'13 GT500 vs '13 Viper - Video

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 13 GT500 and two Vipers (08 Vert and 09 ACR). MY GT500 is bone stock with few options. It is wicked fast and it would be a close race with the Viper in a straight line but on a road course the Viper would kicks its butt. The GT500 is fun and I regularly get thumbs up from other drivers. The other day a pickup truck was going across the intersection where I was stopped for a light. The driver rolled the window down and gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. She was at least 50!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 2014 I believe Ford will give the GT500 a fully-independent rear suspension. With Ford flush with cash from operations, that could be a great car for a great value.

I love all sportscars and especially like it when there is a $65k car with 662hp--this pushes/challenges all manufactures in one way or another, regardless of whether or not one views the Mustang as a competitor to the Viper, etc.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 2014 I believe Ford will give the GT500 a fully-independent rear suspension. With Ford flush with cash from operations, that could be a great car for a great value.

I love all sportscars and especially like it when there is a $65k car with 662hp--this pushes/challenges all manufactures in one way or another, regardless of whether or not one views the Mustang as a competitor to the Viper, etc.

The GT500 is dead. There is no more of it.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I just installed my Borla S system on my '14 GT500 I didn't notice an IRS. lol

Nope, on the IRS.

The 2015 is the new 550 platform, there'll be no Shelby or GT500. The agreement with Shelby American has ended with the '14. As always with Ford we won't see a high performance stang for 2 yrs, most likely a Cobra designation. They will have a Mach 1 also, specs are all speculative at this point.

Funny, we spend a lot of time talking about the GT500 in the gen5 forum.

And agreed on the road purse comparo, I track my GT500s and Vipers, the viper is a shifter cart by comparison. Pobst drove it 4 secs slower than the Viper around Laguna. Of course it lapped faster than the 2012 MB SLS AMG, not bad for a SLA rear stanger.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT500 is dead. There is no more of it.

Touchy, touchy!

OK, the NEXT hypo Mustang will have IRS. And again, the point is that cars at a pricepoint of $60l--$80k less than the Gen V are putting out impressive factory power and this should push SRT, GM, Porsche, etc. I have a Gen IV and love it, but hope for much more with the Gen V ACR than is present in the Gen V SRT and GTS.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don't see it as competition for Porsche or the Viper, I see it more towards a base C7 target.

But opinions are like aholes

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don't see it as competition for Porsche or the Viper, I see it more towards a base C7 target.

But opinions are like aholes

Agreed. I own both and I'd never consider one vs the other, way different. For me, you're dead on, I was looking at ZR1s a couple yrs old, ZL1, 427 vette vert ... So that was my competition for it without actually thinking about it. For my vipers, I've had turbo Porsche and that was a trade off for a period between my gen2 and gen3 for example. So my exp is as you describe. But it's all good to me. The more perf cars we have out there at any price point the more all manufacturers need to do to impress buyers, even if its not direct competition I guess.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So,in having 3 Vipers and a 911 Turbo S ,I must say I like that GT 500 Stang.A Ford Dealer near me has a 14 Silver Couple one with a track pack.The car is bad ass,I am about ready to buy it for the hell of it to use a daily driver with my Jeep Rubicon.Sticker is 63,000.00 got them to 62000.00.If I can get another grand off, will get it..Cheap...

Do you all that have 13/14 GT 500s,like them for daily drivers ?????

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So,in having 3 Vipers and a 911 Turbo S ,I must say I like that GT 500 Stang.A Ford Dealer near me has a 14 Silver Couple one with a track pack.The car is bad ass,I am about ready to buy it for the hell of it to use a daily driver with my Jeep Rubicon.Sticker is 63,000.00 got them to 62000.00.If I can get another grand off, will get it..Cheap...

Do you all that have 13/14 GT 500s,like them for daily drivers ?????

Quick answer - as we've dragged ourselves well off topic, lol.

I had an '11 I did almost 20K mis in, and picked up a '14 just a month ago: Silver/Black, Perf Pack, Track Pack, Audio Pro, etc. It's my nice weather daily driver, I do about 7,000 mis per yr in the GT500s, I have other cars/bikes to mix other driving in and the viper is nice weather only / convertible weather.

I think it's perfect for driving all the time. The electronic steering and suspension allow for comfort vs track setting. Plenty of gadgets, accelerometers, apps, you name it. Wife finds it totally comfortable, we use it to go out almost like other people would use a luxury car. And it's mild until you punch it and then its all rip-snorting beastly. It does the highest yearly mileage with me for sure and sees trackdays for fun.

I got mine at $3500 off MSRP, or $62K, mine also has the glass roof which is $2K extra. That price was so good, I had guys on the SVT site saying I was lying, took the PO to prove otherwise. Since this is the last yr of the Shelby there are a lot of dealers still putting $5K plus ADMS on them, I got mine about 450 mis away at a dealer an hour out of a big city, so a deal was easy to get. MSRP is the norm right now, which by mustang standards is high. If you can get $3K off and it's local, that's a great deal. I went with a '14 myself because used '13s were selling at or near their original MSRP, which is crack-smoking prices IMO.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind the Viper, I've got my sights on the GT500s and Boss 302s on the road courses with my Camaro 1LE. I'm about to put longtubes and a cam in it, plus a few other goodies, and it should hit about 530 HP at the flyweel. That ought to be sufficient, because this 1LE handles like it's on rails (at least for it's porky weight, it's impressive).

The Viper is in another league than the Mustangs and Camaros, I'll be setting my sights on the Z06s, ZR1s and Italian beauties at the track!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind the Viper, I've got my sights on the GT500s and Boss 302s on the road courses with my Camaro 1LE. I'm about to put longtubes and a cam in it, plus a few other goodies, and it should hit about 530 HP at the flyweel. That ought to be sufficient, because this 1LE handles like it's on rails (at least for it's porky weight, it's impressive).

The Viper is in another league than the Mustangs and Camaros, I'll be setting my sights on the Z06s, ZR1s and Italian beauties at the track!

We may choose slightly different brands, but we definitely think alike. All about the fun!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know the Turbo Porsches,Vipers etc,(have them) are a different league. Please my Turbo S runs 10.70s all day long,every time,bone stock.The Stang will not hang with that,but for 60K,it is a Bass Ass DD.Pair of Drag Radials and a little tune,it should run with the Porsche for about 140,000.00 less $$$$.Thanks for the info.You can bet I will want that 3000.00 off MSRP.I told them no at 1000.00 off and the GM calls a couple times a day...

I am thinking,the Stang would be a good road trip car also...

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We may choose slightly different brands, but we definitely think alike. All about the fun!

Truth is, I like Stangs too. In fact, I tried to buy a used Boss 302 before I found the Camaro, they have really held their value. But now that I have a bowtie, the blue oval is in my sights, LOL. I'm not normally a competitive person, but I'm like Mr. Hyde when hit the track :drive:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come out to Laguna Seca. There's a track day in August. I Would love to see Mr. Hyde in his Gen V. I'll bring my C6Z06 and ACR to play with.. :) :D

Nice! I haven't been able to swing Laguna Seca with my schedule yet. I'll be taking the Gen V to the CA Viper Gathering 8/23-8/25, which overlaps the HOD Laguna Seca date.

Here's my track schedule:
8/9: Thunderhill with Hooked on Driving in the Camaro
9/6: Thunderhill with HOD in the Viper
9/21-9/22: Buttonwillow with Speedventures in the Camaro or Viper
10/9-10/11: Spring Mountain in the Ron Fellows Level 2 School. I will be tracking the Viper every evening, after driving Corvettes during the day.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice! I haven't been able to swing Laguna Seca with my schedule yet. I'll be taking the Gen V to the CA Viper Gathering 8/23-8/25, which overlaps the HOD Laguna Seca date.

Here's my track schedule:
8/9: Thunderhill with Hooked on Driving in the Camaro
9/6: Thunderhill with HOD in the Viper
9/21-9/22: Buttonwillow with Speedventures in the Camaro or Viper
10/9-10/11: Spring Mountain in the Ron Fellows Level 2 School. I will be tracking the Viper every evening, after driving Corvettes during the day.

Laguna is just an hour from San Jose. I'm surprised it's not your go to track..

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laguna is just an hour from San Jose. I'm surprised it's not your go to track..

It has been mainly a schedule issue at this point, but I'm looking for a date that I can go. I had a Speedventures Seca weekend booked in the Viper that I had to cancel because the Viper is soooo late. Still not here, but in Final Inspection now. Should have it within a couple of weeks. I've also never driven Laguna Seca so I'll probably track the Camaro there first to learn the lines, before taking the Viper. I'd love to get the chance to ride with someone that knows Seca well, hopefully we can meet up there and you can take me for a spin. Oops, maybe spin wasn't the best choice of wording, LOL.

I just got a quote from Locton for track day insurance. I'll pay $700 to insure the Viper for the weekend, that makes Laguna Seca more palatable. Thunderhill has the advantage of almost no walls to hit, however Laguna has bitten a number of my friends.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has been mainly a schedule issue at this point, but I'm looking for a date that I can go. I had a Speedventures Seca weekend booked in the Viper that I had to cancel because the Viper is soooo late. Still not here, but in Final Inspection now. Should have it within a couple of weeks. I've also never driven Laguna Seca so I'll probably track the Camaro there first to learn the lines, before taking the Viper. I'd love to get the chance to ride with someone that knows Seca well, hopefully we can meet up there and you can take me for a spin. Oops, maybe spin wasn't the best choice of wording, LOL.

I just got a quote from Locton for track day insurance. I'll pay $700 to insure the Viper for the weekend, that makes Laguna Seca more palatable. Thunderhill has the advantage of almost no walls to hit, however Laguna has bitten a number of my friends.

My last outing Speedventures..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJDYVrTbVM

You must be registered for see images attach

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member