2001 GTS issues at track, please help.

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard braking then hard acceleration = rattling noise and black smoke from exhaust. (bedding brake pads)

Hard braking, then right & left, then hard acceleration = rattling noise and black smoke from exhaust. For those who know Portland International Raceway, this is the left in the festival turns after the front straight.

Hard braking, then left, then hard acceleration = rattling noise and black smoke from exhaust. For those who know Thunderhill, this is turn 11 and exit.

On top of this, my cream puff drinks about 2 quarts of oil in ~100 track miles.
crying.gif

Local Viper tech has fixed some baffle issues on the valve cover(s).

Any idea what's going on?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke = burning oil, this is common on hard acceleration then hard deceleration. The black smoke is your computer "learning" because the car is being driven much different then on the street. It is a defense mechanism to protect the motor, the computer makes the car run very rich thus the black smoke. Happens to me from time to time at the track but usually goes away after a while (as the computer learns).

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, when I said black smoke from dumping oil earlier, I meant whitish-grayish-black. Sorry about the white/black confusion.
It is normal as far as I can tell. It happens under very specific situations that are common on cars of similar engine design/layout.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The rattling is detonation due to the oil getting in the combustion chamber under acceleration. Under braking, engine decel, the blowby from the rings is pressurizing the crankcase, which forces oil / oil mist into the intake manifold and airbox because of the crankcase ventilation system. Detonation is bad. It beats out bearings and destroys pistons.
There are some crankcase breather / oil separators available from guys in your area, such as Dan Cragin and Ted May.

Sean

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang