Group buy on Valentine 1 radar detectors?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont need it yet in CA because CA doesnt use laser (not approved yet). I can't wait for CA to change from KA to Laser. The day they do, ill have 0 worries. right now when KA goes off, i need to slow down.
I know for a fact that laser is in use in CA. We even got a nice demo of a laser unit from a Santa Clara city motor officer before a recent Viper Club meeting (he was sitting out front of the restaurant where we meet). They're in use in many local cities - though I don't know if the CHP is using them, which may be what you are referring to; but a city ticket is pretty much the same as a CHP ticket as far as insurance goes.

As far as the effectiveness of laser countermeasures - good luck; I've yet to see a reputable test indicate you are immune to laser speed measurement systems with any of the existing countermeasure systems. Since most laser countermeasures are legal, some do indeed seem to reduce the effectiveness of the laser in some instances (unlike radar jamming, which is against FCC regs, laser jamming is still legal until they start legislating light a lot closer). Yet, if the officer aims at a headlight or a front license plate, most countermeasures are useless or only slightly effective.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But in the Highlands there are NO premanent speed cameras (at least that was the case a couple of years ago). I'm more concerned about 'Robby the Bobby' in this patrol car and speed gun. Any ideas...

like nearly all dectectors if your hit by laser your normally screwed, its to late to react and jump on the brakes, most say your only chance is if the car infront takes a laser hit and the V1 then hopefully picks up the signal and gives you a chance to slow.

I've met Robby the Bobby, had a few lasers hits and have got away with it as I wasnt speeding luckily at the time

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jon, the k40 is a front and rear mount system. it works under the same principal of the valentine one but the sensors are mounted on the front & rear bumpers with the brain in the cockpit.

the only advantage of the k40 over the valentine is the better laser detection.

BUT if you live in a state that uses laser heavily, you need a diffuser system NOT a detector if your hit with laser its already too late you have a ticket, there is only one diffuser system worth a hoot. its Blinder from www.blinder.net http://www.blinder.net/m_twin.html this system gives you 100% evasion from laser. I dont need it yet in CA because CA doesnt use laser (not approved yet). I can't wait for CA to change from KA to Laser. The day they do, ill have 0 worries. right now when KA goes off, i need to slow down.

in conclusion, k40 is = to the valentine but it requires a more complicated install & the only advantage to me is the more accurate laser detection which is useless anyway.

I seem to recall reading good things about the Blinder initially, then further information later on seemed to indicate the basic Blinder system was not good (2 versus 3 position or some such), but the upgraded version was good. Also seem to recall reading good things about another laser system, but don't recall the name. Some of this reading probably was on radartest.com.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calif has banned suction cup mountings

LOL

I love the whole california scene but man, it has some of the most idiotic laws made by some of the most idiotic people. ...California, the police state.

Sorry for my rant
You may now continue with your regularly scheduled broadcast.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jon, the k40 is a front and rear mount system. it works under the same principal of the valentine one but the sensors are mounted on the front & rear bumpers with the brain in the cockpit.

the only advantage of the k40 over the valentine is the better laser detection.

BUT if you live in a state that uses laser heavily, you need a diffuser system NOT a detector if your hit with laser its already too late you have a ticket, there is only one diffuser system worth a hoot. its Blinder from www.blinder.net http://www.blinder.net/m_twin.html this system gives you 100% evasion from laser. I dont need it yet in CA because CA doesnt use laser (not approved yet). I can't wait for CA to change from KA to Laser. The day they do, ill have 0 worries. right now when KA goes off, i need to slow down.

in conclusion, k40 is = to the valentine but it requires a more complicated install & the only advantage to me is the more accurate laser detection which is useless anyway.

Thanks for the time spent responding. Do you saying the v1 is able to pick up the other signals JUST as good from inside the cockpit as the external systems mounted in the front and rear are ?? Let me know, I need one of these things bad :)

Jon

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the time spent responding. Do you saying the v1 is able to pick up the other signals JUST as good from inside the cockpit as the external systems mounted in the front and rear are ?? Let me know, I need one of these things bad :) Jon

I'm sure the pickup from outside happens faster how much i don't know. But think about radar detectors like a radio. It's a really primitive radio, it receives a signal from a certain frequency & then it beeps & tells you how strong the signal is. I'm sure there would be ways to boost the receiving signal of the detector but by how much & to what effect I'm not sure. The K40 looks like a nice system. Better then the valentine? we will have to wait for some magazine to do an article, or beat up an on duty cop friend to barrow his radar for a bit.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for a fact that laser is in use in CA. We even got a nice demo of a laser unit from a Santa Clara city motor officer before a recent Viper Club meeting (he was sitting out front of the restaurant where we meet).
thank you for the heads up. i try to never speed in the city but this bit of info has put me into gear on a diffuser system.

As far as the effectiveness of laser countermeasures - good luck; I've yet to see a reputable test indicate you are immune to laser speed measurement systems with any of the existing countermeasure systems.
Ive heard good results from my buddy in Florida. If i can get a hold of a laser speed gun ill post some results.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To help defeat the laser gun there is a product I use on my cars called Laser Veil. You take a clear license plate cover & coat both sides with Laser Veil and coat your headlights, parking light lens, & anything else on the front of your vehicle that could reflect the beam back. This greatly reduces the range of laser. If used with a V-1 laser detector you usually have time to slow down after your first hit before you get into range. Some times they hit me 3 or 4 times before they get a reading. This product has saved me twice so far.

Bo knows

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using V1s for over a decade and cannot imagine travelling without one.

In my daily cars, the Cobra and Excursion, I went as far as permanently mounting the wiring and then installing the Valentine Remote display. In the Cobra I even installed a convertible top switch (mine's a coupe that had a worthless little coin holder thing in the blank spot where the switch went) as a remote mute switch. I used a short pigtail that stays on the V1, then used a telephone extension cord with the box end that remains at the top of the windshield.

You must be registered for see images attach