Hard top questions for Gen 1

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking about purchasing a Mopar hardtop for my 94 RT/10 and have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

1. Does the hardtop give any more head clearance than the factory soft top?
2. I was told by the seller that the cushion pad must be removed to install the hardtop. Do all brands of hardtops attach this way?
3. Do any of the Gen 1 hard tops have the double bubble design for helmet clearance?

Thanks.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the carbon fiber Northwind Engineering hardtop and you do not have to remove the pad to install it. This hardtop is not a double bubble design, but has a lot of headroom. It takes about a minute or less to install. I can interchange the hardtop and soft top without any changes to the car. I recently talked to the owner of the company and he still makes them.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Real question is how often and when will you need a top? Also, what look are you going for. In my opinion - the Mopar hardtop looks like an afterthought. How tall are you and do you plan to race - where extra clearance might be needed.

So am I biased? Absolutely! Love the look and usefulness of my trunktop. I left it on for 2 months after I got it just because I loved the look. I really do like the look of the Autoform top as well.

5122scan0001.jpg

R

RTED

I purchased a used OEM top last year for my 95.

1. Seems like there is definitely more head room than with the soft top.
2. The sport bar black pad does need to be removed for the OEM top. 10 minute job once you have done it once.
3. The top has a double bubble design which provides more headroom.

The top looks great, however, I do agree with ROCKET62 that the flat top made by www.trunktop.citymaker.com looks best, like it should have come from the factory. This top comes with a new sport bar that is easy to install when the hardtop is removed.
:headbang:

G

grcforce327

I'm not a huge fan of the rounded look of the autoform top, plus I already have side windows that fit the factory soft top.

I'm not either!!!CityMaker has an flush line in the back,but it creates that sunk-in uneven look from front to back of the roof line.It really boils down to what look is appealing to the owner! :eek: :eek: :eek:

G

grcforce327

Still don't know why it is being called a "trunk-top"??? It's a "ROOF-TOP"!!!!The truck is in the rear!!!GO USA!!!!! :headbang: :D :headbang:

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still don't know why it is being called a "trunk-top"??? It's a "ROOF-TOP"!!!!The truck is in the rear!!!GO USA!!!!! :headbang: :D :headbang:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this hard top will actually fit in your trunk.

G

grcforce327

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this hard top will actually fit in your trunk.

No I'm not!No,the one piece "WON'T" fit in the truck! :buttkick: :bonker:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking for the double bubble design that gives that extra helmet head room, obviously racing, then the Autoform is the best top you can buy You gain an extra 4+ inches. The top comes painted and with the windows included in the price. So realistically you can just sell your windows. No it cannot go into the trunk, which is the only draw back, but for racing you can't beat it. Personally I feel it makes the car look much like the GTS, which i love but that's only opinon. One thing that really steered me away from the 3 piece top is that i am told that there are a lot of bolts/nuts things all over the place on the inside. That does not make for a nice look or comfort feel IMHO. I am trying to take my opinion out of this and give you facts to base your decision on. Obviously everyone will tell you the top they bought is the best. Good Luck!

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, so far.

1. I'm 6'4", so headroom is a must. I've lowered the seats and don't want to take a step backwards with the lower height of the "trunk top". I like the idea of that top, but also think that it's a little flat looking from the side (IMHO).

2. The autoform also seems like a nice package, but at $3750, it's a little more than I was looking to spend right now.

3. The Mopar top does obviously look as if it's a removable top, but I'm not trying to mimic the look of a GTS. I want a top for track events, as well as for long road trips when wind and noise are a nuisance. When it's nice out, I almost always prefer the top down!

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. The autoform also seems like a nice package, but at $3750, it's a little more than I was looking to spend right now.

Give Tony at Autoform OR Jon B at parts rack, believe me you can get it shipped to your door, painted for much less than that.......

What kind of deal have you found on the Mopar top? The fact that your car is red, should help you find a used Mopar top, for cheap already painted. My car is Green so you can imagine how difficult my search was...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the factory hard top, soft top and Jeff's one piece top.
I'm not much for convertables so I didn't bother with the trunk top.
I leave Jeff's top on all the time.

If I wanted to drive the car as a convertable, I'd just pack along the factory soft top in case of rain.

His top comes with a quick change system for the pad.

Jeff's top looks so much better than the silly looking factory top, I can't believe that anyone would use anything else.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No I'm not!No,the one piece "WON'T" fit in the truck! :buttkick: :bonker:

Ahh, my bad, yes you need the 3 piece unit for that. But it looks the same on the car.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real question is how often and when will you need a top? Also, what look are you going for. In my opinion - the Mopar hardtop looks like an afterthought. How tall are you and do you plan to race - where extra clearance might be needed.

So am I biased? Absolutely! Love the look and usefulness of my trunktop. I left it on for 2 months after I got it just because I loved the look. I really do like the look of the Autoform top as well.

5122scan0001.jpg
I agree the 3 piece top is AWESOME. I have one also. I did the exact same thing, BEFORE i had the old hardtop i NEVER had it on because i don't like the look of it, but AFTER i bought the 3 piece top, i didn't want to take it off. It looks awesome!

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Red94roadster,
Give me a call sometime, if you need the headroom, then I think this may be the only option. I too am 6'4", and I can fit underneath our hardtops without any problems. They were design around our owner who is also 6'4", and he has raced in these with helmets, so I believe you will be able to accomplish all of your goals with this top. We do offer discounts for VCA members, so give me a call and we can work something out.
Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960