My NARRA@Road America 2012-05-13 weekend results + video footage

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This was my first NARRA event, and let me just say, ... wow! What an amazing group. My face was gleaming all weekend at just how many vipers where there.

I got the chance to meet a lot of forum members here at the track, and also a few of the Viper Cup teams. It's very cool how friendly everyone was.

Watching the endless line formations of vipers in the false grid and on track was just unreal! :D

David Pintaric, it was really nice to meet you and your crew. Thanks again for all the help you've given me here before. I really appreciate the fact that you contribute to this communities road racing info. Terribly sorry about your Saturday and I'm so glad you're ok. I look forward to attending future NARRA events to cheer you on. :)

Keith (Viperlesss), nice to meet you dude. Really impressive how quickly you were able to get up to speed on the track. Congrats on both your TTU wins! Put a cage in it! ;)

Seth and Richard, great battles in TT1. You guys gave me the push to get an additional 2 seconds out of my car. :headbang:

Lisa, thanks to you and all those that helped put on such a great event!

Here's my video footage:
https://vimeo.com/42179565

Thanks again EVERYONE!

- Keith, 06 Blue/White First Edition

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice run--- im going there in july, so im watching this over and over

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my first NARRA event, and let me just say, ... wow! What an amazing group. My face was gleaming all weekend at just how many vipers where there.

I got the chance to meet a lot of forum members here at the track, and also a few of the Viper Cup teams. It's very cool how friendly everyone was.

Watching the endless line formations of vipers in the false grid and on track was just unreal! :D

David Pintaric, it was really nice to meet you and your crew. Thanks again for all the help you've given me here before. I really appreciate the fact that you contribute to this communities road racing info. Terribly sorry about your Saturday and I'm so glad you're ok. I look forward to attending future NARRA events to cheer you on. :)

Keith (Viperlesss), nice to meet you dude. Really impressive how quickly you were able to get up to speed on the track. Congrats on both your TTU wins! Put a cage in it! ;)

Seth and Richard, great battles in TT1. You guys gave me the push to get an additional 2 seconds out of my car. :headbang:

Lisa, thanks to you and all those that helped put on such a great event!

Here's my video footage:
https://vimeo.com/42179565

Thanks again EVERYONE!

- Keith, 06 Blue/White First Edition

Great meeting you as well Keith! Great video!

Fantastic weekend. Totally blew away my expectations.

I'll get my video up as soon as I can.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith, what tires are you running?
It seems that in most of the videos of "really fast" runs, the driver is constantly "sawing" at the wheel through corners.
I've only done one track weekend so far, so I'm definitely not at the "really fast" level yet. I'm just wondering because I'm not fighting the wheel like that and I'm curious if it because I'm not going fast enough yet or if that is something that comes with switching to R6's or the like. I feel like if if I was yanking the wheel around that on my street tires, I'c end up off the track before too long. :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well in a perfect world you would have no sawing at the wheel, but driveing aggresive and fast will put you at one point sawing.... in my opinion....

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running Hoosier R6 345/295. The car pushes like a *****, but to get around that I am at least always off throttle into the apex, or even trail braking a little.

Because of this, especially the trail braking, the rear end can get a little loose, hense the sawing into turn 5 and 12.

In a perfect lap though, there would be absolutely no sawing. However, every lap conditions change. Brakes get hotter, don't bite as much, tires get hotter, don't grip as much, track gets warmer, grips more, etc.. The point is that you are constantly testing the limits of your grip to know how hard you can push it. This is where the sawing comes in.

My highlights with the excessive sawing are complete failures of a turn. It LOOKS cool with all that wheel action which is why I add those to the video, but, it kills the lap and is a driver error on my part.

If you get the car into a situation that requires even minimal sawing as a novice, you're pushing too hard. :p

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,
That is some nice driving given the severe push you were expierencing. I suggest getting some adjustable shocks on that beast so you can adjust "some" of that push out of the car, maybe some AERO on the car as well. Look me up at the next club meeting and we can chat. By the way my best time for the weekend was only a little faster 1:19.07 in a full race preped Comp Coupe. So GREAT TIME in your car. WELL DONE!!!!!!

Steve
USGT#007

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, I actually have motons and aero. My setup guy keeps pushing me to make some shock adjustments, and I probably should.

I think its time though that I made the step to a 305 or 315 front to help neutralize the car a bit, and then work the shock settings a bit. I think I've gone as far as the 295's can take me and have learned enough to feel comfortable with a more neutral setup.

Are you doing any other local events? Two years ago I was doing 15+ local events a year and rarely saw any vipers.. this year though I plan to get out and see more tracks outside of the local region.

If I recall you were in the GT race. I was watching you guys by the kink. Holy cow what an awesome vantage point to watch fast cars go through. :)

- Keith

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video and congrats on the PB. I found the same was true for me at NARRA....so many faster-than-normal cars out there I too scrubbed 2 seconds off my PB by chasing "rabbits".

What software do you use to get the dashboard stuff in the lower right hand corner to appear? Really nice to see that.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use Traqmate to record the session data, and I have it linked up to my GoPro HD Hero 2 to automatically start recording video when I record sessions. This makes syncing up data REAL easy.

Then, I use Traqstudio by Traqmate to add the data overlay.

The only downside is that the HD Hero 2 records great video in 1080p, but TraqStudio will only output 720p.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx. I run RLC so unless i want to switch I gotta figure out another way! Looks great though.

aspcar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great fun @ RA. I enjoyed being the rabbit!

You must be registered for see images attach

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith, My summer is quite full so I don't know about any club or other events. Definetly get some wider tires on the front, they will help a great deal!!!!! Shock adjustments will also help. If I can answer any questions send me a PM and I'll give you my numbers and we can talk. But based on your times at RA I don't know how much help I can be. But I'll try. Yes I was running in the USGT race.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video and congrats on the PB. I found the same was true for me at NARRA....so many faster-than-normal cars out there I too scrubbed 2 seconds off my PB by chasing "rabbits".

What software do you use to get the dashboard stuff in the lower right hand corner to appear? Really nice to see that.

You should try Race Render, it's pretty fantastic, costs about $35 but you can import your data and video and combine them all, add PIP from multiple camera's, overlay the data you imported from RLC (it is compatible) onto the video with tach, speedo, lap counter, timers, track map and then resize all of the gauges and even create custom gauges as well and move them anywhere on the screen you want. It's really fun to play with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456