Buying my first Viper, gen 2

Babgerbeerman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, my neighbor has a gen 2 Viper. I have been talking to him for the last couple of years about selling it. It does have high miles, 92k plus. Interior is ok, no seat rips, carpet is worn, small trim pieces loose etc. I have driven it, and its a blast. My wife and I have taken it on a few small rides. He does let me drive it since he isn't.

The car does need work, power steering is leaking, I suspect its a steering gear so I would replace that and the pump with the upgraded bracket. Tires are dry rotted bad. I would love to upgrade to ACR wheels. It does have aftermarket exhaust, he doesn't know what kind buts its LOUD! Pain is ok, needs a really good buff.

I want to turn it into a one of none ACR RT/10 roadster. With Autoform roolbar,ACR wheels shocks seat belts for over the shoulder, and poss autocross it.

Any ideas what else I need to look for on it? Clutch is good, no chatter, no fluid leaks other than power steering, engine,trans or rear end noise etc.

I have restored cars in the past and have always wanted a Viper and I am hoping to get this car and do a lot of the work on it myself

Last edited:

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. I'm like you, I got mine with 86K miles so I could enjoy it. I had to do the radiator and tires on mine. The radiators have a tendency to swell and start leaking. Viper specific parts have Viper tax so keep that in mind when you go to do something. I had to replace the speed sensor in mine. I thought it would be a $30 part max, but turned out it was $200+. That and the $600 Radiator was my first taste of Viper tax.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sounds like youre pretty much on the right track,
other than the 998 recall i cant really think of anything
specific that you dont already know about.

Also, (since youre new) there was one factory RT/10/ACR
produced in 2001, but i like where your mind is at. JonB
and Don Scharf can help you source the rare ACR bits to
help you out, but be warned, they will not come cheap.

Good luck, posts some pics when you get it sorted!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21