Battery

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed an Optima last week. 75/35 (red top)is the size and purchased over the net for $95 free shipping and had it in 3 days. :)

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been going with Mopar from Chuck. One was bad, other is so far so good. No bouncing around, pretty well stable back there. All warranty, no cost.

AC

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with the suggestion by Dan Cragin of DC Performance to go with the AC Delco or Interstate battery, they’ve had good experience with these batteries.
Previous Post

I went for the AC Delco since I’ve had good luck with them in the past on my other vehicles. So far, so good. This is what I have:

AC Delco: Part #75-6YR, 650 CCA, 90 RC, which has the same specs as my original
Mopar Battery: Part #4763996AC, Catalog #78-60
, 650 CCA, 90 min RC.
Here’s a side by side comparison, the AC Delco battery is about 1” shorter in length, but width and height is the same:
375Batteries_001.jpg

375Batteries_002.jpg

Comes with a removable carrying handle too.

I didn’t go with the Optima Red Top because I thought I might have some clearance issues with their dual-posts, mainly with their top posts touching the frame. I did a search on the Optimas and I found that some have shaved the top posts too far down which then resulted in the battery going dead. Once you’ve done any "modification" to the battery, this would then void the warranty. Others have used a bottle jack to stretch the tray for more clearance. Yet many have just replaced it without clearance issues. I measured mine and it would only give me only 1/4" of top clearance for the Optima. That seems a bit close for me.

The Odyssey battery is another sealed "dry cell" technology. But only a few sizes available, no mounting base for the bottom hold-down bracket (the battery is all smooth), and you would have to use a custom bracket to hold it down. Too much hassle.

By the way, on the original Mopar battery, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PRY OPEN THE CAPS!!! I tore the seams prying them open and there is not a hook or tab to lock it back into place, at least as far as I can tell. Take a look closely to see what I mean... :mad:
375Battery_Cap_Non-removable.jpg

Yes, dummy me, I know it says "Maintenance Free," but I was fooled thinking those caps were removable. I only wanted to check the battery acid level since I noticed some acid spilling onto my garage floor after a spirited drive. I know I could have just epoxy’d it back into place, but I didn’t want to take any chances of any more acid spilling and the battery going dead, so I went out and bought a new battery. $90 for the AC Delco battery at the Chevy dealer.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Optima fit fine in my 95. I put a chunk of heater hose on the + post just to be safe. Do not screw around with the AC Delco sealed battery. I researched them a little on the Vette boards and they were have lots of problems with them.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you put the optima in make sure you have it positioned to the passenger rear position so that you make contact with the thermal sensor that controls over-charge.

I also put in the red-top optima and it fit fine. I took out the Mopar because of the leakage. There is another issue with the optima. Some chargers have a problem with the dry technology. I recently saw that "Battery Tender" came out with a charger that works 100% of the time when charging the dry technology batteries.

I installed mine and ran it for several weeks and noticed that with the engine not running the voltage was 11.3 volts. I put a battery tender on it and it would not charge the battery. I removed/replaced the leads several times and finally the tender started charging. This same problem happened with a fellow VCA member. He finally took the battery out. The battery is working fine now and is holding a charge.

Reaction score
The Optima Battery will NOT fit all batteries. The Battery tray location varies from car to car. In some cars the Optima will hit the frame and the only to make it fit is to cut the post-Bad Solution. The connection to the side post are made via the top post, cutting the top post can cause total battery failure, a Hot Spot next to your fuel tank or work fine depending on how much material is cut. And the warranty is void with a cut top post. Optima is a nice battery but not a fit on all cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang