Gen V Viper Top Gear Test Track

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool video. I can't wait to see what Stig can do with it in real life and what the guys from Top Gear UK have to say about it. Not that I value their opinion too much but it's going to be interesting to see how they try to find something wrong with it or if they can't how they will say something like: "Yeah America has finally made a good car and we are not talking about the Ford GT/GTx1. Now to be fair that car was made by fiat so in reality America can now make good European cars" or something stupid like that.

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy will do the usual liking the car for the first 5 minutes of his review only to crap on it for the finish.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
What Jeremy says is of no importance. He is not a journalist, rather, an entertainer.

Appeal to people's jealousy, insecurity, racism, etc, and you will sell a lot of ad space. That's the formula.
Truth has NOTHING to do with this. It's all about making money off the fanboys.

That's why he makes more money than me.

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Jeremy says is of no importance. He is not a journalist, rather, an entertainer.

Appeal to people's jealousy, insecurity, racism, etc, and you will sell a lot of ad space. That's the formula.

I completely agree. He actually has never bothered/offended me. I have always enjoyed watching his reviews. I can't wait to see what he says. I can almost assure you that he will really like the car and finish by saying that "the car lost its way and is not a Viper. A Viper is supposed to be hard to drive, trying to kill you, all while having a really bad interior and this car has none of that. Therefore, it is not really a Viper..."

Or something like that. I have seen him and Hammond take that approach before on a car review.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will still try to kill them, maybe a little more subtly with the nannies, but 600 lb-ft of torque is enough to put anybody in the hospital if they don't know how to use it properly.

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The very unfortunate thing is that many car manufacturers will listen to what Top Gear says and make some decisions because of it. Keonigsegg put a rear spoiler on their CCX because of Top Gear... McLaren changed their stability and traction control system because of what Jeremy said. Like it or not, he has literally millions of viewers and they listen to what he says. Sure he is an entertainer; however, 95% of those who watch Jeremy, James, and Richard... take what they say to heart. For those of us who are knowledgeable and can see through the BS... we know the truth. Back when Clarkson first reviewed the very first Viper he loved it for everything that it was (including the interior). Now that his show is about entertaining and not reviewing legitimately, he plays to his target (European) audience to gain ratings. That includes bashing anything American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMp_o9-0I_g

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
01viper4me-

You're so right, many people take his word for fact. How come they are so shallow? Don't they have any rational thought of their own? Could people be that obtuse?
(don't answer that!)

When I was over in merry old England, I picked up a copy of Top Gear magazine. They were bashing the Vette's leaf spring, without any solid factual evidence to support their assertion. They equated it to an ox cart, saying Europe had moved past leaf springs ages ago.

They completely missed the fact that the Vettes fiberglass leaf spring is securely fastened to the frame, runs cross ways, does not transmit forces from one side to the other, reduces unsprung weight, and in short bears no resemblance to an ox cart. Nor was it desinged by a fat man from Kentucky, swilling beer, who drives a pick-up truck and can't say "aluminium", or Jag-u-ar.

Nor did they mention that the All-American ZR1 has magnetorheological shocks so sophisticated, that they were sourced by Ferrari for the 599, and 458 Italia.

No "regular production car" made in England can beat the Viper on the Ring, neither the ZR1, or even the Z06. The Mclaren MP4-12C, (which I like, btw), "only" does a 7:28 on the Ring, which is slower than a GTR. (yes, they will make it faster, later) But they like to massage their frail egos, by latching on to some buzzword like "leafspring", then they jump all over misrepresenting it, and then they feel vindicated in being British, enjoying a brief respite from being uptight pricks on a bankrupt rock in the north atlantic locked into long dreary days of foul weather, eating blood pie with bad teeth. Bashing American stereo-types in the only fun they have, evidently, and they won't let the facts get in their way. (I'm of British ancestry myself, so I can throw rocks)

Nevermind that the ZR1, with it's supossedly antique "leafsprings" does a 7:19 on the Ring, far faster than their much-vaunted, oh-so-modern Mclaren "supercar". Not to mention the 7:12 of the Viper ACR. But I wouldn't want to have to blatantly mention that, because that would be uncouth of me, to resort to such ****** tactics of self-preservation. Being of noble blood, I'm above such coarse behavior.

VIPER ACR 7:12 <cough, cough>

VETTE ZR1 7:19 <cough, cough>

VETTE Z06 7:22 <cough, cough>

Mclaren MP4-12C 7:28. (Hooray!)

Last edited:

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01viper4me-

VIPER ACR 7:12 <cough, cough>

VETTE ZR1 7:19 <cough, cough>

VETTE Z06 7:22 <cough, cough>

Mclaren MP4-12C 7:28. (Hooray!)

What cracks me up is that For the past 15 years America has been given hell for not being able to take a turn and for not testing our cars around the Nurburgring. When we finally design our cars to rip through the corners like they are on rails and destroy them around their own track... they say our cars are poorly made and our interiors ****. Now we have the new Viper who will rip through the corners, and the interior looks like perfection. They will tell us that our engineers are idiots because we can't make more than 640hp out of 8 and half liters. They will never just love all cars for what they are. I love Ferrari's, Pagani's, Aston's, BMW's, Benz's, Audi's, and Lambo's for their own awesome details. Too bad Europeans don't feel the same.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the fastest actual Viper lap on the Top Gear UK track and which year car was last to run ? I couldn't find that...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They ran an SRT10 vert to a 1:28 secs but track was VERY WET. They have said there is as much as 5+ sec difference between a wet lap and dry lap on the Top Gear test track. So if you apply that it would be around a 1:23 or so on a dry run. They never ran a Viper during dry conditions. Check out the list. Its number 117.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/top_gear_track.html

If they ever ran an ACR around that track I think it would best the Gumpert Apollo and MP4-12. The Gumpert is much faster in the straights than the ACR yet it was just 1 sec faster than the ACR on the Ring. Not to mention the Gumpert is quite a bit lighter. We know what it did to the Mp4-12 on the ring lol. So on this tight Top Gear track it should be in the 1:16 or better range imho. But the idiots wont run an ACR because the front splitter is too low and cant go over a speed bump. Nonsense. Just an excuse to not have a production American car atop the power list I believe. They know what it would do.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that *****...

They ran an SRT10 vert to a 1:28 secs but track was VERY WET. They have said there is as much as 5+ sec difference between a wet lap and dry lap on the Top Gear test track. So if you apply that it would be around a 1:23 or so on a dry run. They never ran a Viper during dry conditions. Check out the list. Its number 117.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/top_gear_track.html

If they ever ran an ACR around that track I think it would best the Gumpert Apollo and MP4-12. The Gumpert is much faster in the straights than the ACR yet it was just 1 sec faster than the ACR on the Ring. Not to mention the Gumpert is quite a bit lighter. We know what it did to the Mp4-12 on the ring lol. So on this tight Top Gear track it should be in the 1:16 or better range imho. But the idiots wont run an ACR because the front splitter is too low and cant go over a speed bump. Nonsense. Just an excuse to not have a production American car atop the power list I believe. They know what it would do.