2001 waterpump issue- is there a recall

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no recall no TSB as far as i know.
just as they fail they replace them.
mine went at about 6,000 miles.
warranty replaced it but couldnt use my car for 2 nice weeks in the middle of the summer...errr...

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 6,000 on mine now...are the only warning signs to watch for is high water temp on the guage or do some of them actually leak?

Just keep an eye on the temp guage. if it start going up little by little, that is usually the start of the propeller slipping from the shaft. It will gradually get worse until it wont spin anymore.

If this does happen, and you dont catch it, the car will overheat and melt the thinner head gaskets used due to the new ODBII requirements. After that the engine will run hotter than normal during regualar driving and run really hot and overheat under hard excelleration until it finally blows up.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 6,000 on mine now...are the only warning signs to watch for is high water temp on the guage or do some of them actually leak?

Just keep an eye on the temp guage. if it start going up little by little, that is usually the start of the propeller slipping from the shaft. It will gradually get worse until it wont spin anymore.

If this does happen, and you dont catch it, the car will overheat and melt the thinner head gaskets used due to the new ODBII requirements. After that the engine will run hotter than normal during regualar driving and run really hot and overheat under hard excelleration until it finally blows up.

Thanks Slithrn..I'll keep one eye on the temp guage and the other on the road!!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will be very noticeable.
when you step on the gas the temp gauage will go up
let off the gas it will go back down.

at least that is how bad it was when mine went.
just nursed it home (a few blocks a way) then off to the dealership.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No recall so it will probably leave you stranded :) . If you are lucky enough to find a dealer that is familiar with these water pump issues on the 2001s, they will replace it no questions asked. My old car had the WP replaced 2wice.

whoo hoo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte