09 ACR sold for 112,00.00 on Barrett-Jackson

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice to all of us Viper owners is this. Although we all probably agree that the sale of this ACR Viper seems to be above market since others like it can't seem to move at far lower prices, we should embrace it and realize that;
A. We should consider looking to Barrett Jackson to sell our Vipers in the future, or
B. If we are concerned about our resale value, we should hold onto out Vipers and keep them pristine as they will all likely be worth much more as the years get on, especially as more and more people unfortunately continue to wreck their Vipers and make them increasingly rare, or
C. Embrace this sale and hold our asking prices a bit higher and firmer across the board as we all are currently defining the market price for Vipers whenever we put one onto the market. Once people start dropping prices on their cars too fast or too much, it dilutes the market and cheapens the Viper brand and actually creates a cheaper market for the cars. Remember, the more Vipers that are on the market of a particular year, type, and color, the lower the prices will be due to more competition and the laws of supply and demand. There are currently not many high quality and low mileage Gen II GTS Vipers for sale, so those are really holding their value and are even going back up in value. There are a lot of RT10's and a lot of GEN III Vipers flooding the market so those are depreciating quicker. There is a very limited amount of Gen IV Vipers for sale, and in many cases there are even only one of or a couple of a particular color for sale in the whole country, so they should hold their value even better if that persists. Anyone wanting a Ford GT and is familiar with that market should know that those cars have only gone up in value since they hit the market, partially due to the low production numbers and high percentage of wrecked cars just like the Viper, but also because there are so few that are ever on the market at the same time. It is also arguably an even more exotic car than the Viper, even if by only a bit.

And as for all the conspiracy theories, I think that's all a bunch of BS. Nobody is out to screw us over or over inflate or dilute the brand. We do that to ourselves. It's all supply and demand, which also explains why the first Corvette sold for over $1 million at BJ, because there are a LOT more Corvette guys out there who are willing to pay big money to have one a very special Corvette that is sure to be worth a lot one day, be it sentimental or actual $ value. And that's my 2 sense............

Again, words of wisdom. I remember when the Viper was one of the most sought after cars on the market similar to the FGT right now and all the Viper dealers did exactly that. Anything nice that came on the market was grabbed up almost immediately by one of the big Viper Dealers such as BJ Motors or DodgeViperforSale.com and were sold for a premium. I don't know if it is because you do not see many quality Gen II's anymore or they are just not in as big of a demand. I am just thankful I have mine and do not have to find another "quality" car like mine again as I am always watching the market and it is rare I see a nice Gen II with super low mileage in one of the more desirable or lower production colors. Just my two cents for whatever it is worth.

Not to change the topic but, where does everybody see the FGT market going? Personally I think the prices are over inflated and will come back down and level out a little bit in the future. I would love to add one to my stable one day so my luck they will keep going up and eventually be 7 figures. I will end up kicking myself for not buying the one I wanted to back in 09 for 130 just like I do for not buying that property in the Keys that went from 365 to 1.4 back in the days.

Last edited:

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see FGT prices ever going down. They were only produced for a couple years in extremely low numbers, and with another one getting wrapped around a tree every few weeks, they will only keep going up in value. I know a few guys that own FGT's, and some of them are buying 2nd or 3rd FGT's so they have one or two for investment purposes, and one in a less desirable color to enjoy on the road. Most people who own them see the future value and have no plans to sell anytime soon. And that's why so few come to market and keep going up and up in value. The lowest you can buy one for now is about $160k, and they go over $200k for a very low miles example in the right colors. The Gulf Edition already can be seen going for over $300k!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And with people modding them, ones never modded are getting even rarer. I don't see them ever dropping in value.

I do wish Ford would make another attempt at them.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And with people modding them, ones never modded are getting even rarer. I don't see them ever dropping in value.

I do wish Ford would make another attempt at them.

Yes, I have NO idea why they stopped making them, although I have heard a rumor about it being related to headlight height being too low due to the laws changing. While they are awesome cars I do not know if I can justify spending 200k for one. I am not really looking for one as an investment although not losing my shirt if I were ever going to sell it is a real nice benefit to owning one. I just love the exotic looks of them and similar to the Viper you do not see many of them and they are very easy to maintain/fix.

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have NO idea why they stopped making them, although I have heard a rumor about it being related to headlight height being too low due to the laws changing. While they are awesome cars I do not know if I can justify spending 200k for one. I am not really looking for one as an investment although not losing my shirt if I were ever going to sell it is a real nice benefit to owning one. I just love the exotic looks of them and similar to the Viper you do not see many of them and they are very easy to maintain/fix.

They couldn't sell them. People were afraid they wouldn't hold their value because they were fords so no one was willing to pony up $160K+
Bought one for $10k under sticker value dropped to $125,000 in first year. When production stopped the market started creeping up for previously mentioned reasons.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I remember when the prices were dropping on them. I knew they would go back up, but these prices are crazy. My money was always on the Heritage editions, but as a 25 year old kid there was no way I was even close to being able to afford one.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made 4000 of them so they are not really rare, hell there are only about 600 Gen 4 ACR's.
But no one sells it once the buy one. They are bought and put away.
Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road and they are even rare at car shows.
The scarcity drives the price ever upward, but I think they have peaked.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made 4000 of them so they are not really rare, hell there are only about 600 Gen 4 ACR's.
But no one sells it once the buy one. They are bought and put away.
Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road and they are even rare at car shows.
The scarcity drives the price ever upward, but I think they have peaked.

I have to agree, time will tell. They are out of my price range right now anyway so it is a moot point.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see FGT prices ever going down. They were only produced for a couple years in extremely low numbers, and with another one getting wrapped around a tree every few weeks, they will only keep going up in value. I know a few guys that own FGT's, and some of them are buying 2nd or 3rd FGT's so they have one or two for investment purposes, and one in a less desirable color to enjoy on the road. Most people who own them see the future value and have no plans to sell anytime soon. And that's why so few come to market and keep going up and up in value. The lowest you can buy one for now is about $160k, and they go over $200k for a very low miles example in the right colors. The Gulf Edition already can be seen going for over $300k!

When the heritage edition came out, I had a dealer begging me to take it for $10k off sticker and I said no, dumb move.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alot of cars pulling large money at auction have been fully restored. If you are holding your viper for the next 30 years with the hopes of it being a good investment, you couldnt be getting much enjoyment from the car. Why not drive the hell out of it and restore it down the road?

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of cars pulling large money at auction have been fully restored. If you are holding your viper for the next 30 years with the hopes of it being a good investment, you couldnt be getting much enjoyment from the car. Why not drive the hell out of it and restore it down the road?

All i can say is that we all enjoy our cars differently. I don't know about other guys on here, but half the fun of owning a Viper for me is just knowing I have it in the garage and going down to look at it whenever I want with a huge smile on my face. I commute to work by bus or subway, so both my cars are weekend use only, and with a wife and baby boy, the Viper is for occasional use at best only in good weather to car shows or drives with friends or my wife. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any more enjoyment by not using it every day, and would probably be very stressed out if I used it that way always worrying if it was getting scratched or dented in a parking lot or if people were maliciously damaging it. And original cars in excellent shape are always worth more than a restored car that you spent $100k and 2 years restoring, which makes it more of a money pit rather than an investment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets