Gents, need some advice about tranny

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Posted the start of this question here once before. I need help, thought I would try again. I have a 1995 RT. My tranny is very difficult to put in reverse. Also, it sometimes pops out of third (I heard this was fairly common). Only one person replied to my post last time it was posted. He told me to rebuild the tranny as opposed to replacing it (to make the serial numbers match). I think that is good advice. I since went a Dodge dealer in Houston with a good Viper tech. He told me several interesting things.

The parts for the tranny are almost impossible to aquire since the tranny was not made by Dodge (it's from a separate joint venture company that will not sell parts). This company makes more money by replacing whole units. Even if parts were obtained, I would have a hard time finding someone to open and rebuild the tranny. My options are to replace the tranny or drive it (as it is). It will shif fine on all other gears. He also showed me how to get it in reverse. He said to put it in 1st, let the clutch out a little (to syncronize gears) and then put it in reverse. I have to hold the shifter in place until I hear a click. Then it stays in reverse. Kind of a pain.

My questions:

I'm sure someone has developed after market parts and figured out how to rebuild these transmissions. Am I right ?

If so, who can do the work near Houston ?

How much can I expect to pay to rebuild the tranny ?

How much can I expect to pay to replace it with a new/rebuilt one ?

Has anyone had this problem before ?

If so, have you driven it as-is for a long time without a problem (even though it's a pain) ?

I hope you can answer these questions and thank you (in advance) for any help you can provide.

Mannyg

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have several options,

1. You can rebuild the production transmission, the parts are available. You would want to have it completely rebuilt with all the later model upgrades, bearings and synchos. Expect to pay about $2000 for a top knotch complete overhaul.

2. Buy a late model used transmission, these can be had for about $1000. I have several in stock.

3. Purchase a new transmission. If you go through a direct Vendor with Tremec, or you can find a discount Dodge dealer,
you can find one for around $3200 or better.

4. Buy a modified SRT/10-Comp coupe transmission that has been modified to fit a early car (speed sensor). I can supply performance prepped, new SRT units that have been modified for early cars. You also may be able to get these from Vendors on this site.

Hope this helps,

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Dan. You are very helpful.

Option 1 sounds great.

I guess option 2 (a late model used tranny) may have the same problems I am now facing ? is this true ?

Is option 4 comparable to option 1 without the matching numbers ? How much for option 4 ?

Should I drive the car as-is until the reverse problem get's worse, or do you recommend I do the job now ? I'm about to change my original head gaskets.

Mannyg

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, are the transmissions REALLY serial numbered ? That seems a bit excessive, I know the engine is.. but the tranny too ?? lol, nex thing i knwo your going to say the diff too..

Just curious.

Jon

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, cheap option...

These are essentially the same T-56 as in Corvettes and Camaros, so someone that can rebuild those can rebuild a Viper T-56. There are parts differences, such as the spline count and maybe some pieces are stronger, but the disasembly and reassembly procedure is the same.

If you want to do it yourself, here is the service manual.
http://www.tremec.com.mx/catalogo/d-T-56-2.html The Dodge service manual also has info on the rebuild.

There are kits on eBay to rebuild T-56 transmissions for $186 so you get an idea of how much the minimum parts cost is. I think you get all the parts that normally wear, synchros and gaskets, etc.

Not getting into gear easily is probably a synchro problem, so that would be cured with the rebuild kit. Popping out of gear takes a little more investigating, but I would guess it's a synchronizer sleeve with worn internal teeth, or perhaps a misaligned/bent shift fork. You'll have to pay for these :(

In my case, it's my extra car, so I had the luxury of looking inside first. I pulled it apart, found all the synchro teeth on 2nd gear broken off, bought another broken T-56 for parts (picked the best from each) and put it back together. Admittedly it's not like new, but better than it was, and it shifted fine (until it broke.) This do-it-yourself project was only a few hundred bucks. Had I also gotten the rebuild kit, I'd be at maybe $600. If you pop for the used $1000 transmission, it costs another $100-$200 to ship it, so add that in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom is right there is nothing that special about the trans. I had the same problem you are experiencing and had it fixed for about $700. Plus I had him replace the aluminum forks. The cause of my problem was keeping pressure on the shifter all the time. After you shift allow the shifter to be loose in the hand or keep the hand off of it.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. I'll replace the head gaskets first (the more immediate and riskier problem). It looks like I'll keep driving it with the current tranny as-is. In a few months, I'll buy a used tranny and put in in my car (keeping the old one). I'll play with the old one to learn how to rebuild it.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Mannyg

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom

I was reading the link to the tranny manual you provided. Under troubleshooting the manual says that if it's hard to get into reverse (only), it is probably a seized backup switch.

Does anyone know what is a backup switch ? Is it something simple to get at (and replace), or do you have to pull the tranny out (and break it open) ?

Mannyg

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
manny..the back up switch is the reverse lite switch on the tranny...it gets pressed by the internals...and turns on the reverse lites...it could be sticking and causing you to not get all the way into reverse...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny, as txlen says, it's a push-button switch. Part of the internal linkage pushes on the plunger to turn on the back up lights. It screws into the transmission case from the outside and can be replaced, probably a $25 item. I can't recall where it is right now, (I think on the passenger side, up halfway?) so don't know whether you have to take off the belly plate under the transmission or if it's below fluid level (get you wet.) But it's easy to do, only need regular tools.

OP
OP
M

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little switch mounted on the outside of the tranny case ? It can't be that simple. I can't be that lucky. I'll take my snake to the Dealer on Wednesday and check it out. Thanks guys. This forum is worth it's weight in gold. :)

Mannyg

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know this post is outdated, but does anyone have the manual they can send me? I mya look at rebuilding my tranny at some point and the link doesnt work anymore!.........

BTW, anyone know what Mannys final fix was? my reverse is a bit hard to get in to also.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have it in PDF format, but can't find it. I do have it in hard copy which I will take to work tomorrow and PDF for you.

Anyone who want's a copy just shoot me an email.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry, trying to shortcut.
T.V.C. had an offroad excursion, and I'm trying to help him figure out why his reverse doesn't work.