Ferrari 355, options, need help.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What is this world coming to, when you log on to Viper Club and we are talking about Italian cars. But here goes. A good buddy called me tonight asking for some insight into buying a performance car. He took a look at the srt-10 and just didn't like how he felt in it (he is 6'4) and yes, I told him about the seat lowering kits. Anyway, he really has his heart set on a Ferrari 355. He has tried to help me before in my pursuit of performance vehicles, so I feel obligated to help him with his.

My question is this, and please only speak if you have knowledge:

355's were produced from 1994 to 1999 from what I can tell.
They had 3 versions GTB,GTS, and Spider (ok and Serie Fiorano, but that doesn't count, only 100 made)

Does anyone have knowledge about what years are the best, which ones had issues, perhaps insight into ownership ?

My thoughts behind this are simple, I am thinking the Ferraris MIGHT have a history kind of like the Viper: 1996-1997 Strongest Gen II motors produced, 1996-1999 Best Cam Shaft years, 1996-1999 Forged Pistons, 1999 First Year of the ACR, 2000 Start of the Creme Puffs (my personal opinion the least desirable year as it has no forged pistons and no ABS), 2001-2002 ABS only years for Gen II.

See what I am looking for ??

Jon

PS. I didnt say the 2000 comment to get anyone mad, I am looking for that kind of insight IF it exists on the Ferrari 355 model line up. But from what I can tell they used the same motor through all the years.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx gave me a great rundown of the Ferrari lineup... I'm sure he could give you a 355 lesson, too. Here's an excerpt from one of our conversations:

Ok, quick Ferrari naming scheme rundown

Tipo = Type, usually the first thing in the name

Numbers = 308, 348, 512bbi, etc. All designate engine displacement/cylinders/other. This is the Tipo, or type. 308 translates to 3.0 litre 8 cylinder. 512 translated to 5 litre 12 cylinder. Most modern F-cars carry this engine name as their tipo (except for Enzo, or Dino..names of the Ferrari family). It's not always engine displacement, as the name can be derrived from other areas, such as racing curcits or crazy stuff like carb and cam types

Designation of body style = Next in the sequence. You see them as GTB, GTS, Spider. GTB stands for Grand Tourismo Berlinetta. A Berlinetta translates to "Solid top" basically, or a hard top car. GTS translates to Grand Tourismo Spyder. Spyder with a "Y" means Targa, or partial open roof. A Spider (with an I) means full convertable. Other things like 512BBi, the "i" translates to "Injected" meaning it's EFI (Bosch).

Special sub tipo = Things like /4 or names like Boxer, Modena, etc. /4 stands for 4 cam. A 365 GTB/4 is different from a 365 GTC/4. Both carry the 365 tipo, but one is a 2 seater berlina (You know it by it's common name of "Daytona" and the other is a larger, 4 seater touring version (but equaly beautiful)

So, let's review..

308 GTB is a 3.0 Litre hard top (Berlinetta)

512BB is a 5 litre 12 cyl Boxer (Engine type, flat) Berlinetta

512BBi is the same thing, only fuel injected (meaning 83+ in model year)

Testarossa as it's called is actually a 512 TR designation (Named that in it's last bit of run in the early 90s when they officially stoped calling it a "Testarossa" which means "Red Head". Name derrived from the 250TR race car, because of the red valve covers). Gave way to the 512M but the actually name for the TR was 512 Testarossa. It was the next evoloution of the 512BB

328 GTS means 3.2L (Quatrovalvole..4 valves per cylinder) targa. The evolution of the 308

348 GTS means 3.4L 8 cylinder targa (evolution of the 328). Same chassis as the 355, with less power and not as good build quality.

F355 GTS means it's a 3.55 litre engine (dropped the "8" designation in 95) and is a targa. Evolution of the 348, same chassis and many same body pannels. 100hp extra over the 348, power steering and some better build quality.

360 Modena is 3.6 litre 8 cylinder, the name Modena is the model name

360 Spider is a 3.6 litre 8 cylinder, full convertable.

550 Maranello... you guessed it... 5.5L 12

550 Barchetta (didn't cover this) is the very rare factory-made convertable
550's. Don't remember what the name translates to.

575M - 5.7L 12 Maranello (updated version of the 550, same car).

Hope that helps some. There are TONS of ferrari cars that I didn' cover, an I didn't go real in depth of with the linage. Started around the mid 70's till now Skipped things like the 288GT0/F40/F50 and the touring cars like the 456 and mondial.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice !! Thank you. My Poor google wasn't up to the task of finding me that sight !! I am over there posting as I type this !! Thanks again.

Also, I felt that if previous/current owners of the 355 were on Viper Club, they would be able to speak freely about their like/dislike of the car without fear of being lambaste by fellow owners. I notice if owners speak poorly of the viper here, we seem to rush in to offer up an excuse/correction to their view/opinion. Just a thought.

Again, thank you !!
Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx gave me a great rundown of the Ferrari lineup... I'm sure he could give you a 355 lesson, too. Here's an excerpt from one of our conversations:

Wow, thanks !! Good information. I will have to PM MadMaxx, seems like he knows a few things !! :eek: :2tu:

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this thread on Ferrari chat. I believe that many 95's had valve guide issues that are solved by pulling the engine and replacing them. The main issue with the 355's (as it is for the 360's) is that they are all underpowered! :laugh:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this thread on Ferrari chat. I believe that many 95's had valve guide issues that are solved by pulling the engine and replacing them. The main issue with the 355's (as it is for the 360's) is that they are all underpowered! :laugh:

NICE !! thats just what I was looking for. The Admin kinda got onto me with my post, all he had to do was point me in that direction !!

Yes, my buddy doesnt want nasty (aka viper) he wants civilized. I completely respect his choice, and would love to help him in his search !!

Again, PERFECT thread, thats what I was looking for thanks a mill !!

Jon

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars are great but beware that fixing it can cost a pretty penny. The services are where the most money gets spent. 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 etc. These can cost $5,000 or more. The best line I have heard about these cars is that "most cost between $2.00-$3.00 a mile to operate."

Also on about 20% of the 1995 F355 cars they were having a problem with the valve guides. Easily can be fixed with new ones but they should have been replaced by now.

Hope this helps

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I am very active in the Ferrari Club.

You mentioned that your friend is tall. Most Ferraris are not great for large people. You will need to try one on for size.

You are asking about 355s. Prior to 1996 they used very soft valve guides. MAJOR problem. These guides did not last. I believe they were made of bronze.

So an early car will need full head work. Exhaust valves run about $250 each! Two exhaust valves per barrel and you have $4000 just in exhaust valves!

Most of this work is done with a major service tune up = Motor removal, $3000 labor.

It's no problem spending $25,000 for head repairs.

Most any major work will require motor removal. Major tuneups are about $8,000.

The other thing to look for is exhaust manifolds. Not if they will break, but when they will break. They all do. Manifolds are $5,000 + $3,000 install.

You just need to be aware that service is expensive. Many people can afford a Ferrari. 308s can be found for $25k. Most people can NOT afford to service a Ferrari. The rule on ownership is to have $15k cash available for service or major repairs, otherwise you might have an expensive car that is collecting dust should something happen.

My name is not Enzo, I am not a certified Ferrari mechanic, and I might be wrong on all points...but I doubt it.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry,

I have been reviewing the ferrarichat.com web site, that jcaspar1 pointed to me, it has been most informative. You information seems to echo many of the posts I read, so your probably not wrong. Prices seem a bit high, but still on par from what others are saying.

Thanks F355,
I assume your user name means you have owned or do own such a car ? Thanks for your insight, yes, some of my first words coming out of my mouth to my friend were "cost of maintenance is excessive"

Thanks to the Family !! Appeciate all the input !!

Jon

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it funny that you're buying this crazy expensive sports car and then have to worry about all this maintenance crap.... You would think spending 100+++ thousand dollars would at least get you a somewhat reliable car. Porsche can do it, DC can do it, Ford can do it (GT), Chevy can do it (Z06). Even the newer Lambo's are claiming reliability with the Audi input - only time will tell on this one...

Seriously, Ferrari should be ashamed of itself. If you really break it down, they build gorgeous cars that are pieces of sh*t. I used to LOVE Ferrari's, and still LOVE looking at them, but I buy cars to drive.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just love the valve guide business. I have a '95 355, which has had no issues at all. No oil consumption, no smoke, it just runs and drives great. It has no power compared to a Viper, though.

Ask someone to tell you what SYMPTOMS of valve guide problems they had other than a mechanic saying they need to be replaced. I have yet to hear anyone first-hand having problems with valve guides causing any performance or reliability problems.

This is sort of like the crap that every GENI Viper needs head gaskets. Complete hooey, as my GENI with tons of track time in Texas heat never had any coolant leaks or head gasket problems.

Be careful of what you "learn" on the web. A few vocal complaints somehow become pervasive problems.

I would, however, not consider a car that has not had its engine-out cam belt service, or reduce the price accordingly (at least $5K). All of these cars are now old enough that mileage or time (30K or 5yrs) dictates cam belts. Some will say it is not necessary, but the factory recommends it and a broken cam belt can destroy the engine.

At 6'4" I doubt your friend will fit in a 355. I am an optimistic 6' and I just barely fit.

PS, the '95 cars have a bit more power due to pre-OBDII control and dual air flow meters. Of course I am biased, but don't discount a nice '95.

jramey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a previous owner of a 348ts I can tell you ferrari's are not that unrealiable, I owned it for three years and drove it 12k miles and the only thing that broke was the altinator, which was If memory serves $950 for the part alone then install but it was covered under warranty,

The only reason I sold it was because I got trashed by a dodge viper so I thats what I bought,(even if its just a 2000). Ferraris are fun cars though and I might by another one soon, but not for speed, just for fun. and I will never part with the viper to do so!

John
2000 gts red/black

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it funny that you're buying this crazy expensive sports car and then have to worry about all this maintenance crap.... You would think spending 100+++ thousand dollars would at least get you a somewhat reliable car. Porsche can do it, DC can do it, Ford can do it (GT), Chevy can do it (Z06). Even the newer Lambo's are claiming reliability with the Audi input - only time will tell on this one...

Seriously, Ferrari should be ashamed of itself. If you really break it down, they build gorgeous cars that are pieces of sh*t. I used to LOVE Ferrari's, and still LOVE looking at them, but I buy cars to drive.

Get over the the one marque upsmanship, I have owned a ferrari for over 17 years, & they are far from POS. My car has well over 150k hard running miles & has never let me down. The ferrari are fragile mistique comes from owners who never drive them. The average ferrari has less than 10k miles on it & any complex piece of machinery lying dormant for 10 years will have problems. The specific output of most ferrari engines are incredibly high, so proper maintainace at the proper time is critical. Most people run into problems being posers & dont have the will or the wherewithal to properly maintain these cars. You want a POS , buy a lambo.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Ok.

Maybe my comments were a little harsh. Ok. Really harsh. And maybe I have been mislead. I have been wrong 'once' before. But 95% of the time I talk to someone about Ferrari, they say have a side bank account ready for maintenance & repairs. I just don't think you should design any vehicle that needs $5000+ timing belt changes and the like at 15K-30K miles (or whatever the schedule is). Even if nothing breaks, what does it cost to do NORMAL maintenance for a 355? Assuming your going to drive the car, let's say for 60,000 miles.

For me, that would be the golden question. For example, you want to own a 355 for 6 years, and put 10,000 miles a year on the car. For someone who likes to drive, I don't think this is unreasonable. OK Ferrari experts. Assuming NOTHING goes wrong, what will be the maintenance cost during this period? Exclude tires, but include brakes.

jramey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am not an expert but I think with the price of parts comes the problem if it was 50 bucks for break pads like on most american cars then it wouldnt be a big deal but you can pay $600+ for break pads on a ferrari, so I think one guy tells another one yea he spent $4000 for a new clutch it makes it sound real expensive to own one.

plus most ferraris do not have many miles(no one would think about doing this in a viper) on them so they have sat around for a long time and have problems. So things need to be replaced except with ferraris it's 5-10 times more expensive.

There are people with ferraris that have 100,000 miles on them and have had very little problems because they have kept them up. I think on a thread on ferrarichat one guy said with deprication it was cheaper to drive his ferrari than a new honda.

just my thought

john
2000 gts red/black

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello gents :)

So, I hear there is a question on prancing ponies that needs to be answered? I'll do my best.

A lot of good info has been covered here. I will post the 355 buyers guide scans from Forza in just a bit..it will help some too.

Thanks
MM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302