Add my 14 GTS to the Heart attack list.

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the weekend the weather was just too good to not take out the car and stretch it's legs. After about a 30 mile cruise I started to head home. Loving every minute in the car, I proceeded to give it a little 0 to 60 romp. With launch control activated I proceeded to make a pass onto the local highway. She never made it to even 40 mph. Engine is KIA. Towed to dealership with word this morning that the engine needs to be replaced. Those of you taking notes it is a 2014 GTS with 570 miles on it.
First time in my 15 years of Viper ownership that I have had a issue of this magnitude. Too bad I couldn't get it over to Chuck Tator. No idea what I am going to do next. I already have a 1 of 1 car being built. And this one was going to be sold after I took possession of my new one. I know Dodge will do the right thing just ***** that I am sure my summer driving time is at least cut in half......

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
every time I get close to pulling the trigger in a gen5. I see a thread like this.

Its amazing. The engines, trans and clutches in the Gen1-3 cars were ABSOLUTELY bullet proof (in stock form). Some Gen4's lost engines (much higher percentage than 1-3's) but nothing too concerning. Still a very low percentage.

But these Gen5 cars... Between engines and clutches being burnt out. This car has never seen a failure rate anywere near this, in prior years

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you can just get it bought back...

My concern would be. how about these ultra low mileage cars, that fail after the warranty time period is over?? (many 13's are out of warranty in 12 months) could you imagine? Its gotta be $25k between R&R labor, rebuild cost. Not to mentioned diminished value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thats ridiculous, did they say what in the engine failed?
I think they are waiting for a zone rep or engineer to come out. But the pan is full of metal. Dealership even commented on how new the car looks. The rubber castings still on tires etc.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are waiting for a zone rep or engineer to come out. But the pan is full of metal. Dealership even commented on how new the car looks. The rubber castings still on tires etc.

Sounds like you threw a rod. On the plus side it's going to be covered under warranty.

every time I get close to pulling the trigger in a gen5. I see a thread like this.

Its amazing. The engines, trans and clutches in the Gen1-3 cars were ABSOLUTELY bullet proof (in stock form). Some Gen4's lost engines (much higher percentage than 1-3's) but nothing too concerning. Still a very low percentage.

But these Gen5 cars... Between engines and clutches being burnt out. This car has never seen a failure rate anywere near this, in prior years

Really? You make it sound like it's every other viper that's having catastrophic failure. First time I'm hearing something like this, and my gen 5 has been running flawlessly since I took delivery. You only see threads like this when there's a problem. Rarely, if ever, does anyone post a thread to remind everyone that their car is running well.

How many other people have had catastrophic engine failure in their gen 5s? Just curious.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you threw a rod. On the plus side it's going to be covered under warranty.

Really? You make it sound like it's every other viper that's having catastrophic failure. First time I'm hearing something like this, and my gen 5 has been running flawlessly since I took delivery. You only see threads like this when there's a problem. Rarely, if ever, does anyone post a thread to remind everyone that their car is running well.

How many other people have had catastrophic engine failure in their gen 5s? Just curious.

Every car built whether its a dodge or honda have had problems here and there with out any exceptions....I do not own a Gen 5 but reviews are fantastic....**** happens and in this case probably an ISIS member slipped into the production line....

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car built wheather its a dodge or honda have had problems here and there with out any exceptions.QUOTE]

I am aware.... what I was simply saying is, the ratio of Gen5 units failing, is significantly higher than previous Gen Vipers. But yes, its still a low figure.

I'd almost worry MORE about buying a brand new one, with single digit mileage.

With a pre owned one, with a few thousand miles.(that the oil has been monitored closely) Its past the danger zone.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news, hopefully this gets resolved to your satisfaction quickly. If the failure rate is higher than normal, it's hard to believe considering how much dyno testing, etc is done prior to engines going in the car.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just bought back one that did the same thing, might be an option for you.

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry man.

I do WOT all the time in my Viper (2013 Gen V)

I have to say that these engines are much stouter than anyone thinks.

I've got 94,400 miles on my 2005 SRT10. Hard miles. It's a truck. My 8.3L is lugging around 5700lbs of curb weight.

When I first got it I kept noticing the oil pressure light coming on when coming to a red light. Over and over this happened. Then a thought occurred to me... well if the oil pressure is dropping to ZERO when I am coming to a light there must not be much oil in the pan....

Sure as **** I check the oil and the dipstick is BONE DRY. I had been driving the truck for over 500 miles with 1 quart of oil in the pan.... at least that is what drained out. (yes I am a ******* for not checking it sooner, but I thought it might have been a sensor problem because the truck ran so well) I filled with new oil- ran the truck for 100 miles and then changed it again.

That was 33,000 miles ago. Still has great compression, pulls hard and doesn't leak. I cannot think of how the oil level got that low but it did.

IMO... these engines are very well made, very well crafted. There is no other explanation how an engine with 10+ quart oil capacity can run and drive fine- maintain normal PSI under load/idle- and not explode with 1 quart of oil running through it.

Again, I am sorry that you won't be able to enjoy you're Viper. It would break my heart if that happened to mine.

Last edited:

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every car built wheather its a dodge or honda have had problems here and there with out any exceptions.QUOTE]

I am aware.... what I was simply saying is, the ratio of Gen5 units failing, is significantly higher than previous Gen Vipers. But yes, its still a low figure.

With a pre owned one, with a few thousand miles.(that the oil has been monitored closely) Its past the danger zone.

I am in the same boat you are. I am so close to pulling the trigger then hear a story like this. Unreal. Even with a few thousand miles, I have heard of engine failures...I want to buy a used one but so worried after the warranty runs out + resale value.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car built whether its a dodge or honda have had problems here and there with out any exceptions....I do not own a Gen 5 but reviews are fantastic....**** happens and in this case probably an ISIS member slipped into the production line....

Yes I know, which is my point. I don't think that there's a widespread epidemic of Gen 5 motors blowing up or otherwise dying. They're machines and they're hand-built, so it's only natural that a few are going to fail. I think we're more likely to find ISIS members working for the now-nationalized GM under obama's "jobs for jihadists" initiative.

Don't worry just get one. You won't be disappointed. Even the standard warranty will carry you safely past the danger zone.

I am in the same boat you are. I am so close to pulling the trigger then hear a story like this. Unreal. Even with a few thousand miles, I have heard of engine failures...I want to buy a used one but so worried after the warranty runs out + resale value.

You won't have much of a resale issue if you buy a used one because the biggest value hit comes to the first owner. As for the warranty, you may be able to get an extended warranty thru your insurer or a third party. I have geico, which offers warranty coverage for 5-yrs or 60K miles. You pay for it as part of your premium.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. How much does a typical extended warranty run on these cars? And how long is the manufacturer standard power train warranty? And what is considered past the danger zone? I am looking at a 2014 with 2200 miles.

orlanderlv

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You either can't buy or really don't want a new Viper. Engine issues are few and far between and for every Viper owner who has had troubles there are another 500 whom have had no problems at all. Dodge has a good warranty program with the Vipers (not Cadillac good, but good none the less).

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. How much does a typical extended warranty run on these cars? And how long is the manufacturer standard power train warranty? And what is considered past the danger zone? I am looking at a 2014 with 2200 miles.

give me a call some time i have a dealership and have Vehicle one warranty which is owned by Ally Financial may be i can help you out with pricing. 856 405 6899 office

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2013 GTS is running well....

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my car I also got the Chrysler extended warranty. An additional 5 years and 60k bumper to bumper coverage for a little over 2 grand. That is a STEAL if you ask me. I couldn't even find a warranty company that would cover a Viper other than the Chrysler warranty.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I got my car I also got the Chrysler extended warranty. An additional 5 years and 60k bumper to bumper coverage for a little over 2 grand. That is a STEAL if you ask me. I couldn't even find a warranty company that would cover a Viper other than the Chrysler warranty.

That's great! - so you have 4 years from Dodge standard warranty plus another 5 up till how many miles? I forgot what the standard dodge warranty is...

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great! - so you have 4 years from Dodge standard warranty plus another 5 up till how many miles? I forgot what the standard dodge warranty is...

I think the standard warranty is 3yr/36k
I'm covered until 2020 and 60k miles.

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That powertrain is longer right? That would cover anything major like an engine failure?

I presume so. I got the Viper manuals but they are on DVD and have yet to read them.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Factory standard bumper to bumper is 3 years / 36K miles. Not 100% sure but I think the powertrain is 5 years / 60K miles.

My warranty lasts for as long as I own the car and was about $3K. It's directly thru chrysler and not some third party warranty company. Not sure if they offer this option anymore, but the price you pay is negotiable. The dealer was asking something like $4,200 at first but agreed to $3K after some bank-and-forth...which isn't bad for a bumper-to-bumper warranty on a car like the Viper.

There is no established "danger zone". The vast majority of gen 5 vipers are running just fine whether you mainly drive them on the street or push them ******* a track. If you do the latter, keep an eye on the oil. That's about it.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your engine issues--very strange.

My '14 GTS is running great at 3900mi. I check the oil often it does not appear to burn a drop.

As to the Warranties: I though Chrysler Maxicare 7 year warranty was the maximum warranty? I have this with a $0 deductible. This is 7 years from the in-service date of your Viper. I believe the factory powertrain warranty is actually 100,000 mi., but I forget the years.

Good luck with your fix.

TRH1962

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's just crazy! I have a 2013 in which I purchased it new last October. It currently has 1600 miles on it and haven't had one issue with it. Now I'm going to head out and check my oil and do it more often now. Best of luck in getting yours back in a timely manner.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you can just get it bought back...

My concern would be. how about these ultra low mileage cars, that fail after the warranty time period is over?? (many 13's are out of warranty in 12 months) could you imagine? Its gotta be $25k between R&R labor, rebuild cost. Not to mentioned diminished value.
Uh no. Powertrain if 5 years / 100,000 miles. You can extend it to 7 (maybe even 8) years.

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely true. The dealership transferred the ownership of my GTS from the 1st owner to me immediately on purchase, and Chrysler has already sent me the R14 recall notice for my car. The warranty coverage is the same here in Canada. If anything in the powertrain fails between now and July 9th, 2018, (July 9th, 2013, was original purchase date), I'm covered. This was a very important consideration during the purchase process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper