2001 GTS w/ 100k miles

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone familiar with this car or close to Sacramento and willing to check it out?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ320007359673QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6209QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please PM me if you have any comments or info.

I haven't seen too many 01's with mileage this high so I'm honestly not sure if it's priced reasonably or not. I imagine its a decent deal if the car has been really well maintained, but a bad deal if it needs any major replacements.

-Brad

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats gotta be a typo. He means 10,000 miles, right? But if it does have 100k on it, congrats to the owner for havings the balls to drive it that much. I almost feel guilty at times for putting miles on mine (but that doesnt stop me! :) ) But with the crappy photos and low feedback of the seller, be careful on this one!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100k mile, $30k, 2001 GTS - i think its cool if you know what your getting. says original owner.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are (((very))) serious about the car, i could meet him half way. im about 1HR from Sac. Im sure he would have no issues driving to meet me with the 100k odo. haha

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone in this club even have a 100k+ mile car? if so, what did you replace at 50-100k miles?

OP
OP
B

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keprght, thanks for that offer. At the moment it's not looking positive - I e-mailed the seller a couple of days ago and he still hasn't responded.

High miles + low feedback + bad pictures + unresponsive seller = :nono:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a driver for sure. Good luck with the purchase; LOW LOW 30's would be a good price for this car. If you decide to go with this car, just get it checked at a local dealer with a good Viper tech first to make sure everything is okay.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You could track that car, and if you *** it up, the loss is less than the gain would have been if you had to replace it before resale, assuming the insurance doesn't cover non track events, or maybe even driving schools, if the deductible isn't too much.

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too bad Vipers are not like the NSX's. Those guys still get a premium for 91-92' cars with 100K+ miles.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too bad Vipers are not like the NSX's. Those guys still get a premium for 91-92' cars with 100K+ miles.

Hehehehehe...just sold my '91 NSX with a 160K on the Odo for high $20K. Those cars are absolutely bulletproof. Not one thing went wrong during those miles. The only thing I had to do was routine maintenance and reglue a corner of my windshield weather strip. :cool:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You could track that car, and if you *** it up, the loss is less than the gain would have been if you had to replace it before resale, assuming the insurance doesn't cover non track events, or maybe even driving schools, if the deductible isn't too much.

Dang! Does this mean I can post gibberish and nobody notices? Didn't even raise an eyebrow, it seems... :)

OP
OP
B

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dang! Does this mean I can post gibberish and nobody notices? Didn't even raise an eyebrow, it seems... :)

Haha - actually, that's pretty funny.

When you originally posted that I re-read it like 5 or 6 times thinking "Seriously, [******] does that say?! Am I expected to translate this nonsense back into a coherent sentence? Gahhh!!!"

But as a noob on these forums I didn't want reply and insult some established member with 5000 posts. :smirk:

-Brad

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Short Answer: Yes

Long answer, I read it and said "WT FREAK(replace as appropriate) is he talking about.. D@mn!!"

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Assuming well taken care of through 100k miles, the value of the parts like the hood, side sills, rims, fascia, headlamps, etc, together add up to at least $30k.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Brad, if you go see that car, take a compression tester with you. (You will need a long stem one, to reach the area where the spark plug threads in) Take a plug out, push the compression tester down in tight, and have someone crank the engine over briefly, with no throttle. You only need a couple of revolutions to get a reading. I'm not sure what a stock Viper should read, but it should be at least 100psi, probably more. I'll see if I can find the proper value. If it reads low, might be worn valves, or worn rings. You can determine if its the rings by squirting just a little oil into the cylinder, and try the test again. If it makes a dramatic improvement, the rings are likely bad, because if the rings are good, adding the oil won't make that much of a difference in the ring sealing.

Before you put the plugs back in, look at the carbon buildup on the end of the plugs, it can tell a bit about how the engine is running. If they are all fouled, oily, etc, the engine might need some work.

Look at the brake calipers, is the "Viper" wording yellowed, or is it still white? If its yellowed, the car may have been tracked. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it should alert you to check other things. Is the brake fluid really dark, or burnt? Does the brake pedal have a spongy feel? Anyway, you get the idea, if you find the calipers yellowed, its best to check some other things as well, in case the owner didn't maintain the vehicle while tracking it.

Look at the oil pan, has it been leaking? While you are down there, look at the frame, the belly pan, etc, do you see any damage, or recent repair work? Look down past the intake plenum runners, into the "V" of the block, (use a flashlight if necessary), are there pools of coolant there?

If you don't get to visit the car, maybe someone can look at these things for you.

I've tracked my GTS, and my calipers are yellowed, but I also took care of the car. I changed the brake fluid, all other fluids, pads and rotors, put an Accusump on so it wouldn't starve for oil. I always put Mobil 1 20-50 in it, always warmed it up, and in short was just totally anal about making the engine survive the track usage. The results are good, as it doesn't burn any oil even after 37K miles, and last week when I took the plugs out to change them, they were spotlessly clean, even after 20K miles since the last change.

Why am I telling you all this?

I like the sound of my own voice.

But also to let you know what to look for, if you decide to buy a high milage Viper. And also to give you confidence, that the mileage alone is not the most critical aspect of the purchase, but rather its the overall condition you should look at. Best of luck to you!

Now, back to the silliness!

I read this forum quite a bit, and it seems some posters are just barely literate. (Not on this thread!) Makes you wonder how they got so far in life, to reach a point where they can get a Viper. Anyway, its been wearing me out, reading daily, and I thought I'd take a break from trying to make sense, stop fighting it, and get in touch with my incoherrent side! Let it all hang out, you know? Just blurt random stuff out left and right....Mmmm, I feel so much better now. Now no one will expect me to read and write intelligently, and I will be free of the shackles of civilization.

Oooops, I mean, "reed and rite".

Ah, thats better! :D

OP
OP
B

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going on 4 days and the seller still hasn't replied to my original e-mail, so I've pretty much dropped any interest in this car.

The seller would have needed to be responsive and have all the right answers for me to seriously proceed on this one. (Yes, I have receipts. Yes, it was maintained by a certified Viper tech. Yes, I'd be happy to let a VCA member inspect the car prior to purchase. Etc etc.)

Add in the inconvenience factor due to the distance (California to Pennsylvania) and it's just a flat out no-go.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's gotta be a scam. Even though the pictures aren't that great, the car doesn't appear to be as worn as a 100K mile car should be.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Id jump on that car for 30, shoot you could even try and bargain him more...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Haha - actually, that's pretty funny.

When you originally posted that I re-read it like 5 or 6 times thinking "Seriously, [******] does that say?! Am I expected to translate this nonsense back into a coherent sentence? Gahhh!!!!
Short Answer: Yes

Long answer, I read it and said "WT FREAK(replace as appropriate) is he talking about.. D@mn!!"<br />

Hah hah, I love it! Its much more fun to keep people guessing, than it is being clear! :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the guy isn't responding, there is probably something wrong. Scam perhaps.

But on top of that...
Exactly what is it about 100,000 miles on a 2001 that would make the car worth so much less than a car with 25,000 miles?

Do you think anything in the engine is shot after 100,000 miles?

Anyway, the car will not be sold on Ebay for $30k. The auction will be closed or the scammer will go away. There isn't any way in the world that a 2001 GTS will be sold at a big discount just because it has high miles.

If it is a real auction, I'm betting $40k

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats gotta be a typo. He means 10,000 miles, right? But if it does have 100k on it, congrats to the owner for havings the balls to drive it that much. I almost feel guilty at times for putting miles on mine (but that doesnt stop me! :) ) But with the crappy photos and low feedback of the seller, be careful on this one!

No typo here is what carfax has on this:

2001 DODGE VIPER GTS
1B3ER69E31V700968
COUPE
8.0L V10 SFI OHV / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options
CARFAX Safety &amp; Reliability Report
CARFAX Vehicle History - At A Glance
• 4 billion vehicle history events checked from public and private sources
• Qualifies - CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
• One owner
• Last reported mileage - 106,397 miles

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX
Year purchased 2001
Type of owner Corporate lease
Estimated length of ownership
5 yrs. 3 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces California, Georgia
Estimated miles driven per year 21,170/yr
Last reported odometer reading 106,397

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Frame Damage Check

No frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback.
No Issues Indicated
Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Dodge dealer for any open recalls.
No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

Original warranty estimated to have expired. View Info
Interested in an extended warranty?
Warranty Expired

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Looking for other 2001 DODGE VIPER vehicles like this one in your area?
Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 4 billion vehicle history events and found 8 record(s) for this 2001 DODGE VIPER GTS (1B3ER69E31V700968).

Purchased: 2001
Type: Corporate lease
Where: California, Georgia
Est. miles/year: 21,170/yr
Est. length owned: 4/10/01 - present
(5 yrs. 3 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
04/10/2001 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. First owner reported
Registered as
corporate lease vehicle
03/10/2003 Vehicle Repair Center
Alameda, CA Vehicle serviced
03/10/2003 27,382 California
Inspection Station
Alameda, CA Passed emissions inspection
04/17/2003 27,387 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Sacramento, CA Title issued or updated
04/01/2005 88,606 Georgia
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
04/01/2005 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Decatur, GA
Title #773035050917002 Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
01/03/2006 100,193 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Sacramento, CA Title issued or updated
04/06/2006 106,397 California
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Have Questions? Please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com.

First Owner
When the first owner(s) obtains a title from a Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of ownership.

Fleet Vehicle
Vehicle was registered or sold to a company that manages vehicle fleets.

Lease
When someone leases a car from a dealer, the dealer actually sells the vehicle to a leasing company. The leasing company then collects payments for the vehicle from the new owner for 24, 36, 48 or more months. A leasing company can be an independent car dealer or a car manufacturer.

Ownership History
CARFAX defines an owner as an individual or business that possesses and uses a vehicle. Not all title transactions represent changes in ownership. To provide estimated number of owners, CARFAX proprietary technology analyzes all the events in a vehicle history. Estimated ownership is available for vehicles manufactured after 1994 and titled solely in the US including Puerto Rico. Dealers sometimes opt to take ownership of a vehicle and are required to in the following states: Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota. Please consider this as you review a vehicle's estimated ownership history.

Title Issued
A state issues a title to provide a vehicle owner with proof of ownership. Each title has a unique number. Each title or registration record on a CARFAX report does not necessarily indicate a change in ownership. In Canada, a registration and bill of sale are used as proof of ownership.

Additional Services &amp; Resources
Insurance Center Lending Tree Loans CARFAX Inspection &amp; Road Test CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®
© 2006 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk &amp; Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 19.Jul.2006 07:55:46

OP
OP
B

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't any way in the world that a 2001 GTS will be sold at a big discount just because it has high miles.

If it is a real auction, I'm betting $40k

What? How does 100,000 miles not result in a big discount? $40k is WAY too high given the mileage.