Help me out...w/ Engine Temperatures

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I did like you guys (and gals) suggested and I took my 2001 Viper GTS ACR (1600 miles currently, purchased in January 2003) to the shop because I see (based on guarded) it is running hot. I took it in on Thursday. On the way there, the temperature gauge moved all the way up to the red mark (overheating). It did not go into the red but it was exactly at the start of the red. It cooled down when I got more air into the engine compartment (I speed up to 65 miles per hour) but it heated back up some of the way when I got off the highway again. When I brought it into the dealer (John Elway Dodge on Arapahoe), they looked at the temp and said they could solve the problem. They just called me and said the car is operating normally and I could pick it up. Does anybody else have temperature reading this high???? From my previous conversations with members of this site that is abnormal, but I need proof. Please take a minute to respond. If this temp is normal then I won't worry about possible engine damage, but if it is not normal I need some help. Thanks.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine normally runs between the middle tick mark (half way to the red) and the middle. Lots of burping to get it to be consistent. To ease burping there are a few methods of adding a bleeder valve. See the illustrated section for how to's.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CarDude,

Having the needle so close from the red is,as defined by the shop manual " ..maximum normal- hot weather with heavy load."

If the weather was not above 95 and you were not going uphill,"pedal-to-the-metal", it is not normal.

I know that altitude has an effect on cooling,and Denvers is pretty high,right?

Ask the dealer what they did to solve the problem and may be check to make sure that you have no air in your system and that your temperature gauge is accurate.

Luc.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They checked the gauge already (don't know about the burping). And they said Dodge says it is normal for the car to run this hot. I was not driving it spirited I was just trying to get it to the dealer before it boiled over, but it was 90 something outside. If there is no problem then...I am going to stop babying the darn thing.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have a situation whereas your low speed fan is operable, but the high speed is not. I've also encountered fan blades that were floating on the motor shaft, faulty water pumps, sticking thermostats, trapped air and faulty relays. Aside from what the gauge is reading, do you know what the actual temp is by chance?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THis is not normal!!! Having a car run just before the red isn't right for normal highway driving in 5th or 6th. I don't car what the [******] manual or the Dodge dealer says!

Sorry, I don't have any advice. Have you hooked up a sensor to see what the actual temp is while driving? Perhaps your guage in the car is working properly, but reading a slightly hotter reading?

G

Warren 00 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If my memory serves me, there was an issue with some 2001 water pumps where the impeller would spin on the shaft, and not move the proper amount of coolant.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I had my water pump replaced on my 01 I can be in traffic in 100 degree weather with the A/C on and it barlew goes past center. If it does it goes right back to center soon after. The car is still hot as blazes on the inside. Too bad the car gets so hot.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We (Viper Tech and myself) came back to the dealer after driving it normally and it was 235. But again I have seen the temperature gauge probably at 240 (red line) so it is very uncomfortable to see the car get so hot. The manual they showed me had the needle right at the red line just as my is running...I guess it is OK...but I really don't know.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, if it were my car, I would have the things that Larry mentioned checked out by a competent Viper tech. Emphasis on the word competent. I think you can do a little better than having the needle on the red with the way you describe things. It might be something fairly simple. Burping is cheap and easy. These cars don't like a lot of air in the cooling system as you know. From there, I would check the relay, the fans, then the water pump & thermost.
Yes, some Vipers do run "hotter" than others, so we have a problem with "what's normal" here. My two cents. PS>>my '98 runs fine in 110F Phoenix summer with the A/C on, of course. Oh yes, keep an eye on your coolant bottle in the front fascia to be sure you have the proper level there as well. Don't want that to run dry.
Pete the ex glass guy and hot rodder

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Warren says, there is a known problem with water pumps on the 01's where the blade spins on the impeller shaft. I'd suggest replacing the water pump.