lo tire light

mikerae

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the tires checked and all the pressure transmitters are working, the pressures are all at 30 psi, and the light is still on and won't go off. I have bran new ps2 on the car, i was told by the tire people to have 33 lbs, but the door sill says 29 lbs, i was told to put them all at 33 psi, this did not work, i went down 1 lb on each tire and drove it for a while, got to 30 lbs on all and it will still not go out, they are transmitting, what can i do ?

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might have a bad tire sensor. has the light been on ever since you got tires put on? they might have damaged one.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mikerae asked: "i had the tires checked and all the pressure transmitters are working"...checked how, by whom, with what device???

" what can i do ? " Start over at a Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership (or someone who is serious about contemporary Mopars/racing)...have them use a DRB III to look at your system...and attempt to reprogram your TPMS's module. Aftermarket tools such as the Bartec's used at many tire shops can read sensors BUT NOT link to module.

Afterthought: If you are in snow country and are not able to drive the Viper at least 1.2 miles at a speed in the teens (mph)...the sensors will not read correctly...even if you reprogram them with the correct tool until you meet motion and speed criteria. Therefore, if all of this is static testing...you could find that all is well when you get rolling. As stated...just a late thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikerae

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the sensor was good for about 300 km then it came on, the tire shop used there sensor checker. stopped at dodge and they said it was because i was running the psi too high at 33 as the door said 29 and were no help at all, but the tire shop said that was too low. the tires were from viper parts of America, they said that they tested all the sensors and as i said it worked fine for the first while and they also mounted the tires and filled with nitrogen and then they were shipped.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wait.. did you get tires, wheels and sensors from ViperParts? or did the tire store put the new tires on your old wheels?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike
My TPMS idiot light has been on since taking delivery of a brand new car nothing will make it go out.
I haven't had time to swing by my local incompetent Dodge dealer yet so I just ignore it.
When I got the car there was less than 18 pounds of pressure in the tires (nice prep job Tomball) which probably set it off and it's been on since.

OP
OP
M

mikerae

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hear you there, if one more guy at dodge gives me a smart answer im going to take his head off !!!. I'm scared to go as every time they get close to the car they do damage.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
So, you have NOT had your new wheels programmed to YOUR Viper at a dealership with a Chrysler DRB III or using a wiTECH 's DRB III Emulator...YES or NO ??

If the answer is "no"...just visit your dealer, ask them to plug in a standard DRB III...then follow the steps to open the TPMS...then apply magnet to LF valve stem...hear a tone , move to RF, hear a tone..then RR etc...then LR etc and you should by ready for a short, quick test drive.

Join us at Indy Speedway in May with your Viper and I'll try above for FREE!! :)

Last edited:

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, sounds like you need the new tire pressure sensors programmed to the car. sad to hear the dealer is being a ****** about it. if you were local i'd tell you to swing by my dealer and i'd knock it out.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have the psi that SRT suggests not a tire dealer unless they are auto engineers and know something that SRT does not. I am not worried about fuel or tire milage on my Viper, I just want it to stay on the road. If the tires wear out fast that means that I have been having a good time.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a different set of wheels, with different sensors (not yet programmed to the car), it will require retraining the system with a DRB III. I'm pretty sure there is no aftermarket scan tool or TPMS tool that will do the job. My Snap-on Verus won't do it, and it's the latest/greatest available currently. You have to be able to access the "chassis system" with the scan tool to enable TPMS relearn on the ZB platform (Viper). Only the DRB III has that capability.-will have to go to the dealer. Concerning the pressure recommendation by the tire shop, they have probably just noticed the same thing that I have. That being that there is an average discrepancy of TPMS pressures being reported appx.3-4 PSI lower than what you read with an accurate stick gauge. I have seen this consistently with all makes import/domestic. (other vehicles besides chrysler ZB, we can read the reported tire pressures with the scan tool) Always 3-4 PSI low. So 32-33 with a tire gauge is 29 to the computer. 29 with a gauge is only 25-26 to the computer. TPMS criteria for MIL (turning on the light) varies a little by make/model, but as a general guideline is -any tire pressure variance by 25%, any tire pressure less than 75% of the stated pressure on the tire placard (door sticker), any tire pressure 25% over stated pressure, any sensor report absent. Hope this info helps, I hassle with this kind of crap all day long. (it's part of my job):mad:-----Allan

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
mikerae, I sent some info to you via e-mail...hope that it helps!!

This is a frustrating issue for many 2003-06 and 2008-10 Viper Owners!!!!

OP
OP
M

mikerae

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks everybody for taking the time to help me with this issue, i think i know what to do now, its great to have people to talk with that know whats going on, thanks everybody for your time and effort, mikerae red deer alberta canada

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets