Are your header gaskets UPSIDE DOWN also ?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removed my standard headers today in prep for fitting my new system. The header to head exhaust gaskets were fitted UPSIDE DOWN. They looked as if they were correct before removal as the strip joining the gaskets was lined up with the strip joining the flanges, ie at the bottom. However on removal I found that the straight part of the D in the gasket was at the top of the port thereby blocking off the top 3/16" or so of the D shaped port. This blockage has got to be robbing the motor of horsepower. Same on both sides. How many others have this problem and maybe don't know. Is it a batch of faulty gaskets or is it just mine. I know that DCUK fitted a different catback system when they owned my car but to the best of my knowledge the headers are standard as it came from the factory.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it just the European Vipers? After all, you guys do drive on the wrong side of the road
smile.gif
But seriously mine were on correct maybe yours were just a fluke or were replaced after it left the factory by a not so good Viper tech.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've said it before and i'll say it again.....just because they only make about 1,500 vipers a year doesn't mean they're all immune to poor workmanship. i've heard of a few new vipers with some pretty poor workmanship. the rear trans seal on mine was bad. should've seen the puddle on my garage floor the day after i bought it. there's no way that shouldn't have been noticed...at the assembly plant or the dealership i picked it up from. believe it or not....those upside down gaskets might just be the reason for some of those 5 to 20 hp differences between exact cars. guess i'll have to have my gaskets inspected also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte