Failed windshield wiper motor?

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper ('96 RT/10) out the other day to warm it up as it has been sitting for almost two months and it started to rain. When I turned on the wipers the passenger side went slower and appeared to be struggling. This caused them to get out of time and the blades got tangled. Has anyone ever had this happen? I haven't pulled the motor yet but I'm wondering if it could be the linkage? The car has just turned over 20K and the wipers probably haven't been turned on for over 9 months at least. Thanks, MGH

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The only thing I have heard about them is, that the contacts to allow one wiper to move are located on the opposite motor, so that one motor has to finish its cycle, before the opposite side wiper can begin its cycle. That keeps them from crashing. They did this because the long V10 block prevented installation of the typical mechanical wiper linkage between both wiper blades, driven by a single motor. So they used two motors, driving each wiper blade individually, one on each side of the car, and sequenced their overlapping motion electrically. When one side wiper motor has completed its cycle, lets say the drivers side, the contacts close, and this allows the passenger side motor to start its cycle. When its back "home", its contacts close, and the other side begins again. Clever, no?

Maybe one or more of these contacts is dirty? Can you open up the opposite side from the slow one and inspect it? (On the fast side)

Its counterintuitive, but thats the contact(s) that powers the slow one.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The position sensor on the side that is working right has failed.The side that is struggling is tring to keep up with what it thinks is right based on the message from the other motor.So replace the wiper motor that seems to be working right.

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark:

Just an FYI, the same thing happened to my 96' so when you go hunting for a new motor don't get one made for the viper, the tax is insane $480.00 My tech and I did a search and the caravan rear hatch motor (unsure what years) is the exact same part for only $120.00. But here's the hitch, you can't do a crossreference b/c the part numbers do not match in your dealers database and it will not come up as a matching part. It took us a while to discover this but we were able to beat DC at their own game. Good Luck.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark:

Just an FYI, the same thing happened to my 96' so when you go hunting for a new motor don't get one made for the viper, the tax is insane $480.00 My tech and I did a search and the caravan rear hatch motor (unsure what years) is the exact same part for only $120.00. But here's the hitch, you can't do a crossreference b/c the part numbers do not match in your dealers database and it will not come up as a matching part. It took us a while to discover this but we were able to beat DC at their own game. Good Luck.

Call Chuck Tator. He's really good at knowing what crosses over and what doesn't

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, ALL,
I had the same problem, and it appeared to be the right (passenger) side motor. I replaced it with a used (known working) motor, and it did not fix the problem. So I also am looking for a solution. Is the left motor (driver side) the controlling motor that tells the right one when to start, and/or is there a separate "controller" box, if you will, that does the synchronization ??
At the time this happened, it was raining and I removed the passenger side wiper blade to keep them from getting all crossed up.

Thanks for the help.
Oh, mine also a '96 RT/10 - is this unique?

Later,

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hen one side wiper motor has completed its cycle, lets say the drivers side, the contacts close, and this allows the passenger side motor to start its cycle. When its back "home", its contacts close, and the other side begins again. Clever, no?
Clever? Not!

To quote someone else from this forum, he called it a "spastic dance". :D Somehow, that phrase always pops in my mind when I think of Vipers.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem on my 1996 RT... at around 30K miles. Luckily it was still under warranty... but the fix was to replace the driver's side motor. I bought two new motors for the future........

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful with replacing their wiper motor with a rear caravan motor and if so do you have the part number or year that will work?

I have seen two separate people say that it will work but also two people questioning whether it lacks the electronics to control the secondary motor.

Thanks,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See my post above.
I subsequently (last week)got a Driver side motor, replaced it, and it did NOT solve the problem. My service manual describes a wiper motor control module located in the passenger floor. Anyone had experience with replacing it and solving the problem? I now have 4 motors (2 left, 2 right), and no combination seems to work. I had some rain last year, and took the passenger side off and used only the driver side to see to get home. Worked at best, poor,

Later,

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a windshield wiper? I never heard of them being used on a Viper. :p

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be what you are talking about.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;rd=1&rd=1

See my post above.
I subsequently (last week)got a Driver side motor, replaced it, and it did NOT solve the problem. My service manual describes a wiper motor control module located in the passenger floor. Anyone had experience with replacing it and solving the problem? I now have 4 motors (2 left, 2 right), and no combination seems to work. I had some rain last year, and took the passenger side off and used only the driver side to see to get home. Worked at best, poor,

Later,

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned my car for nearly 3 years. I honestly don't believe I have ever attempted to turn the wipers on. Not even to test them.. guess I should

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Vic said is true. This happened to my 96 as well with only 2500 miles on it. There were no adjustments to make. The solution was two new motors.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, a friend came over with his '96 RT/10, and we swapped out his wiper control module and put it in my car - DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM; oh, yes his wipers work properly.
We have almost concluded that the switch is faulty as we jiggled it and pushed and pulled, and the wiper reaction varied.

Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE,
Ok, I have performed all the wiring and voltage tests as described in the Service Manual, Section 8K, pages 4-7.
Both motors run smoothly in high and low when power applied (with connector disconnected).
All Contineuity checks between control module and each motor connector (says wiring harness is OK between control module and motor plugs).
Again, as stated above, another control module was substituted and still no change.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, my inclination now is the switch in the steering column, even though when turned to high and low positions, voltage is supplied to the motor connectors, as per the tests described in the Service Manual.

Later,

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Don,
Besides the column switch, you also have the intermittent wiper control box; did you check that out? You can jumper it directly at that point and bypass the wiper stalk switch. If the wipers work correctly when you jumper it, then you can test out the switch; otherwise, try swapping the intermittent module with your friend.
I have an old Jeep with wiper issues (the layout is pretty similar). What I found was that when the intermittent modules went, they basically defaulted to a no-op condition (i.e. just no intermittent wipers). The wiper switch, on the other hand, gets gunked up with grease that runs from the t/s cancelling mechanism (located right above/in front of it), making it work erratically. It's a minor PITA to replace; you'll need some special tools for the ignition lock plate, and adjusting the ignition switch and pushrods has to be done while you are upside down and buried in the footwell.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE:

OK, ALL FIXED:

After all I went through, I found out that I had 3 bad motors, and 1 borrowed bad motor. NO COMBINATION of those motors would work. I finally gave up and borrowed a PAIR of working motors off a car. And, no combination of the working motors with the bad motors would work; only with themselves. So, I bought (used) a pair of known working motors, and all is fixed.

Later,

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a viper wiper control module. It is a black box about 3" by 4" and it is in the passenger compt. under the dash.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SYNFULL,
Yes, I know, we swapped that out with a friends car, and it made no difference, so concluded mine was good, which it was/is with now working motors.