Engine and Tranny swap from 06 Viper into 2000 Viper

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just positing a question?

How easy would it be to fit a 2006 SRT Viper engine and tranny into a 2000 Viper RT/10?
What work would be involved? (I am assuming the clearences are the same)
How much custom fab work would need to be done? (say to engine accessories)

And lastly, has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
Uzy

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can make anything fit, i haven't heard of it, I'm sure the clearances & dimensions someone will post

BUT

for the money you could build a better motor

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The increase in performance wouldn't be very worthwhile. Get a supercharger and save the hassle. Or save both the hassle and money and get headers, rockers, exhaust and VEC2 to get more HP.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be easier to add Gen III heads to your Gen II block (you'll have to switch to aftermarket headers). That will give you the significant benefits of the new motor without all the hassle. :p

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I will get flamed but I would wait till a Gen IV motor actually does come out. If there actually is NA 600-650hp, the swap would be very worthwhile. This is assuming you already have a 2000 Viper. If you want to buy a new Viper, now is the best time for a deal.

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to revive this thread. I have a 1996 RT10 with 50k miles. I plan on putting a lot more miles on it, I love it too much to let it sit in the garage. When the engine goes, I was thinking about dropping the new(gen4?) engine/trans into it. Personally I like the looks of the 96 the best, I'd just like to have the power of the newer ones. My decision is between the engine swap, or supercharger+x+y+z. Questions

1. California(hippy) emissions. I've heard that you won't have a problem if you're putting a new motor in an older car since emissions get more strict as time goes on. I've also heard that mods regularly cause headaches when going for a smog check. They're really picky about this in California and won't let you register it if it doesn't pass - I've heard they'll even make you remove mods in order to make it pass smog.

2. Reliability. I love the reliability/maintainability of it as-is and would rather have 600hp without mods than 600hp after tons of mods. This is my only car so I'd rather not have it in the shop every month. Is this reasonable/realistic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that your main problem would be to wire in the hewer Venom controller and supporting wiring. The Gen 4 trans is also necessary and I believe that needs the trans tunnel frame on the pass. side at the firewall to be modified for a few inches (search Gen4 trans into Gen2).

Too much wiring for my taste. You could mod with Nitrous and no emmissions problems. Headers, exhaust, airbox, smooth tubes, etc. are all OK. Call the VCA Vendors in California and ask them what mods are OK for Cal. There are quite a few quick cars in Cal.

Instal a Roe supercharger and register it in Nevada? Gotta hate those ****** states? Getting parts approved for Cal. isn't a cheap process.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery