Alpine radio problems

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did a search, turned up nothing...But hoping there might be a common problem.
2000 GTS. Today I went out for a cruise, and the stereo started acting up. First time ever. It would lose ALL power (like the fuse blew), then after 10 minutes or so it would come back on. When it comes back on, you can hear the CD tray cycling like when you apply power when new. It kept doing this. My guess is maybe the plug going into the radio is loose, or there is a bad ground somewhere (anyone know where the ground is). Or maybe something inside the Alpine unit is bad....anyone selling there stock Alpine?

Any feedback will be appreciated, Ill probably take it out tomorrow after work.

Thanks,Lyle

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a search, turned up nothing...But hoping there might be a common problem.
2000 GTS. Today I went out for a cruise, and the stereo started acting up. First time ever. It would lose ALL power (like the fuse blew), then after 10 minutes or so it would come back on. When it comes back on, you can hear the CD tray cycling like when you apply power when new. It kept doing this. My guess is maybe the plug going into the radio is loose, or there is a bad ground somewhere (anyone know where the ground is). Or maybe something inside the Alpine unit is bad....anyone selling there stock Alpine?

Any feedback will be appreciated, Ill probably take it out tomorrow after work.

Thanks,Lyle

I've got an '01 GTS that I'm starting to think would look better with an upgraded head unit. I'll send you the old one for free. Yes, sounds ridiculous right. No, I'm just a nice guy. Have not done it yet though, so this is in the near future. PM me your email address and I'll let you know my progress. And you can keep me appraised of your status.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got an '01 GTS that I'm starting to think would look better with an upgraded head unit. I'll send you the old one for free. Yes, sounds ridiculous right. No, I'm just a nice guy. Have not done it yet though, so this is in the near future. PM me your email address and I'll let you know my progress. And you can keep me appraised of your status.
Dave,
Thanks, I PMed you. I would like to try yours to see if that is indeed my problem. Please keep me posted.
Lyle

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can it be the amp? The amp doesn't affect the CD tray nor can it turn the power off. If it was the amp all the symptoms would be in the speakers. Sounds like a bad head unit.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How can it be the amp? The amp doesn't affect the CD tray nor can it turn the power off. If it was the amp all the symptoms would be in the speakers. Sounds like a bad head unit.

I didnt think it could be the amp, but Chuck seemed to know, so I figured maybe the head unit pulled its power from the amp. I dunno. I think Im going to need to get a repair manual for this car.

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did some checking, the plug was ok, and the power supply for the amp and head are different- 30A for the amp, 7.5 for the head, and both ok. Looks as if GTSnake is right.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These Alpine stock units are junk. Get yourself a nice aftermarket one along with a new amp. It will sound infinitely better. Even an aftermarket Alpine HU would be better. The only thing you would sacrifice is the speed volume feature on the stock HU.