Corvette Prototypes in Monterey, CA

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm staying in Monterey for a mini-vacation, and going to Skip Barber with the NorCal VCA at Laguna Seca this Saturday. So I pull into the Portola Hotel in my Red 97 GTS w/white stripes, and the valet mistakens me for being with a "car" convention at the hotel, and signals me to park next to a brand spaking new Vette C6! :eek:

All of a sudden the C6 becomes invisible and all eyes are on the Viper.... nothing but oohs and aaahs and pointing. The "convention" was for GM, and they had their Caddy sedan line there along with the C6 and some old vette prototypes. Needless to say, the look on the GM rep's faces were priceless! :D

Anyways... here are some pics of my Viper in Monterey and some nifty old vette prototypes at the GM TED (Technology Entertainment Design) conference. Enjoy!

http://www.coolbus.org/monterey/

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Nice pics - although seeing your snake along the coast is depressing for us "Hibernating Viper" guys. Can only hope that spring is just around the corner.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice how similar the rt/10 is to the Sting Ray 3? That could have been the hottest vette ever. Makes you wonder why they went for the c5 look. Wind tunnel design takes so much passion out of a car.

Jeff

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice how similar the rt/10 is to the Sting Ray 3? That could have been the hottest vette ever. Makes you wonder why they went for the c5 look. Wind tunnel design takes so much passion out of a car.

Jeff
Back to the Vette board for you...

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool looking rides, thanks for posting! The Monterey area is one of my favorite places to visit. It's also a great place to take viper pics! :cool:

Who makes those wheels on your Viper?

You must be registered for see images

2827carmel006s1.jpg

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]Back to the Vette board for you...

[/QUOTE]

OUCH! Did I say I liked it??? I mean... Uh.. It's so stupid.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'll say I always liked the Sting Ray III, and agree that it was a mistake that GM went with the C5 design over the more aggressive concept design, I also liked the Aero Vette, and those other concept cars shown there. :D

Just because I like other cars and their styling doesn't take a single thing away from the Viper (which I also dreamed of owning for years).

It's gotta dig into the GM guys though seeing a GTS Viper stealing the thunder away from the new C6 Z06. I like the styling of the new car, but it's too close to the regular Corvette to make it really stand out. :eek:

As opposed to the Viper, which stops traffic with it's aggressive styling and graceful, flowing lines. And the red with white stripes and custom wheels definitely add to the eye catching nature of the car. :headbang:

Thanks for the pictures and great story. :2tu:

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'll say I always liked the Sting Ray III, and agree that it was a mistake that GM went with the C5 design over the more aggressive concept design, I also liked the Aero Vette, and those other concept cars shown there. :D

Just because I like other cars and their styling doesn't take a single thing away from the Viper (which I also dreamed of owning for years).

It's gotta dig into the GM guys though seeing a GTS Viper stealing the thunder away from the new C6 Z06. I like the styling of the new car, but it's too close to the regular Corvette to make it really stand out. :eek:

As opposed to the Viper, which stops traffic with it's aggressive styling and graceful, flowing lines. And the red with white stripes and custom wheels definitely add to the eye catching nature of the car. :headbang:

Thanks for the pictures and great story. :2tu:

No Z06 there, just a C6 ragtop, but the effect would have been the same. It was funny seeing all of the GM employees trying their best not to oogle in front of their bosses... lots of staring through corner of eyes! Everytime I had the valet pull up the viper or when I came back, you can sense the GM guys cringe. :laugh:

The vette guy in charge of the prototypes was very nice, and I tried to pick his brain about the Z06, but he wasn't biting. The newest looking vette there was an '87 design. The rear does look a bit like the rt10. The mako vette was really bad@$$, and the one with gullwing doors had a wierd 2 piece, split windshield. Love to see that in a rainstorm. ;)

The wheels are by Technomagnesio... as the name implies, they're magnesium. I've always been partial to a more chromed (bling) wheels, but I get a lot of compliments on these, so I'll keep em. :2tu:

...unless someone has some mint 18in. HRE's they want to trade

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool looking rides, thanks for posting! The Monterey area is one of my favorite places to visit. It's also a great place to take viper pics! :cool:

Who makes those wheels on your Viper?

You must be registered for see images

2827carmel006s1.jpg

Let me start an old war... I think stripes just look sooo much more kick@$$ than no stripes. :headbang:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302