latches on the RT/10 hardtop coming loose

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front latches on my '99 RT/10 hardtop keep coming loose (i.e. they won't stay fully locked on anything but the smoothest road). Any pointers on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine doing the same when I had an Rt/10. What I did to solve it was simple. I used velcroe straps. Worked great and stoped the latches from vib loose.

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bBruce,
I had the same problem. In fact, those nasty little dog ears caused my top to blow off during a 80mph jaunt up route 4 outside of Washington DC. Thank goodness no one was behind me at the time. Shortly thereafter, I decided to replace it with an after market top. Following a week or two of research, I purchased a Double Bubble Hard Top w/Integrated Roof Scoop from VMAINA (1st one off the line for gen 2 RT/10's). Aside the from the look, the latch design was more in line with the 21st century. To date, I've been very happy and have received lots of compliments on the top itself. BTW, the lathes secure in place and stay there. So my point is, ditch the oem top and get a top of the line replacement. Just remember, the question is not "if", but "when" will it blow off and scare the hell out of you. Call Biff Brown at VMAINA @703-960-6682

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kevin! Long time no see or hear! What's up?

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
I've been following the posts regarding "the most streetable" viper in the country. Congratulations! As for me, I'm back home on the east coast after an extended visit to USi's west coast data center. Needless to say, I'm ready for some viper weather, east coast style. Now that xmas is come and gone, I've been planning a few mods to the car (i.e., mopar spoiler, corsa cat back, and a sub to the trunk). Although, these mods pail in comparison to your beast. In any case, I'm planning on stopping by Jason's sometime in the near future to say hi and pick his brain on some viper related stuff. Maybe I'll see ya around the shop...love to see the "baddest kid" on the block.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Stitely,
did dc cover the damaged oem top with a new one?
then did you sell it to get the aftermarket one?
now ya got me a bit concerned.
Even though i usually go without the top most of the summer.

thanks
JIM

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BruceW:
The front latches on my '99 RT/10 hardtop keep coming loose (i.e. they won't stay fully locked on anything but the smoothest road). Any pointers on how to fix this would be appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latches can be replaced under warranty (got some on order myself, think they are $250 each). However, your problem may be due to something minor. Each of the hardtop latches (at least on my 98, presumably the same on the 99) should have U-shaped retainer clips (which can be bought at Lowe's) which hold the part of the latch which you rotate into a clamped position to the main piece of the latch which is screwed into the top, effectively putting more pressure on the spring which holds the ball bearing into place. Without this U-clip, there is more "play" in the latch mechanism, since it is not restraining the ball bearing's movement as much as it should, and it hops out of its locked-position groove. I haven't yet transferred the pictures of the broken down latch assembly to my computer, else I'd help you with some pics (at some point, I'll be posting a "tech" piece on the latches, given my extensive personal experiences, though I'm no mechanical type).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and another possibility is that the nuts on the backside of the latches (you have to unscrew them from the top to see) has worked itself loose a bit, creating "play", but as I recall from my experience, generated rattling over rough surfaces, rather than actually unlatching the top, like in my prior post, but I guess it could be possible that this is the problem.

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
To answer your question, no, DC did not cover the damage. Alternatively, my insurance covered the damage (btw, no questions asked or premium increase). I kept the top and used the insurance money to cover the cost of an aftermarket VMAINA Double Bubble.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Stitely:
Gary,
I've been following the posts regarding "the most streetable" viper in the country. Congratulations!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! Come on up for a ride sometime, this is one unbelievable beast! Glad to see you're still among the living! hahaha!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Stitely,
glad it all worked out.
I will definitely be a more aware of the front latches
thank you for the tip.

JIM
smile.gif