Gen1 "Alarm Set" light?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen1 \"Alarm Set\" light?

I have someone coming out this weekend to look over my '94, so I figure I should take care of any loose ends with the car. Mostly a matter of washing/waxing (easier said than done out here...), but there is one issue that needs to be addressed.
The "Alarm Set" light is permanently on. It wasn't when I first got the car, but sometime over the summer, it started blinking every once in a while, and is now permanently on. It doesn't seem to affect anything though; the car starts and runs just fine. At some previous point, an aftermarket alarm system was installed (nicely, from the looks of the wiring job), and I'm guessing that they must have partially disabled the alarm. I don't have the original Dodge remotes, but do have a set of Gen1 remotes I picked up somewhere along the line.
Is there a way to disable or reset the factory alarm (no, I don't consider pulling the bulb a reasonable solution... lol)? Maybe pulling some fuse, grounding some wiring, cycling the key, or some combination of the the above?
Also, is it possible that the alarm can prevent the PCM from getting scanned?
When I had the car on a dyno in the fall, the guy was unable to read codes from the PCM, and in looking at the shop manual last night, I see that the alarm is pretty tied into the PCM...
Any thoughts appreciated!

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gen1

Not the exact same situation, my alarm was acting up a while back, causing at least a stuck "alarm set" light, and at worst causing me to be locked out sometimes due to fuel cutoff not disengaging. I had to replace the Alarm PCM and the Entry Module. Got both parts from The Wizard for like $150 I think (don't quote me on that), and no problems since then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery