ACR or SR-T coupe (if built)?

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys could give me your two cents. I have had a '97 Z-28 and a '92 Corvette LT1 in my past and in April I test drove a '02 GTS and it is my own conclusion that nothing GM offers can compare the Viper. I have also driven a '98 C5, but it doesn't compare. I was wickedly impressed with the GTS and its pure brute power simply ROCKS!!!

I just bought a house and I am in the process of paying off my furniture loans and I will be ready to get my Viper in April '06. I an contemplating getting an ACR (I prefer coupes) at that time or getting an SR-T Viper Coupe. I was wondering if you guys have heard anything about if and when the new SR-T coupe will be produced and sold? Is it likely?

Since a used ACR will run me $65K Canadian and a new coupe if and when sold I guess would run me $130K Canadien(since the current SR-T's go for $116K, I presume there will be a premium for the coupes?). Is the $65K diffference worth the wait and GTS/R looks and goods? Or would you just buy and modify a used ACR?

Thanks in advance,

jps02

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it is what you can afford, how soon you want the car, what you want to do with the car, and if you like the generation 2 or 3 styling. Since this is you first post, I would look on the SRT and other threads. Frankly, it is the hope and expectation of many of us that the coupe will be introduced at VIO8 in September.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance wise the "new" coupe will be king. Looks wise I still like the styling better on the ACR/GTS. It's up to you. GTS is an instant classic that will never be duplicted!!!

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JPS02,
I have an ACR and I am waiting to add a Coupe to my garage if and when they build one.
Therefore buy an ACR now and add a Coupe in the future.
Once bitten you will want more than one :cool:

OP
OP
T

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am still in debate, but most likely I will be tending to wait until April’07 and get the new coupe if it is more or less similar to the GTS/R concept. Does anyone remember if there was a waiting list when the GTS came out in ’96? Will I face the same issue when and if DC releases the coupe? I.e. paying MSRP? Yet in the meantime if I find a really good deal on a red ACR with grey stripes, I might jump on it. The issue for me is I only have room for one in my garage and I want to make the right choice. If I get the ACR, I know myself that a while later I will want to get the new coupe because it is better (this happened to me with my ’92 C4). On the other hand, I want to ensure that no unforeseen circumstances will force me to sell the new coupe after I get it which will cause me to loose big time. When my friend saw the picture of the concept he recommended I wait and get it and then park it wherever I want, parking or no parking allowed. Here in Ottawa, Canada it’s rare to see a Viper on a daily basis. Is anyone planning to ask the DC executives at VOI08 concerning their plans for the coupe? If not, would some mind asking on my behalf? :confused:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is about three weeks to VIO8 and I expect to see a Blue/White SRT coupe there and I think the entire Viper nation is expecting it. I expect/assume we are looking at a 2005/2006 model. It is also interesting that the colors for 2005 have not been announced. IMHO, VIO8 will be one of the best ever, assuming DC shows their hand. I, for one, am starting to get real excited to be in Dallas on September 8th.

OP
OP
T

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only wish I could go. Are you allowed to take pics?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get too far ahead of yourself on a coupe. Absolutely NOTHING has been announced to anybody outside of DC - if they are even building one. All this talk and they may choose just to wait and unveil a coupe (if there is one) in January at the North America Auto Show (where GM is supposed to debut the new Z06). Don't jinx it!! :eek:

Oh yeah, and I will be doing DAILY updates from Dallas, including LOTS of pictures and commentary. Been doing them at the last couple VOI's and they seem to be pretty popular. Watch for them starting the evening of 8/08/04!

OP
OP
T

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Y2K3SRT, I will watch for the pictures and I understand your advice.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is about three weeks to VIO8 and I expect to see a Blue/White SRT coupe there and I think the entire Viper nation is expecting it. I expect/assume we are looking at a 2005/2006 model. It is also interesting that the colors for 2005 have not been announced. IMHO, VIO8 will be one of the best ever, assuming DC shows their hand. I, for one, am starting to get real excited to be in Dallas on September 8th.

Prepare to see a bunch of disappointed and ********** VOI8 attendees. I've heard that the coupe will not be shown until NAIAS in Jan '05.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The current SRT hands all GenII Vipers their butts. I suspect the coupe will fair a bit better.

A good friend handed me the keys to his SRT-10 for a quick drive, and I was duly impressed. It does need the 3.55 rear change-out, but no question it is much improved design, especially handling and brakes.
Rather than pay the premium the coupe will no doubt come with, I will probably try to get a low miles 03 or 04 roadster in a year or two and get the hard top for track days.
90 percent of the coupe perfx (at least) and probably a third less cost.

MILES42

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" The Showdown in Motown 2005 "
I dont expect the SRT-10 Coupe to be shown at VIO8 just for the simple fact that Dodge might choose to display it at the Detroit 2005 auto show to steal Chevy's thunder with the introduction of C6 Z06 :smirk:
But if the Charger isnt being shown til next year, the 300C SRT-8 has been unveiled what else than the SRT-10 coupe would be shown at VIO8 ?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that you'll see a vehicle intro at VOI.8. I'm expecting the quad cab Ram SRT-10 and another SRT vehicle like the 300C SRT-8 or maybe even the ME 4-12 prototype.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I am still in debate, but most likely I will be tending to wait until April’07 and get the new coupe if it is more or less similar to the GTS/R concept. Does anyone remember if there was a waiting list when the GTS came out in ’96? Will I face the same issue when and if DC releases the coupe? I.e. paying MSRP? Yet in the meantime if I find a really good deal on a red ACR with grey stripes, I might jump on it. The issue for me is I only have room for one in my garage and I want to make the right choice. If I get the ACR, I know myself that a while later I will want to get the new coupe because it is better (this happened to me with my ’92 C4). On the other hand, I want to ensure that no unforeseen circumstances will force me to sell the new coupe after I get it which will cause me to loose big time. When my friend saw the picture of the concept he recommended I wait and get it and then park it wherever I want, parking or no parking allowed. Here in Ottawa, Canada it’s rare to see a Viper on a daily basis. Is anyone planning to ask the DC executives at VOI08 concerning their plans for the coupe? If not, would some mind asking on my behalf? :confused:

i have never felt the desire to sell my year 2001 viper GTS-ACR in order to upgrade to a newer version viper, etc. i can understand why you think that you will be tempted to sell you viper once you buy it and move onto the newer version of viper. why? because i too have owned 3 corvettes before i owned the the year 2004 ZO6 i own now. corvettes have a way of leaving something to be desired. but a viper is a completely different animal. once you get a viper you will know the definition of contentment and satisfaction. the desire to upgrade should pass. i will say this about my vette though, i am most satisfied with the one i have now compared to all the vettes that came before it that i owned. i think that part of this is because i own a viper, though. the viper has managed to satisfy my car bug in a certain way that no other car ever has. the cars that i am interested in now are like: fords new gt and shelby's new GR-1. no matter which version of viper you choose i am sure that you will be fullfilled in a way that a corvette could never do. but by the same token my vette satisfys me in a way that my viper does not either, so.................. its good to have both :rolleyes:

to sum it up the viper-acr has satisfied my race car bug. the vette satisfies my daily driver bug.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In terms of performance, the SRT coupe (if built) should run circles around the GTS. While I would never give up my GTS, I would definitely consider the SRT coupe if I had the cash.