is the rattle at idle normal???

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neutral Gear Rattle (NGR). Numerous threads discussing it in archives. Short answer - no big deal, but if you are under warranty, take it in for a change of tranny fluid under the appropriate service bulletin.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem with my '97 GTS when I first got it. It was the control-arm if I remember correctly. When I pressed in the clutch it went away!
I took it in and it was fixed quick and painless under warranty.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid97 is probably right. The dread NGR. The DCX fix is too switch to a synthetic trans lube..but it will NOT go away. It will get better. It won;t cause any harm. (

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you make a conclusion on the problem, I think it's important that you pinpoint where the noise is coming from. You say that it is from the engine, if that is truly where it is coming from, then it is not the dreaded NGR and could be something that needs immediate attention.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Does the rattle go away if you raise the engine rpm to 1,000 while the clutch pedal is not pressed? Is it much quieter when you first run the car and gets worse after you run the car a few miles? That's the NGR Kid97 is talkin about.

2000 and newer models have much less NGR due to higher idle speed and some other enhancements.

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this noise at all year dependent..? i have a 95 and I have the same noise.. but. i thought this was somewhat normal for my year? then again.. i've owned the car for month. so.. what do i know.. Bill

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not notice it in my Viper yet,but my SS does it in idle with the clutch out but goes away when clutch is down.It has something to do with the clutch or throw out barring(nothing out of the ordinary)Its common with the Tremec or Borg.BTW,my SS has the same trans as my Viper...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4