HANS Device

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i strongly suggest to all viper racers, including those that support Skips Viper Days look into this product. There is usually lots of talk about what type of helmet to get when Skip comes east. don't forget about your neck. Skip you might want to look at this becomming standard safety equipment.

just my opinion.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's their web site:
http://www.hansdevice.com/information-sheet.htm

I would agree that if you are a serious racer, that you consider one of these. They have 3 different models available. With all of the money that you spend on modifying your cars, I would think that you would make a similar committment to your own safety (IMHO). Dale's death is just a grim reminder to all of us, that all of our cars are capable of the speeds that he was doing when he crashed.

Be careful out there.

Brad

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Brad - its certainly worth looking into. Things are too scary out there.

However, there is nothing that can save you from a closed head trauma. A deceleration injury can kill you with no outward signs of damage. The Hans device does a great job of stopping the head and neck from moving violently and will prevent a base skull fracture. It does not, and nothing can, stop the brain from impacting the inside of the skull in a 150 mph to 0 mph accident. You can stop the outside, but the insides are still traveling. Inertia is a scary thing. That's why some have said this device would not have been effective in this past weekend's crash. Of course, sadly, we'll never know.

Where is Greg S from Code Blue Racing - he's an ER Doc if I remember correctly - perhaps he could shed some light on this.

Stay safe.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Janni:

You are absolutely right. The HANS will also not prevent a persons internal organs from shifting (like the brain) on impact, where arteries and things can be severed. What it can do is eliminate one major concern that accounts for a large number of deaths in this sport (as well as boat racing). If nothing else, it might buy doctors time to work on a victim of an accident.

I know that all of us who venture onto the tracks know of the dangers of racing. But we never believe that it will happen to us, right? Let's reduce the chances of life threatening injuries like this. This investment gives you a little insurance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang