Cruise Saturday, March 08

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kelly and I are trying to get an informal cruise together for Saturday and perhaps lunch to follow. We'll probably be running in the area west of Fairfax and Leesburg.

Anyone interested in joining in?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh......In! :D

We're gonna try out a route that Ken did with the F-Cars awhile back. It includes a portion of the drive we did on the Fall Cruise, but is just a bit longer. If it's good, we'll use this route for the June 28th Cruise.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested, only I don't think I will have my car back together in time.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a rain forecast for Friday night, and snow possible out here in the west = a no for me. The forecast for Saturday is similar, but with less of a chance for precipitation.

OP
OP
D

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I originanlly proposed this, the forecast for Saturday looked good. Now it's 50% chance of rain but Sunday is looking good, if a little on the cool side.

If the group would prefer to schedule this for Sunday that's fine by me.

I talked to NSRENDR - Joe. He is on his way to Puerto Rico and a Caribbean cruise this week.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we still have to contend with the possibility of cold weather, perhaps someone can set up a driving event at the indoor carting facility in Sterling. I believe they run special pricing packages on Sundays.

???

OP
OP
D

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since we still have to contend with the possibility of cold weather, perhaps someone can set up a driving event at the indoor carting facility in Sterling. I believe they run special pricing packages on Sundays.

???

I would be up for a karting adventrue, but to REAL MEN, the cold doesn't matter. Here's my cruise report.

Great time yesterday even if only 3 Vipers and a Supra made the drive. The course is a blast and the club will no doubt have a lot of fun when we repeat it for the official NOVA cruise next month.

There are two good zones of twisties. Last fall we drove past Mount Weather and I thought that was great fun. This course repeats that but also adds an even better twisty run through cow country near Middleberg.

You guys that chickened out because of the temps, you missed it. Rob Perez and I did it top down with heaters blowing full blast. Jack Frost can't compete with Viper Heat. It was warm in the car even if it was cold when we stopped and got out of the cars.

Kelly and I did a short swap and traded cars. There's a loop at Chantilly Auto Park and we did several laps. It was kind of a NASCAR experience because it was all left-handers. I really enjoyed Kelly's ACR, my first time getting to drive a Gen II. And Kelly got to experience taking his life in to his hands as he slid sideways through a couple of turns on my very slick run-craps. That was Kelly's first experience driving a Gen III and hopefully he won't hold that against me and the whole Gen.

Rob and Matt got to see what my drifter tires are really good for as we were leaving Benihanas. I did a drifting 360 with Rob and his car at the center point. I can't decide whether those tires are fun as all get out or dangerous beyond driving.

I hope the rest of you slugs come on out next time.

And I hearby, officially, and forever more apologize to the Bean for calling him, Mr. Yugo-too-slow. Him going too slow was never a problem yesterday and there was once I was afraid to keep up with him...which is not to imply that he was speeding or breaking any laws in any way, shape or form. Ummm...err...yeah, the entire cruise was run with total respect for the law. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smirk:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I hearby, officially, and forever more apologize to the Bean for calling him, Mr. Yugo-too-slow. Him going too slow was never a problem yesterday and there was once I was afraid to keep up with him...which is not to imply that he was speeding or breaking any laws in any way, shape or form. Ummm...err...yeah, the entire cruise was run with total respect for the law. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smirk:

LOL...I never saw my speedometer go over 55....the rest of the time my eyes were glued to the road!!!! :headbang::headbang::rolaugh::rolaugh:

This was a GREAT cruise despite the chilly weather. A great group to go out with too, even the crazy Supra owner and his rocking-chair side-kick. ;)

I think we kept the speeds pretty reasonable, especially considering that the new stretch none of us have ever driven before. Those twisties were fun weren't they? Kudos to Ken for getting hold of this route from the F-car guys, it's definitely a keeper. I loved Rob's response when we stopped after the first stretch..."Let's do it again!!!" :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

And I was able to get all the distances on the odometer down to the 1/10th of a mile, so we'll have accurate mileage counts when we do this again.

Wish I could have hung around after lunch to see the antics. Work had other plans for me though.

Greg, sorry you missed the drive, but sounds like it was for good cause.