crackle sound from the speakers only at idle

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a good one:

what would be the possible culprit causing a crackle sound from the speakers only at idle?

turn the car off & the crackle sound goes away with the same song playing

turn the stereo off with the car running & the crackle sound goes away

drive the car & pass idle, the crackle sound goes away

replaced the speakers with aftermarket ones, crackle sound is still there

replaced the deck, crackle sound is still there

amp? ground to the amp? ground to the deck?

its making me nuts

my fix right now is to hit the gas :shocked:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably the sparkplug wires. My Mopar replacement wires do this as they are low resistance wires. Stock wires and other higher resistacne wires don't cause it.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caspar is right if not a good supression wire. Also need resistor spark plugs. :2tu:

Also unplug the alternator then start it up. An alt on its last legs can do the same thing. trash ripple in alternator

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I now have this exact problem. I spent $$ on new alpine speakers today thinking that the others were blown. Has anyone come up with the cause of this for sure?

I am running stock champion plugs with 8.5 mm MSD wires. Any solution short of getting different wires?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine did the same thing...front door speakers went out after that

but I think that was because I had the stereo cranked ;)

I ended up putting an aftermarket system in after that

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Did it fix the problem?? I am thinking about trying to insulate the coil packs somehow, I was thinking they are really close to the stereo receiver.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did it fix the problem?? I am thinking about trying to insulate the coil packs somehow, I was thinking they are really close to the stereo receiver.

yehp totally.

I didn't take it apart and diagnose the problem, I knew I was going to change out the stereo anyway because I wanted an xm system with sub/amp

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m new to Vipers but there are most likely two issues to cause the noise you are hearing. One as mentioned, being spark plug wires that are different from the stock ones. The other is a bad ground to your stereo system. The second one could be anywhere between your stereo and/or amp.

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

First I just want to say that I'm completely aware that I'm resurrecting an old, old thread - hell, George W, was still in office when this bad boy was posted. I am rescusitating this thread for a reason however and that is I am experiencing a very similar problem as the OP. It seems that when the tach is floating between 600 RPM (idle) and 1,000 RPM (cruising / accelerating slowly / decelerating slowly) the small driver-side speaker crackles. If the engine is off and my stereo is on, there's no crackle, and if I'm driving at a speed such that my engine speed is above the aforementioned range, there is no crackle.

Now, my car is a '97 GTS (purchased from the original owner in March 2012) with an aftermarket Alpine head unit and Focal Audio speakers (installed by the original owner) and the blue Mopar spark plug wires. The above posters seem to think the problem could rest with the plugs and wires, specifically a set of wires with a particular resistance, and my question is: given that I'm looking to change my plugs and wires, does anyone here have a recommendation as to a set of plugs and wires that might rectify this problem?

Thanks for reading this novel of a post and insights are much appreciated,
Johnny

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had no issues with Mopar wires or wires with one of vendors here :Qualitywires.com http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/261-Sponsoring-Vendor-Reviews You can trust that his wires are top notch and fit the Viper V10. The other thing that you should check is if the black cowl cover at the bottom of the windshield is grounded. At least on a 2002 there is a braided wire that is supposed to be under one of the mounting screws, the second from the left on my 2002. You have to reach up under there to feel if it is connected. I believe it goes back to the bulkhead and also goes somewhere else under there from the bulkhead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456