'96 GTS WHEELS

BLOWNGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'96 GTS WHEELS

ORDERED SET OF HRE 547R'S. :2tu: SHOULD BE HERE IN A FEW WEEKS. THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY STOCK SET IF SOMEONE WILL PAY A GOOD PRICE FOR THEM. THEY ARE PERFECT. TIRES ONLY HAVE 3000 MILES ON THEM SO THEY ARE PERFECT ALSO. NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE WORTH BUT I DO KNOW THEY ARE NOT EASY TO FIND. :smirk: HOW ABOUT SOME FEED BACK THANKS IN ADVANCE, MATT
:headbang:

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'96 GTS WHEELS

96 wheels are fine for the street, but have been known to crack when used on track (especially w/ sticky tires).
I have seen too many pictures of them on this site....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why not **** your wheels in the classifieds? i think i have seen this post in the general discussion forum.

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey!!
So 96 wheels are prone to crack!?
I had a 96 and the both front wheels had spokes that cracked(I still have one of them in my garage with 4spokes broken off). I contacted Chrysler USA who did not answer(I even proposed to send them free of charge the wheels for inspection). I contacted Chrysler Europe who said it is not their problem the car being an import( I could have been killed or kill somebody didn't interest them). I contacted Chrysler Switzerland who said the problem does not exist.
Certainly there is a legal action to do against a company that sells cars where the wheels cannot handle the performance of it.
No?
Has Chrysler called back all 96 to change the wheels?
I have another issue with Chrysler about a garage lying about a scratch they did on my car. These two things makes me very bitter about a company that makes a car that I love but does not stand up for their responsibility and their customers.
I am a first day VCA Switzerland member and have met many fantastic people in the US and here tru this club.
Now I have a 2002 supercharged GTS.
Please tell me what they have done about this issue.
Thanks,
Anders

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Anders,

I have been concerned about the rims on my '96 GTS for a while: could I take a look at the one you cracked?

thanks
Marcello

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Anders,

I'll do that: thanks
Marcello

ps glad to hear that you walked away from your scrape in Dijon without to much damage to the car (and none to yourself!)

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey guys, thanks for the link.
I will read all tomorrow.
Mine cracked too on street tires.
DC said: We are concerned... END OF COMMUNICATION.
Anybody knows an agressive/good lawyer??
They have pissed me by their arrogant behaviour to us who buy expensive Vipers.
I have never heard about a Porsche breaking a wheel and all my friends race those.(And I pass them, he,he...)
Thank you again.
Anders

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Viper Days won't even allow the stock 96 wheels to be used on track. Many of us were experiencing cracking at track events, hence the rule.

I would also caution you on using HRE wheels for track purposes. The worst track incident I ever saw as a result of a cracked wheel happened to Johhny Weigel at Willow Springs during a Viper Days race several years ago. Yeah, they are beautiful wheels, but, the entire left rear wheel cracked and separated from the car (along with the tire) at the exit of the high speed RH turn 2. The tire and wheel traveled about 1/8th of a mile uphill and ended up in the spectator area. Nobody hurt, except for Johnny's car.

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper Days won't even allow the stock 96 wheels to be used on track. Many of us were experiencing cracking at track events, hence the rule.

I would also caution you on using HRE wheels for track purposes. The worst track incident I ever saw as a result of a cracked wheel happened to Johhny Weigel at Willow Springs during a Viper Days race several years ago. Yeah, they are beautiful wheels, but, the entire left rear wheel cracked and separated from the car (along with the tire) at the exit of the high speed RH turn 2. The tire and wheel traveled about 1/8th of a mile uphill and ended up in the spectator area. Nobody hurt, except for Johnny's car.

hhmmm.... so which wheel are track safe? what about the SSR's that JonB is adverstizing?

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Nearly 100% of the Viper racers in the VRL use John Purner's wheels from Complete Custom wheel. The Comp Coupes come with BBS wheels. Either one is a good choice, but you can purchase 2 sets of Purner's wheels for the price of one set of BBS wheels.

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the tip on the Purners: is there just one model? if not, which is the better one?

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

You can call John Purner at 386-258-0083. His wheels come in different sizes (17"-19") and widths (10"-13-1/2"). All of his race wheels are the same style as far as I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang