Is this some kinda record....

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, well, as many of you know i have a lot of questions concerning buying/modding Vipers - more than most. I am almost ready to get my first one - when my bonus check gets here in a couple months.

If any of you remember i said that if i passed my physical i was in line for commission as a naval officer. Well, after two months of intense workout, i passed. My application is up for review now, and if accepted (i prob will be) i am golden.

My question is: how old are all of you who own vipers here? my birthday is July and i will be 19 - a few months after i plan to own a viper. I am extremely young to own a car like this and it has to come out of my own pocket. But, i am going to get what i wanted because i found a way. I guess what i am saying is (to the people here who don't own vipers) if you want it bad enough there are ways to get it. Anything.

What sparked this post was that i was at the track in my Lightning wed night and another guy there with a lightning was smoking me all night long, and he kept bragging about his being paid for and his Saleen too. It just made me think about the difference between appreciating what you work for to get, and having what you want because someone gave it to you. I find a lot of high-dollar car owners (not many VCA) and lightning owners are like that.

I just want to say thanks to the VCA members and other posters on here for being cool and sharing about a car they love, without turning their noses up at me.
smile.gif
Thanks guys

(P.s. i really hope i'm not the youngest guy here
smile.gif
)

sorry for such a long post,
Bill

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, congrats on getting close to officer rank! I remember that thread a while ago...

Let us know what you end up with!

Tomer

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok well, sorry, <FONT size="1">maybe</FONT s>i might've put this in the wrong section - and that topic might've already been beat to death, but, um, there was more to the post than that question....

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i get the viper i'll be e-3 w/ e-6 pay, contracted for commission - i won't actually get the commission until i graduate UF........(e-6 pay is still more than enough for a snake though
supergrin.gif
)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, nice post, congrats on the fitness work, I remember your original post. Rewarding...I can't think of a much better reward than knowing every effort is in aid of a Viper. No wonder you passed.

Nothing ever gets handed to you on a plate in life, but when you get the keys to your first Viper you will be handed the keys to happiness and pleasure on four wheels. Enjoy.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nadine, thanks

fuscucla, did she buy it herself? if she did - that's awesome - if not - i hope she appreciates it
supergrin.gif

Bill

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Bill, Can I give you some advice? I love my viper don't get me wrong. I am 30 years old and do pretty good for myself. But I have to tell you, I spent the better half of my later teenage years and 20s SQUADERING my hard saved money (and there was a lot, I WAS a saver since very young) on performance cars and parts. My parents warned me not to do it but I always "knew" better. Now that I'm older and married, I kick myself in the butt all the time because I wish I hadn't spent it. I'd be even farther ahead than I am now. I'm not saying don't buy the car, but think hard before you do. One day you might wake up and realize that having a nice car doesn't mean a whole lot in the vast configuration of things. INVEST THE MONEY

I have a lot of admiration for your accomplishments. It sounds like you really have things together, that's why I'm sure you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

I don't mean to preach but I thought I might just put that out there.

Good luck

By the way, some might call me a hypocrite since I am constantly spending money to modify my car. I'd say at this point I'm just a sports car ******!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm young like you, I say have fun man. But, i've also got my 1st house paid for and about 2K of total debt outside of the viper (which about half is paid for), with a 740 beacon
smile.gif

Work hard, spend WISELY but still enjoy the toys. If I keep this going correcty, I can retire a millionare at 28
laugh.gif
Not bad for generation .Com eh? (isn't that the 25 and under crowd these days?)

James

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unclegreggy - i totally agree w/ you about the investing. The way it's gonna break down is i'll have enough left over every month to keep getting more and more ahead, (hopefully), and when i get my re-enlistment bonus (assuming i do) - it's very handsome for nuke's (~60k) which is good fer a house down payment or something. With less than 1 year of credit i already have 650 beacon, with a perfect history.......i have thought long and hard but i think if i play my cards right i can have the most awesome car on the planet and still be financially prepared for the future
smile.gif
BTW, i wouldn't get the viper until the good money has been flowin' for at least a couple months so i am certain of my income. Projected gross for next year is ~50k.

(i know it's not a lot but for 19 i think it is
smile.gif

Bill
supergrin.gif

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got to E-5 in the USAF before I got out--now I'm confused...I could never have afforded Viper insurance AND the rent even on E-5 pay.

And that's my Viper insurance now. I can't imagine how much it would have been at 19...

Also--isn't your bonus taxed?

If so, you'll get back about 58% of it if I recall correclty.

Good luck, whatever happens!

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, i know it sounds wierd so here goes in a nutshell:

My Program:

Age of 18 - Became active duty status as an E-2
(enroll at UF under NAVY CASH program, active duty status, e-2 pay and benefits, one year of college)

During 1st year at College (now) - Submit application for Bachelor's Degree Completion Program (BDCP) - if accepted - E-3 pay and benefits.

January of 2nd Year (in a couple months) - NUPAC contract (nuclear officer contract) 10k bonus, w/ E-6 pay (they can't promote me so i don't get the rank, but i DO get the pay (it's called special pay grade or something)) - bonus is taxed 28% so take-home is 7200.

3rd and 4th Year of College - Go and get a 3.0 GPA

After Graduation - Attend OCS and nuke school and prototype

i hope that clears it up a little bit

Bill

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(BTW the projected gross of ~50k next year is as follows:

2 Grants for school i take home (i have a full ride) = 3k
Navy e-6 pay w/ food and housing ~2600/mnth = 31200k
Bonus = 10000k
Other job = 7800k

grand total = 52k (which i conveniently rounded to 50k
supergrin.gif
)

anyway w/ that down on a 40k viper my payment should only be ~700 a month w/ like 2-300 a month insurance so grand total of ~1k a month for the car. My rent is only 400 a month (college housing) so that's like 1800 a month to eat, play, and save

i think it looks feasible
smile.gif

Bill

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
michealp, actually in january that'll be spring, so it'll be my 5th semester i'll be starting (2 this year plus summer plus fall)

so technically a sophomore, but yes, i thought it was sweet too.

The ONLY reason i actually joined the navy was for the $$$$$ i had many other options......i still do - i'll have my physics degree when i get out so.......who knows

also, this college time counts towards retirement AND advancement so.......38 and retired
smile.gif

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA-HA...my bad--been in this tax bracket so long I began to think everyone else was treated the same (i.e. fairly). Good for you!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, Sounds like you have things planned out - that's very good. Very few people your age see the need to look ahead to the future - you're one step ahead. I really hope you get every thing you set your sights for. Good luck!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh oh... someone who will play with nukes who represents 31,200$ as 31,200,000$ (3100K)... This does not look good for our national security gentelment!
wink.gif
hehe.. just busting ya a bit man
wink.gif

Your bonus is taxable, so you'll get like 6K from it. Just make sure you can afford everything... a grand a month for 6 years is pretty harsh on a car
frown.gif

I did the military route, until my back screwed.. and here I am. It was all for the best though, never would have made my money, met my (soon to be)wife or had my viper
smile.gif
Just wish they would drop the PFC (USMC) from my SSN one day
tongue.gif

James

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah....about that 31200k thing.....yeah....i'm just gonna hafta go ahead and sorta ask you guys to....uh.....disregard that.....yeah.....that'd be great.....yea thanks

Bill