anyone else have this door surround problem

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I was giving the snake its first good detail job today, and noticed a rather large(half dollar size) bubble on the right side door surround. The bubble is located right at the quarter panel bend behind the lower door latch.I looked the car over pretty well before I purchased it, and I dont remember the bubble being there. Any ideas on what could cause this problem?
I plan on putting covers over the surrounds anyway but need to figgure out a way to get the bubble down so they fit properly. Any ideas that you guys may have would be helpful thanks.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely result of excessive exhaust heat or/and improper bonding. That area is glued down and suseptable to debonding under excessive heat.

Check the inner sill in front of the rear wheels and make sure the metal encased insulation is flat and blocking the problem area. I've seen where during sill install the insulation in that area get bent thereby leaving the sill directly exposed to the exhaust heat.

Dealers have been known to replace the hockey stick surround but depending on the skills could butcher it.