0-60 starts vs. clutch wear?

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had to have the clutch replaced on my viper, after only doing fifteen racing starts. I don't understand how so many people can afford to take their vipers to the drag strip, if the clutch becomes ruined so quickley. I would like to know if other viper owners have had the same experience with their clutches, and if so how long did it take you to wear yours out?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious.... which clutch did you put in to replace it? How much did it cost? What it a high performance clutch? Thanks.
How many miles did your original last?

OP
OP
Y

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 viper with 2800 miles on it, but the only aggressive starts that I did were the fifteen just prior to the clutch problem. I brought it to the dealership to get checked out because it took 3000 rpms before it would start moving and the rev-limiter changed from 6000 rpms to 5500. When I called to see what the problem was they said it needed a new clutch and that it was covered by the warranty. I asked if there were any better parts that I could put in but they they said that they wouldn't make that much of a difference. I have had the car back from the shop since thursday and it is much more responsive than I remember it previously being. Are there aftermarket clutches for the viper that would allow me to drag race it on a normal basis and not have to take it in to have a new clutch put in every week?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2,800 miles! Yikes. The factory must have goofed when they put the clutch in. Did you notice a small buring smell when you got out of your snake? This sounds like an extreme case.

OP
OP
Y

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got out fo the car I had noticed the burning smell, and my friend who had been driving behind me said that he could smell it while he was driving behind me. I had asked the service guy at the dealership if it was defective put he said it wasn't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4