B&M shifter woes! POS quality control!

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my transmission replaced under warranty last week. While doing the swap, My tech put in a brand new B&M ripper shifter, which bolted up fine and dandy. I get a call from him a couple hours later telling me the tranny is bolted up to the car but the shifter won't shift into the forward gears. I immediately head down to the shop to find that the shifter is in a wierd position, and will only shift into 2nd, 4th, and 6th. I initially figgure that the tech must've bolted the shifter on incorrectly.. well he pulls the shifter out and we practice bolting it onto the old tranny he just pulled. Well, It bolts up fine but the same problem with the shift pattern. It turns out the geniuses at B&M assembly plant put this thing together backwards. We had to dissasemble the shifter, turn the shift lever 180 degrees and reassemble. Earlier when i called B&M tech support, their answer was "sorry never heard of that problem". Very lame! Poor QC cost me an extra couple hundred bucks. :( For the normal joe who adds a ripper shifter, this wouldn't affect you as bad since you'd install from the top of the car, but in my case, it was ugly because we were installing it already mounted on the new transmission.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&M's consistently break on Supra's... I wonder if the same holds true for the Viper version?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Roadkill,

Sorry to hear about your woes, but hopefully you'll love the new shifter. I installed the ripper about 3 months ago and have LOVED shifting ever since! Achilles, B&M made a change in design about a year ago as there were some reports about the shifter breaking - I haven't heard of any breaking since.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned 2 cars with B&M's (Vette and Viper) Broke em both where the horizontal shaft mated to the vertical one.

Nice design.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadkill,

Sorry to hear about your woes, but hopefully you'll love the new shifter. I installed the ripper about 3 months ago and have LOVED shifting ever since! Achilles, B&M made a change in design about a year ago as there were some reports about the shifter breaking - I haven't heard of any breaking since.

What did you like so much about them? I've thought about getting one, but never have.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
BigCarrot,

My old stock shifter was BRUTAL compared to the B&M. There's no more guessing what gear you're going for and the feel is perfect with nice crisp shifts.

I did the dreaded 3-2 by mistake once and I believe is was largely due to my old shifter.

Wasnt too hard to install and in my opinion was well worth the $239 (inc shipping) from unlimited speed on Ebay.

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hated it on my Z06 and Viper, but like the one on my Porsche. I don't shift it like the other cars though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456