Evan Smith sets ET and MPH record for stock domestic cars in 2008 Viper Roadster

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be rocket science but the average Joe aint gonna touch the times and mph an experienced 1/4 miler period. Thats why the experienced guys have the best chance of getting an 08 in the 10's. 1/4 miling is more than just banging gears and mashing the gas. If it was simple we would have many 10's already as 1bad mentioned.

As for track prep E-town has some of the best track prep and would be better than regular street. As mentioned it will take a combination of track, weather, car and driver to make this happen. That alone tells you it will be difficult for anyone much less Joe average to accomplish a 10 sec pass in an 08. We all know the car is capable of it as quite a few owners have gotten 129mph, which is 10 sec territory. Good luck with the Racelogic but not many will recognize that as official.

Extremely well put.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grant over the year the car has been out there HAVE been many many times (thru the various VCA Club events ect at private track rentals) that 08s have been run over and over again down the quarter mile and not one 10 second pass.? Grant there are SLIGHT differences between obtaining a 10 second pass on a Race Logic and at Santioned Track namely timing accuracy and most of all a way to authenticate the road surface your running on is LEVEL.
The Racelogic units (PerformanceBox or DriftBox) record elevation as well, so its simple to look at a run file and see if the surface is flat. There are a few roads around where I live that are both grippier and more flat than the local track (Gainesville Raceway), and you can make a run going both ways to cancel out the wind. During launch and the 1-2 shift, I typically see longitudinal accel of about .05 to .1 gee higher on a good street surface than our track. I'm sure track prep is absolutely key to setting records. I've never driven on a well-prepped track, but if prep can get a Viper to hook up in 40 degree weather, then its got to make a huge difference.

The bad thing about the Racelogic units is that they don't display any times or speeds past the tenth decimal place (i.e., 2.0 and not 2.04) unless you download the data to a laptop. As far as accuracy goes, some magazines (and Edmunds) use them for lap timing in some of their tests. I won't try to set any "official records" or anything like that, but just see what the car will do under real conditions.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford has Englishtown (Evan thinks Oct 9 )providing they are not testing a heavy duty prototype Evan will usually allow me to bring a guest (as long as the guest is deaf ,dumb and blind in ALL aspects of ANYTHING that goes on there that does not concern a 2008 Dodge Viper.)If there are any NJ VCA officials (Bob Carrol , would be great at this )who would like to come along as my guest and inturn publically authenticate that my car is totally stock ect please call me asap at 732-977-7244 thanks Joe.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow, Jamie a 11.59 in a genII viper????

good driving man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would guees he could get 10's in a stock 08 with this resume, stock 08 with DR's...maybe even a 10.6!!!!!
Wow !!!

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS If all else fails maybe i can drag Joe Houss ex Vca National President (forever known to the magazine guys as THE JUNK MAIL KING )over there.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, Jamie a 11.59 in a genII viper????

good driving man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would guees he could get 10's in a stock 08 with this resume, stock 08 with DR's...maybe even a 10.6!!!!!
Wow !!!
After approx 550 hp to the tire( running stock pilots )traction totally gives way to horsepower.Back in 2001 i was at the track test of Dan Blacks DLM Viper.Smith tried all day and the best he could get was approx 10.7 at around 140 mph on Pilots.That car made over 800 horsepower and mph wise should be low 9s but there was absolutely no traction at all.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In accordinance with the following i guess the published record Evan Smith set in the GEN 2 Roadster(as well as his numerious other production car records) mean squat as well.As mentioned previously MANY people including site sponser Daren Buhler and ex VCA NAT PRES Joe Houss personally know my car and inturn will verify the car is totally stock.You are more than welcome to give them a call to verify all of the above.

I didn't mean that the way you took it......

I take your word the car is stock but your "stock run" is no better than any other stock 2008 run just because it was magazine verified, published or whatever. I'll take a 10.99 stock run unpublished over a 11.3? published any day ;)

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't mean that the way you took it......

I take your word the car is stock but your "stock run" is no better than any other stock 2008 run just because it was magazine verified, published or whatever. I'll take a 10.99 stock run unpublished over a 11.3? published any day ;)
No problem -totally understandable.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone in Florida want to bring an 08 to the Viper race in Bradenton/December. The track should be well prepped and I have seen 300' below sea level there. :D

With any "stock" car you have to have bit of faith or know the owner for it to be believable. I would not rate Evans passes in this car any more "on the up and up" as many other cars passes. Magazine verified means squat as far as saying it is above other attempts.
Someone mentioned alignment (front AND rear)....hard to check and is that stock or not ??

I am coming down to race with Jason Heffner on the 12th so I will be there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang