methanol

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blue windshield washer fluid that's rated to -20 below. I also add 1 bottle of HEET to one gallon of washer fluid. Get the HEET in the yellow bottle, it's 100% methanol.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. What is the methanol content of the -20 windshiled washer fluid?
Pretty low. Around 15% is what I was told.

I'm using this and mixing it 50/50 with water:

DSC014471.JPG

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem w/ windshield washer fluid is that the **** content is inconsistent from bottle to bottle... so if you mix your own 50/50 or 25/75, you will always know the ratios.

my .02...

JD

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I try to use -40 w. washer. Standard mix is 80% ****, and easy to buy cheap. My Roe instructions say 0 degree w. washer fluid but the -40 works great.

Ted

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always been told to use Windshield Washer Fluid that is rated to -30 degree F.

This was straight from Roe Racing... I was told this is what they use.

Jason

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to start any trouble here but...Do I understand you guys correctly that you drive the Greatest sports car in the world (mostworthwellover $50,000) and you are putting "windshield washer fluid" in your **** tank and mixing it with premium gas (or race fuel) to run 500+ h.p. hi performance engines? And this is done to save a couple of dollars? I would recommend going to the local speed shop and buying "real" methanol and mixing exactly the proportions you need with the confidence of knowing exactly what you are putting into "your pride and joy". Don't try to save a dime on one of the most important aspects of of your car.

Again, I am not trying to offend any one, I just can't believe someone would pour some blue liquid into their fuel tanks.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to start any trouble here but...Do I understand you guys correctly that you drive the Greatest sports car in the world (mostworthwellover $50,000) and you are putting "windshield washer fluid" in your **** tank and mixing it with premium gas (or race fuel) to run 500+ h.p. hi performance engines? And this is done to save a couple of dollars? I would recommend going to the local speed shop and buying "real" methanol and mixing exactly the proportions you need with the confidence of knowing exactly what you are putting into "your pride and joy". Don't try to save a dime on one of the most important aspects of of your car.

Again, I am not trying to offend any one, I just can't believe someone would pour some blue liquid into their fuel tanks.

Great post. And yeah, what happens to the blue dye. I mean, what becomes blue residue somewhere.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For less than the cost of (1) trip to the gas station for a fillup, you can buy 5 gallons of "real" methanol. I mix that 50/50 which is ten gallons. That is enough alcohol/water for an average driver to last well over a year.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperless, what did you pay for the VP methanol? I called a local speed shop and they wanted to charge me a $100 shipping fee!!???

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperless, what did you pay for the VP methanol? I called a local speed shop and they wanted to charge me a $100 shipping fee!!???
$27.62 + tax for the five gallon jug. Comes out to $3/gallon when mixed 50/50. I bought it from a snowmobile race shop. You need to find a dealer that normally stocks VP race fuels otherwise you'll get nailed for the hazardous material shipping fees.

There are other alternatives, you just have to search around a bit.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was getting it from a friend I raced motocross with (VP dealer) for $50.00 5gal then when to Maryland performance shop and got it for $35.00 right off their floor

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$27.62 + tax for the five gallon jug. Comes out to $3/gallon when mixed 50/50. I bought it from a snowmobile race shop. You need to find a dealer that normally stocks VP race fuels otherwise you'll get nailed for the hazardous material shipping fees.

There are other alternatives, you just have to search around a bit.

One large stainless steel stock ***, coil of 1/4" copper, glass flask, duct tape, bushel of corn... :headbang:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The different shops I can get methanol from have 55 gallon drums and you bring your container to them. You can buy 1 gal or 55 gal.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I didn't buy any from them. They stock VP fuels, when I went there he had about 30 55 gallon drums of various octanes. I think he just wanted to make me cover his shipping fees for his next order. I was going to buy a 55 gallon drum of 100 octane unleaded and the 5 gallon of methanol. I look for another source.

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the room or facilities, you can call a local fuel distributor and ask for a 55 gallon drum. I think I paid ~ $100+ drum deposit+delivery (~ $20). So about $130 for a 55 gallon drum.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get mine at Smiley's in Ft. Worth for around the same price as unleaded regular gasoline. They fill customer's containers in whatever quantity you want. Mix your own 50/50 and know what you are getting. I use distilled water from a grocery store. Here's a link to see if there is a Smiley's near you. http://www.smileysracing.com/locations.php

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many racetracks sell methanol also.

What percentage is everyone running for **** injextion? Some of the Buick GN guru's swear that running 100% **** is the only way to go.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What percent of water / methanol would you have to dilute the mix to keep the highest methanol percent and not be flammable?

Patrick.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your water/**** mix makes a difference in your tuning and you need to use what your car is tuned for. It's not just a matter of changing over to straight Methanol and getting more power. Talk to a good tuner and he might recommned different mixtures for different types of driving according to what super charger/boost/outside temp/etc. to get a better tune out of your car.

The reason for injecting water/**** is to cut down on detonation, which can destroy your pistons and rings so the best advise is what the tuner says.

Ted

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the reason for using the water /**** system the question was if anyone could tell me the most amount of **** that can be in the mix with out being flamable for safety reasons.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the reason for using the water /**** system the question was if anyone could tell me the most amount of **** that can be in the mix with out being flamable for safety reasons.

I believe the answer to this is that it needs to be no more than a 50/50 mix. I know the Snow Performance Boost Juice is mixed 49/51 to allow it to be safely shipped by common carriers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte