Disrespecting the Viper

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thought this would be in it's own thread by now:

The Future of Viper- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

n 2008, Dodge sold 1172 Vipers; in 2009, only 659. Prior to that, close to 2000 Vipers were rolling off dealer lots per year. Over 25,000 of these venomous sports cars have been sold since Dodge introduced it in 1992, making the Viper a success, at least until last year’s dismal performance.

Things actually started going downhill in 2008 when it was announced that the Viper brand was for sale. Within a year Chrysler went bankrupt and then a deal was struck with Fiat that saved Chrysler and, strangely, also the Viper. A quick succession of management changes seems to have worked in the Viper’s favor. In June of 2009, Fiat chief Sergio Marchionne was appointed CEO of Chrysler Group. The next month came news that not only was Viper no longer for sale, but that Ralph Gilles, Chrysler’s vice president of product design (and a known Viper fanatic) would be the new CEO of Dodge Cars and be directly responsible for the Viper. He extended production of the 2010 model as far as it could go, which was this past June, because in July it would have to become a 2011 model. While there won’t be a 2011 model, we have reason to believe we’ll see a concept for a new Viper sometime in 2012, destined for production the following year.

The next Viper will use the same 8.4-liter V-10 making 600 horsepower. There’s nothing wrong with this, especially since the pushrod engine is apparently capable, with reasonable modification, of meeting emissions requirements up to 2018. The simple addition of direct injection could see power output rise to 700 bhp. Ilmor Marine sells the engine in 650-bhp and 725-bhp configurations, built at the Viper factory. Interestingly, Ilmor is still selling the engine even though the Viper plant is closed. Could it be the Ilmor folks know that Viper production will start up again before they run out of engines? It’s a safe bet they do.

Believe it or not, the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was destined to be the next Viper’s kissing cousin. Although those plans have since been scrapped, the manual transaxle and longer wheelbase developed in the process will likely be kept for the next-generation Viper, which would help with heat management, interior space and finally allow the driver’s seat, steering wheel and pedals to all line up.

The steel frame and general construction of the Viper will remain basically the same, as it’s already very light and strong. It’s also possible a less-powerful V-8 version would be created as a stepping-stone to the Viper—think Chrysler Firepower concept. Apparently Dodge engineers have even talked to Ferrari about performance stability control and how to improve the car’s steering feel.

But rest assured, the next Viper will not be a Ferrari—Gilles is too much of a Viper fanatic to allow that. The car is guaranteed to have a true manual gearbox and a real off button for the stability control. It will be significantly better than the current version, yet still retain the brutish nature that only serious car enthusiasts revel in. The Viper saga is not over. It’s just on hold.

You must be registered for see images attach

hopefully will look better in person

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^After watching the video now for the 200th time, you actually get that feeling!! They are almost tired and frustrated to say that the Viper won yet another catagory of their tests. They are almost bored with the victories and want some other vehicle to win!

I too was disappointed with the ending after watching the Viper chew up and spit out the competition. As the previous owner of a 2003 Z06, I can honestly say that my GTS is hands down a more capable, more viceral, totally more freaking fun to drive car than the Vette ever was! Couple that with the rarity and you will always have a hands down winner.

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need not a magazine to tell me my car is great.

I just laugh when I see the way the rags are written. "Viper wins in every performance test, but we'd buy the 'Vette. Why? Because we're into blending in, cupholders and traction control." They can have all the love in the world for their flavor of the week/weak, but park anything outside of a Lambo, Ferrari or FGT next to my car and it disappears. Line up next to my car and it definitely disappears :D. I don't need an idiot with an English degree and a chip on his shoulder to validate my passion and my car.

Amen brother!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol just got back from E-Town on a mag test involving the new Shelby 500 this past week.I absolutely crack up on some of these threads esp when people suggest that the editors get paid something extra to report favorable results (gotta show that post to Evan ).Guys please its a JOB to these guys .Every day one car after another

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I couldn't care any less what a magazine review says about the Viper. But, it does help sell cars to those on the fence.

Having said that, their opinion is probably swayed by trying to represent the majority of their readers. I would bet that most of us would agree that the majority shopping the American high performance two seater market would say that the Corvette is the best compromise solution for their needs (versus desires). That's why there are a gazillion Corvettes on the street and why we love being Viper owners.
Exactly their opinions are formulated over a BROAD BROAD criteria not simply by the car that has the best performance numbers for the money.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another solution would be the magazine editor/writer asking one of you individuals to participate with compensation provided. Go to where they need you with your Viper, YOU drive YOUR Viper, you go home. I'm sure the owners here that really know how to drive their cars would make any of these *rival* cars look slow.

-Steve
Viper owners are often invited to bring their cars to participate in these tests (many do ).As far as compensation never going to happen .If marketing does not provide a test car the editor may opt to go to a private source if he wants a certain make ,model included.(They are not going to pay that private source though as the test will go on with or without and in 3 months the mag will be on the shelves )

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best Magazine for comaprisons to the Viper is "Viper Magazine". Often the various and many Viper, Viper compe coupe, ACR and ACRX are listed with pics. The magazine finds that there are NO cars that are comparable, so no fake 'tests'.

I remember an article titled Track Car Tests of Streetcars and the Viper wins every track test, but comes in 4th because of the cup holders and ESC. Obviously it was mistitled, or miswritten.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ownership of a car makes people take things personally not objectively .Magazine test drivers,writers,editors ect travel hundereds of thousands of miles per year going car to car (as i replyied before its a job to them )

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol just got back from E-Town on a mag test involving the new Shelby 500 this past week.I absolutely crack up on some of these threads esp when people suggest that the editors get paid something extra to report favorable results (gotta show that post to Evan ).Guys please its a JOB to these guys .Every day one car after another

I believe that this is a job for most, BUT let's not be naive here. To proclaim that Magazine Editors have not and will not in the future be influenced by manufacturers is borderline ridiculous. That's like saying Toyota doesn't have US polititians bought and paid for. Money buys people, the US government is a shining example of this, and Magazine Editors can and will be influenced by manufacturers. As you should know advertising dollars trump 100% honesty in the end.

Though I do agree with your comment, that vehicle owners tend be be passionate about their particular car and only see through rose color lenses.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my job I am influenced countless times per day. Every job is the same: policeman, accountant, gas station attendant. It might be as subtle as a smile and a pretty leg. Or some dude chatting you up about your car--totally not related to business, right? But business decisions are made on a wide variety of issues, possibly the LEAST of which is what makes the best business sense. Every businessman here knows what I am talking about. So don't for a second imagine the car magazine guys are objective just because its their job. They are human beings with human vices and frailties. And with millions of dollars on the line, the car manufacturers would be stupid not to market those opportunities. Assuming they are neutral is like assuming politicans are in it for the greater good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang