILL NOT OUT YET SO WE DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS HORSEPOWER NUMBER IS....that's why he put 450 + ???

Thanks for the assist ... but if noticed, I listed HP/L calculations for all of the engines, in a naturally-aspirated condition. Based upon GM's many variations of that V8, it's safe to estimate that the 6.2L will generate no more than 450HP -- before adding the blower. So the blower needs to NET an additional +170HP (+38%) to get to the estimated total HP of 620. I think too many folks are talking as if that blower was slapped on the current 7.0L Z06 engine. Now that WOULD have been a monster (as many Vette fans were hoping). But this ZR1 set up does not start with the Z06 engine.

Too much of the $100,000 price tag (and R&D) went into the see-through hood window, carbon fiber roof coating, and fancy fake side scoops. The Z06, for the money, will still be viewed as the Vette that most folks really want.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there no roadster/convertible version of the ZR1 going to be produced?

Ahhh, let me check ...

... um, nope, still no convertible Z06/ZR1 ... but check out that hood window (taken from the Chevy sales training manual)!!! :D

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't get a C6ZO6 to play on the street....I've tried to race about 4 of them and NONE would play.

I don't think the ZR1 will be much the same.

I need to get some turbos on this N/A car of mine....:eatpop:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha its so funny that at the corvette forum they think that there brakes are amazing since there the same ones that the enzo has but what they forget is that the viper has been stopping better than the enzo :rolaugh:.The Zr-1 is a nice car performance wise but the hood window kills it for me. Some of the add ons are stupid too. Like the carbon fiber roof only saves 6 pounds! I must say though I really like the wheels, I wish dodge would of made a multi-spoke wheel for the Acr like the old ones.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha its so funny that at the corvette forum they think that there brakes are amazing since there the same ones that the enzo has but what they forget is that the viper has been stopping better than the enzo :rolaugh:.The Zr-1 is a nice car performance wise but the hood window kills it for me. Some of the add ons are stupid too. Like the carbon fiber roof only saves 6 pounds! I must say though I really like the wheels, I wish dodge would of made a multi-spoke wheel for the Acr like the old ones.

Same as FXX not Enzo...They are bigger than an Enzo's...Even though they are shaved down versions of the FXX its still bigger than the Enzos and I agree that the gen III have been in the top tier of sportscars in braking even without CCB's...And no fade...Will be an interesting year:)

Edit: I misread the article....The rears on the ZR1 are indeed from an Enzo. The FRONT Enzo rotors lol. The ZR1's Front rotors are from the FXX....

Last edited:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think about it, the ZR1 is decent value, considering the parts, materials, and technology utilized. The CCM brakes were a $16K option on an '07 F430. The ZR1 will be first to offer clear-coat carbon-fiber exterior panels designed to last the life of the car. The chemical additive in the clear-coat costs more than $60,000 a gallon!:omg: The fenders, hood, B-pillar and roof are all carbon fiber, as are the new front splitter, rocker extensions and rear spoiler, and we know the stuff is not cheap. Add an intercooled blower, titanium rods and intake valves, forged pistons, and a ring-and-pinion that is shot-peened for durability, and you have quite a package that even the haters have to appreciate.

Furthermore, since launching a car with so much horsepower can become a violent, axle-hopping mess, Chevrolet has come up with two novel countermeasures.

First are the rear shocks. When you're stopped and the clutch pedal is depressed and you pile on some revs, the car assumes you want to launch it hard. It automatically softens the compression damping of the rear shocks, and this allows the rear end to squat and effectively shift more weight to the rear of the car for added traction. At the same time, the rebound damping of the rear shocks goes up to 99 percent of full stiffness. This means that the rear cannot spring back up under power in the up-and-down monkey motion of axle hop.

Also, according to GM, the standard magnetic shocks allow the ZR1 chassis team to use softer springs than the Z06 for a more compliant ride. To further mitigate power hop, Chevy has also fitted the ZR1 with axle half-shafts of different diameters (33mm on the right and 40mm on the left).

I still would bet that 9 out of 10 would still find the Viper (ACR or not) to be the better looking car, but that's a different issue...

Last edited:

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way to tell if the Mopar package would even the playing field yet, at least in a straight line, as the 620hp figure for the ZR1 is not final yet. I dont care if the ZR1 kills the ACR in a straight line as long as the ACR dominates it on a road course. ZR1 will be no slouch on the twisties, however, with there claims of 1.6 g peak cornering etc [similar to ACR claims]. Cant wait for a head to head..

Well first of all I think tracking is like drifting :lmao: to be honest nothing like in the south pulling up to a light and going from a dead stop to a quarter mile the fastest....If I was going to by a track car no offense but I would buy the Nissan GTR because I promise you it will out due both the ACR & ZR1 there....

People like Underground racing, heffner etc....are into fastest quarter mile not because my civic can out turn your civic kind of crap....:2tu:

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 is going to be formidable, no doubt. All that technology in a package that still rides smooth and has all the creature comforts is awesome, it's really what the Corvette is all about. In street/strip action, its going to be near impossible to beat.

That being said, when it comes time to man up to the challenge of a roadcourse and extended laps any experienced racer knows what it takes to run consistently fast, without breaking or overheating your beast. Even the guys on the Vette forums concede the ACR has what it takes for the long haul.

In the end, Dodge gave us what we wanted, the Viper still has its rawness, with even more capability than any street car they've ever made for us. :D

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well first of all I think tracking is like drifting :lmao: to be honest nothing like in the south pulling up to a light and going from a dead stop to a quarter mile the fastest....If I was going to by a track car no offense but I would buy the Nissan GTR because I promise you it will out due both the ACR & ZR1 there....

People like Underground racing, heffner etc....are into fastest quarter mile not because my civic can out turn your civic kind of crap....:2tu:

Are you sure you would buy the GTR? (Even though it looks like an Altima?) You 'promise' that its faster? I think an amature driver might drive the GTR faster -- with all the aids that it has -- but a pro driver? on a track with long straights? No way. The GTR will be super quick from a dead stop because of its 4wd traction, but either the ACR or the ZR1 will pass it on a long staight (then it's just a matter of running away from it). By the way, nobody ever runs the fastest lap time by drifting. To get a better idea, you might try auto-cross instead. Guarantee you'll feel humble as you run over nearly every cone on the course. :omg:

As for pulling up to a light, well yes, $hits and giggles are always fun. But if you're a 'driver' it's all about the track -- whenever you can manage the chance. :drive:

As for the tuners? They are into ... money. Power mods sell. They are good for business -- much more so than expensive suspension set ups. That's how 99% of car owners 'win.' Spend money for more power and you just know your faster in your mind ... even if most of us never use all of it.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What the hell? Did anyone else understand that drivel? I got one part racing is like drifting....yeah, OK. You fail.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont know if this is a serious post or not:lmao:No one in there right mind will think the GTR will out run an ACR/ZR1 in the twisties right?:nono:....GTR is a great GT car but it will not beat a competant driver in either ACR or ZR1 imho...I doubt it will beat the 08 Viper/Z06 much less an ACR/ZR1....But we all have opinions till the actual head to heads are done...So we will see my friend:)

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you would buy the GTR? (Even though it looks like an Altima?) You 'promise' that its faster? I think an amature driver might drive the GTR faster -- with all the aids that it has -- but a pro driver? on a track with long straights? No way. The GTR will be super quick from a dead stop because of its 4wd traction, but either the ACR or the ZR1 will pass it on a long staight (then it's just a matter of running away from it). By the way, nobody ever runs the fastest lap time by drifting. To get a better idea, you might try auto-cross instead. Guarantee you'll feel humble as you run over nearly every cone on the course. :omg:

As for pulling up to a light, well yes, $hits and giggles are always fun. But if you're a 'driver' it's all about the track -- whenever you can manage the chance. :drive:

As for the tuners? They are into ... money. Power mods sell. They are good for business -- much more so than expensive suspension set ups. That's how 99% of car owners 'win.' Spend money for more power and you just know your faster in your mind ... even if most of us never use all of it.

Ricers created drifting because they just couldn't handle flat out running....Track racing is right next to that I can't out run you but I bet I can out track you...*** comp out....Yeah you are right power sales....you don't see thousands of people in the stands watching your Viper run around a track but you see thousands of people at these shootouts come to rocking NC you will see it's just more exciting and by the way have you ever tried to lunch a 10 second car it takes quite of bit of skill to do so and yes I have tracked before on my 01 Stage 3 Roush...No you wouldn't want to drift of course in tracking it would slow you down....If you catch the article in the back of the motortrend which was like two months ago talking about the GTR which completely blew away the track expectations....You might want to read that article its pretty informative...Of course we would need a head to head comparison that the beafed up Altima you might want to call it is going to be a beast once it hits the track in the US...

Last edited:

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scene One. Sendai Raceway, two hours north of Tokyo on the Bullet Train. Sendai is the only public racing circuit where Nissan tested its new GT-R. Apart from the Nurburgring in Germany-around which it's the world's fastest production car (only the limited-build Porsche Carrera GT laps faster, says Nissan). Sendai is like a mini 'Ring: fast and undulating and full of sweeping corners and heart-in-mouth turns. It's a roller-coaster raceway. "We didn't test on any other public racetrack because most are too easy," says chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno, ex-head of Nissan's sports-car racing program

This car was built for one thing and one thing only the track...

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys know that GM was going to put a turbo on the ZR1 before the test mule w/ the turbo burned to the ground? That would have been interesting.