My new Tom's 40mm rear calipers!!!

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got some treats today and I'm stoked. Going to put them on this weekend hopefully, and add the old EBC Greens that I have.
Thanks Tom. Check was posted today.
-jb
You must be registered for see images

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom's rear upgrade has been a great improvement on my car. You will like it! If you track, ditch the greens.

OP
OP
B

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy it just looks like a "plug-and-play" of remove and replace the caliper. The only deviation from the manual, is Tom prefers that you don't remove the parking brake arm, as if you turn it hard the wrong way, you can damage the mechanism and damage the core. Just remove the cable with pliers/needlenose vicegrips.
The biggest pain is bleeding. My kids or wife have a hard time with "hold it there" and always pump the brakes while the bleeder's open. I usually wait for my fellow gearhead son to help when he's around.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boy it just looks like a "plug-and-play" of remove and replace the caliper. The only deviation from the manual, is Tom prefers that you don't remove the parking brake arm, as if you turn it hard the wrong way, you can damage the mechanism and damage the core. Just remove the cable with pliers/needlenose vicegrips.
The biggest pain is bleeding. My kids or wife have a hard time with "hold it there" and always pump the brakes while the bleeder's open. I usually wait for my fellow gearhead son to help when he's around.

I use the Motive pressure bleeder....never looked back....Love it. And I bleed my brakes several times a year.

Tom's calipers work better than the stock setup. You can fine tune it with a bias valve as needed if wanted for the track.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note re: Bleeding.

You may have to do it a second time anyway. The threaded rod, ball bearings, needle bearings, washers and snap rings inside for the internal parking brake mechanism often capture air bubbles. Vigorous yanking on the parking brake handle and kicking the brake pedal during the bleeding process may help. If not, a short drive will do it. The amount of air "stuck" only leads to what feels like a slightly long pedal, not a severely spongy one.

Results of unscrewing the brake lever arm bolt (without internal stop) can be "mild":
pulledthrough.jpg

or can be severe:
broken1.JPG

If you must do it, use vise-grips or something to hold onto the arm itself. However, in all cases I know of the brake cable has enough slack to pull and unhook from the arm.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes...the entraped air issue.

I've taken to moving the Ebrake arm and tapping the caliper with a mallet. It seems to get the air out when bleeding. I also don't bleed just a little, I tend to flush 2 or 3 bottles through each time. At $4 a bottle not a big deal for solid brakes.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Tom's brakes for the last 4 years. I run B3s on the track and EBC greens on the street. I also removed the prop valve. The pads wear even front to back. This last Gingerman session, with front and rear pads equal at the start of the session. I actually toasted the back ones first. That is likely due to the fact that they are now braking about the same (although the front will still lock first) and are a smaller pad area.

VERY happy with this brake addition to our car.

Steve

OP
OP
B

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well found some time, and did up the calipers. Nothing to it.
Bled everything with some Motul 600, and I'm ready to test tomorrow.
Thanks Tom. Cores coming back to you soon.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Tom's 40mm Brake upgrade also, I love them. The car stops SO much better. Tom also sells caliper covers for the rear calipers also, they look awesome on my Viper. After having the brake upgrade for so long I can;t imagine driving without them! They are very simple to install also, plus Tom's a great guy to do business with!:2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you.

If you go, you have to slow. Folks spending to go faster should invest at least a small percentage of that in slowing back down. The 40mm calipers are quick, easy, and relatively not much $$.

BAD68GTO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't post much on the Morgue as I am over at the Alley, but wanted to say I received Toms 40mm calipers for my Roe 00 GTS and installed them. Tom's service was great and the calipers work as described balancing the car's braking system and giving me the extra stopping power I needed. Now I can hammer the brakes more and use what I have without the fronts locking up. I am using Brakeman 3 pads I purchased from Woodhouse with the Extreme 6 fluid and it is a nice system. I know I could have spent 400% more for the extra (I estimate) 5-10% braking power, but I have no regrets and would do the same over again. What I will say is I opted to purchase the rear caliper covers and they look a hell of a lot nicer in person than in the picture. I have black HRE wheels and I purchased the black covers and they look VERY VERY nice on my car, and unless you are right up on them (and own a Viper) you never realize they are covers. Happy customer and I am a picky guy.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's a pic of a brake cover on my '94....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper