Automobile Magazine: Viper = "Supercar"

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automobile Magazine: Viper = \"Supercar\"

Was sitting at the barber's today reading the latest Automobile magazine (cool barber). I noticed that they had a readers poll posted that encouraged readers to vote for their favorite cars in certain catagories. Heck, if you want to vote online, just pop in your e-mail addy and vote here .

What is interesting is that the SRT-10 is NOT listed with the "sports cars". Nope, your sports cars include such badges as the Corvette, Mustang, S2000, and Miata. Instead, the SRT is grouped in with the "supercars", including Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, and the Saleen S7. Sure, sure, the SRT just doesn't have the same visual impact as the Gen I/II. I would be the first to agree with that. However, I still think it is a good thing that the Viper has come into its own, now being recognized as a world class "exotic". While price may play a small factor, I don't think it thrust previous Vipers into that category. I suspect it has to do with the vastly improved brakes, incredible skid pad numbers (1.15g) and the refinement of the car as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I would take the looks of the GTS any day. But you can't help but be proud of the improved status of the SRT, not to mention the overall performance.

Just my 2¢!

Chris

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Re: Automobile Magazine: Viper = \"Supercar\"

My .02 worth is that the VIPER GenII GTS was recognized as a SUPERCAR EXOTIC already due to it's dominate hissssssstory making world race record and it's stunning good looks. Neither of which does the SRT yet have.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Was sitting at the barber's today reading the latest Automobile magazine (cool barber). I noticed that they had a readers poll posted that encouraged readers to vote for their favorite cars in certain catagories. Heck, if you want to vote online, just pop in your e-mail addy and vote here .

What is interesting is that the SRT-10 is NOT listed with the "sports cars". Nope, your sports cars include such badges as the Corvette, Mustang, S2000, and Miata. Instead, the SRT is grouped in with the "supercars", including Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, and the Saleen S7. Sure, sure, the SRT just doesn't have the same visual impact as the Gen I/II. I would be the first to agree with that. However, I still think it is a good thing that the Viper has come into its own, now being recognized as a world class "exotic". While price may play a small factor, I don't think it thrust previous Vipers into that category. I suspect it has to do with the vastly improved brakes, incredible skid pad numbers (1.15g) and the refinement of the car as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I would take the looks of the GTS any day. But you can't help but be proud of the improved status of the SRT, not to mention the overall performance.

Just my 2¢!

Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I love telling people my opinion.
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I mentioned in my post, I personally think the GTS is a better looking car. That said, it was not always grouped with the "exotics". Indeed, look at your comparisons from years past: Corvette, Mustang, Corvette, Corvette, etc. The Viper was generally being compared to one of these cars. Now, before you say, "That is because they are domestic nameplates", realize that most of the SRT reviews compare it to the Porsche GT2 and the Ferrari's. That is NOT to say it is as good a car, but simply that it has been raised a notch in the world of potential competitors. Have you ever seen the Gen I/Gen II grouped with Ferrari's and Lamborghini's while the Corvette and Mustang share an entirely different category - not based on price? Me neither.

Again, the GTS wins hands down on looks (IMHO). But stock-for-stock, the SRT will outperform it in every single category. No "guesswork" - absolute fact. It is difficult to say if the SRT or Comp Coupe will see the backing similar to the Oreca cars of days past. Right now your race records are being set by the factory-backed Corvettes. Interestingly enough, this same issue of Automobile magazine says that the Racing Car of the Year is none other than the Corvette C5-R.

I am not trying to pick out fights or dis the Gen I/II in the slightest. I thought that maybe SOMEBODY would take pride in the Viper nameplate and the fact that it seems to be getting the recognition it has always deserved. While it is certainly dear to our hearts, it is nice to see the "exotic" nature of the car finally put into print. Sorry if I ticked anybody off.

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine