Gas smell

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, curious...evidence points to it possibly being gas. Have you tried BEANO?
laugh.gif

Just having fun with you. Very immature of me. I apologize.

Seriously though, my hunch is that it might be the gas cap. What kind of Viper? RT/10? If seal is bad or cap is loose, you are more likely to smell gasoline fumes in an RT/10. Check for tightness of cap. Have you tripped a check engine light?

I had a similar situation when my GTS was new. The gas cap wasn't the cause, but when I made a hard left then a hard right onto my street, I would get gasoline fumes when I parked. It eventually went away and it hasn't returned since.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GAS CAP!!
This happened, I hate to admit it, but you WILL smell gas.
I put the gas cap on the gas pump (RT/10) and was talking to people which always happens when fueling the Viper. Folded the rubber flap and closed the gas door and drove off. My wife said " I small gas", I said " I smell gas". Pulled over and checked, only to find NO GAS CAP; WE SMELLED GAS!! Headed back to the gas station and guess what, it was still there on the pump. Now, you may not be this forgetful, but the cap could be loose on not sealing properly.
BTW I now hand the cap to my wife when filling up.
Good luck.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of cap did you put on? Make sure the "bib" is not caught in the threads. Make sure you tighten the cap until it clicks. I've seen aftermarket and locking caps leak.dj

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4